Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Why are there two AC Breaker Panels and 50 Amp Service Question?

Hello,

Starting to troubleshoot generator not powering anything but I'm curious why this Coach has 2 Breaker Panels. Can someone help me understand the AC Power Path. I do understand the Power Converter (AC to DC) and the MagneTek has the battery charger.

MagneTek 6345 Power Converter - 30 | 15 | 20 | 15 | 20 | 20 Amp Breakers (from left)

This Panel mounted nexted to the MagneTek - 50 | 30 | 20 | 15 | 20 | 20 Amp Breakers (from left)

Mounted above the MagneTek

According to this Thread I should have 2 50 Amp Breakers for 50 Amp Service, I only see 1. The previous owner said no problems plugging into 50 Amp Service.

Is BFlinn181 incorrect in Post #2 in that Thread?

Also in that thread (linked above) he mentioned for that particular Gulf Stream Coach there was no ATS installed. After not being able to find one I thought perhaps I didn't have one either. But as I was taking pictures for this thread I found the ATS I believe under the bed.

I don't know the brand / model yet, need to get in there and clean the label off.

I do have some questions about my generator not being able to power anything in the Coach, it did the first day when I could run the rear A/C unit on generator. I'm not sure if there are breakers in that ATS and I don't understand the 2 breakers on the generator, 1 20 amp and 1 30 amp (30 amp was in the off position). Perhaps I have a bad ATS.

My Battery Control Center - I first thought the ATS or a relay for this was in there.

Generac NP-66G Circuit Breakers - Why 1 30 Amp and 1 20 Amp?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
What does the Transfer switch look like and what brand
Old 08-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #3

I may have been editing the post during your reply.

It's the 4th picture from the top in Post #1. Tomorrow, I'll lift the bed and get a better look at it. I don't know the manufacturer and model yet.
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 08-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #4

I used google images and found

Don't know the exact model of mine but it does look like that label, so maybe Todd Engineering Sales, Inc. in Elkhart, Indiana

Old 08-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a different set up but if the generator is not powering anything I would look for breakers on the generator itself first.

I've seen set-ups with two breaker panels when one feeds from AC and one from AC and inverter.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #6

RE: 1996 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 50 Amp, Automatic Transfer Switch, Generator

these generators can have breakers elsewhere on the generator? Our coach doesn't have an inverter, at least I don't think so (nothing in the battery compartments or up front in the Battery Control Center bay or in any interior cabinet).
Old 08-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When mine stopped powering anything and the house breakers seemed fine I searched my generator and found two breakers both tripped. No problems since. That is where I would start. Then I'd see if everything works on shore power.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #8

on that last picture in Post #1, I did have both those Breakers on (the 20 Amp was the one originally only on), turned both off, then 1 on at a time. I look for more breakers around the generator.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #9

Well, while searching around with google, I found this forum thread here on irv2: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/gener...6g-153907.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom17 View Post
I had the same problem on my QP65 and it turned out the field boost current is only applied while the start button is pushed. You can try holding the button a little longer to let the current build or install a field boost kit (0H07850SRV) which provides a current source independent of the start button being depressed. Have not had a problem with 120VAC coming up since the install.
I sent Tom17 a pm just to confirm I need to keep holding the Start Button down for 3-5 more seconds after the generator engine starts to keep the field boost circuit going. I may install that kit.

Has worked both times I have tried (once with shore power connected, once without. Hopefully that will help those with Generac NP-66G Generator, mine is propane. THANK YOU @Tom17 !!!!!!!

My Stop button on the generator does not work, the one on the dash does. I can always cut off the propane (the manual has this as a proper procedure for long term storage). I'll look at that stop button issue in the future.

After several seconds, I can here the click in the ATS. Microwave comes on, I can use the Frig on AC and I can turn on rear A/C, this is off the 20 Amp Generator breaker/leg.

I need to have the 30 Amp breaker on for the front A/C, high/low fan works but the breaker gets tripped when the front A/C tries to go on. Any suggestions on that?

Old 08-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Well, while searching around with google, I found this forum thread here on irv2: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/gener...6g-153907.html

I sent Tom17 a pm just to confirm I need to keep holding the Start Button down for 3-5 more seconds after the generator engine starts to keep the field boost circuit going. I may install that kit.

Has worked both times I have tried (once with shore power connected, once without. Hopefully that will help those with Generac NP-66G Generator, mine is propane. THANK YOU @Tom17 !!!!!!!

My Stop button on the generator does not work, the one on the dash does. I can always cut off the propane (the manual has this as a proper procedure for long term storage). I'll look at that stop button issue in the future.

After several seconds, I can here the click in the ATS. Microwave comes on, I can use the Frig on AC and I can turn on rear A/C, this is off the 20 Amp Generator breaker/leg.

I need to have the 30 Amp breaker on for the front A/C, high/low fan works but the breaker gets tripped when the front A/C tries to go on. Any suggestions on that?

Does the front A/C work on shore power?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #11

Yes, on shore power I can run either the Front or Rear but my current dedicated circuit is a 20amp here at the house and I am using the following extension cord so I can't run both at the same time now:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-1...n-Cord/3191731

I had to use that 100' plugged into the Coach's RV 50amp cord (with converter cables) since the RV plug was in the back yard with the septic tank connection, wife wants the Coach parked on the other side off the house.

I try to keep it max at 15 amps though with the included 9" adapter and the outlet. In the future, I will have an electrician install a 30 Amp dedicated RV Plug or maybe a 50 Amp (not sure I need to go through the extra cost for 50 here at home though).

EDIT: Tom sent a PM and said:

Quote:
You may have a weak breaker that's tripping when the AC compressor kicks on. It pulls a pretty good surge at startup.
Not sure how to test for a weak breaker, probably would just have to replace it. Perhaps someone else has another tip/suggestion.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #12

?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Yes, on shore power I can run either the Front or Rear but my current dedicated circuit is a 20amp.

OK ... from the above, if I understand correctly, you can run the front A/C on a 20 amp shore line with no problem but if on generator, that front A/C trips a 30 amp breaker. Correct ??

Theoretically, the only difference between those paths is the transfer switch.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #13

Yes, on shore power (also using the 100' extension cable, see the reason why above) which is to a 20Amp dedicated circuit, I alternate running the Front and Rear A/C units. On hot days, one day the rear A/C, the next day the front A/C - of course don't even try to run both at the same time with the current shore power setup. I do have the fridge on (AC) and don't use the Microwave.

On Generator, the Front A/C fans won't even work unless the bottom generator breaker (30 Amp) is on. With that breaker on, I can run the front A/C unit's fan on low or high. If I set to Cool and the compressor tries to go on, the bottom 30 Amp generator breaker trips.

The top Breaker on the generator is 20 Amp and can run the Rear A/C even on high. It seems the Microwave and fridge also come off this breaker. I'll have to test with just the bottom 30 Amp breaker on the generator to see if the Microwave and Fridge get AC.

I have a picture of the Generator's breakers in Post #1.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #14

Part of your question was about 2 50 amp breakers and you could see only one. The second picture show a single throw, 2 pole breaker (50 amp) so you do indeed have 2 50 amp breakers as the schematic indicated. MO

Tags
120v, 50 amp, a/c, ats, breaker, generator, gernerac, gulf stream, panel, service