Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2006, 08:23 PM   #1

I'm curious - whay are there no gas pushers? I've posted this on other websites and so far not heard much of a good reason why if I want the engine in the rear it has to be diesel. Can someone out there enlighten me?

Northern, CA
Brickem' Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2006, 08:23 PM   #2

I'm curious - whay are there no gas pushers? I've posted this on other websites and so far not heard much of a good reason why if I want the engine in the rear it has to be diesel. Can someone out there enlighten me?

Northern, CA
Brickem' Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:42 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I really don't know with any degree of certainty, but I'd think it was because there isn't a suitable engine and drive train available to the chassis builders and the lack of that availability is likely because there would be a poor market for them.

The diesel engines put out gobs of torque to push these behemoth rigs being produced these days and a gas engine of comparable specs would be huge, necessitating a different configuration for the installation in a 'pusher' style motorhome.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:35 AM   #4

I sort of remember reading that a gas engine has an overheating problem with a rear configuration.I think it was something about the horspower needed to run the fan needed for cooling.
BOB
Old 07-25-2006, 04:58 AM   #5

I too remember this question being asked. One reason put forth was because of heat problems. GM had a car with a rear engine and it too had heat problems/fires but it also had a lot of other issues.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:23 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If memory serves me, one of the chassis manufacturers tried a gas pusher some years ago. I don't remember the chassis, but they used the Ford 460 and they just couldn't keep it from overheating.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:35 AM   #7

My insurance agent has a gas pusher that I believe was built in the late 80's and is in the Monaco line. He had to replace the engine about 4 years ago. He loves the coach, but says it could use more power. It looked like a new one the last time I saw it.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:11 AM   #8

There is, but no slides--check this site: http://www.special-interest-veh.com/

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Do you think that a major manufacturer such as Workhorse should make a rear gas pusher (RGP) using the current GM Vortec gas engine?

What would be the advantages?

What would be the disadvantages?

Do you think that modern technology advances would overcome the previous failures that were experienced by other manufactures that attempted to build an RGP?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:37 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:...Do you think that modern technology advances would overcome the previous failures that were experienced by other manufactures that attempted to build an RGP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the answer to your question is yes. And, if any manufacturer could do it, Workhorse would be one of them.

If the previous problems were solved, I also think there would be a fairly large market for the RGP.

Just imagine that new proposed Chevy V10 back there pushing you and Roxy down the road.....
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:46 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

A "pusher" chassis is specialized - it is suitable for Rvs and buses only. Front engines are also suitable for trucks, making the same basic chassis suitable for two different products. Ford derives their RV chassis from the Superduty series of trucks and probably does not see enough market for producing a specialized gas pusher chassis for the motorhome market. Workhorse, I suppose, could have gone the pusher route when they developed the W series and I have often wondered why they did not.

Rear engines do indeed have cooling problems, but diesels run hotter tan gas engines and so obviouslythe problem is solvable. I suspect that there is extra costinvolved and the whole reason for usng gas engines is for alower priced chassis. Perhaps it simply doesn't make sense to investmoney in a rear gas pusher if it would end up close to a diesel in price. Most folks would choose the diesel if there was not a big difference.

With todays large market for motorhome chassis, I wonder if the economics may have changed. Freightliner has introduced a FRED (front engine diesel) chassis so why not a gas pusher?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:17 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I asked this all I got was nays. I'm w/Teach and to a point Gary.

The advantages I could see are: flat drivers floor, potential for areodynamic front end (like link above), engine noise in back, like diesel, huge open basements. Need I add more? I feel the advantages would have a very large appeal to buyers.

As for heat, deal with it, we're doing it with engine in front now. The problems encountered in the past probably could be more easily handled now w/newer technology. Or as someone suggested in face to face conversation about the "great engineers" a particular company has, "hire better engineers". If a group of engineers get on a particular train of thought they often remain there. Sorta like inertia.
Remember when the Wankle rotary came out. Building on the proven is not necessarily a good idea when you're wanting monumental improvement.
Also when the same problem that has confounded the group is given to someone who has not been influenced by the group's thinking may well come up with resolution from an entirely different approach. Also kinda like gang mentality
Added production costs. Where? Shorter driveshaft or altogether eliminated. How does it have to be more expensive?

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #13

It will very probably be a marketing decision when and if it happens. I have no doubt it can be done sucessfully, and some beautiful coaches would probably be the end result. They have done it before and when marketing needs a new hook, it may happen again. As for being too expensive, it will never approach the diesel for increased price. Just IMHO.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:55 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Homer, take a read here, topic not long ago was abruptly cut off but now? I'm not interested in huge corp doing it. Sometimes little guys spring up with a huge hit.
Workhorse Custom Chassis Motorhome Forum Bit of an over weight prob W22

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote