RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2019, 12:18 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Sorry Kid that my humor is lost on you, my apologies.

If you really are wanting to save money wouldn't you just drive the Honda to a Super 8?

Campers of any flavor are a money pit.
A Super 8😲. My neighbor said, just after he sold his 5ver and I bought one, “you can stay in a $200 a night motel room and put money in your pocket”! He was RIGHT!😁

mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2019, 12:23 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
On our Summer trip out West (7,000 miles) I started using the truck lanes to fill up with diesel and found it so much easier to navigate through them and faster to pump. I got so fed up with some RV’ers using the RV lanes at Flying J pumping their fuel then staying parked at the pump while they went in and shopped, finally to come back out 20-30 minutes later then take another 5-10 minutes fooling around inside before finally vacating the pump! At all the truck lanes I went to if there was a trucker at the pump as soon as they were done they pulled up to the line, so I could access the pump. Etiquette says to do that and not to stay parked at the line for more than 10-15 minutes (the expected time for a trucker to fill I guess).

And as for you folks who leave your rigs parked at the RV pumps while you go inside to shop—please keep using the RV lanes.
Remove a valve stem or two and leave it on their hood. Good manners are hard for some people to learn. [Mod Edit]

Old 08-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
Remove a valve stem or two and leave it on their hood. Good manners are hard for some people to learn. [Mod Edit]

[Mod Edit]In fact it sounds unlawful and would make you a criminal.
PS- If you get caught by the RV owner removing his valve stems, you may end up doing a lot of praying.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
[Mod Edit] In fact it sounds unlawful and would make you a criminal.
PS- If you get caught by the RV owner removing his valve stems, you may end up doing a lot of praying.
I would venture to say he was being sarcastic.... [Mod Edit]
Old 08-26-2019, 12:42 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
[Mod Edit] In fact it sounds unlawful and would make you a criminal.
Sarcasm, humor, lighten up! Or, quit blocking the pumps and you won’t have to worry about it!.........
Old 08-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #146
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Thread Warning!

Thread Warning!
Several post are getting off topic and in violation of the Community Rules.
Along with keeping the post on topic be sure to keep this rule in mind on any future post.
Quote:
General posting or discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions or posting about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.
Thanks
Steve as Site Staff
Old 08-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #147

Ok no more comments on the Gardner..

Card is on the way and I will try this to see how it works this weekend maybe.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #148

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
My wife and I just returned from a trip through Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. Across the entire trip, the subject travel centers ranged from 20 cents to over 50 cents a gallon higher than nearby competitors that were still right off the same road with easy in - easy out facilities for large motorhomes.

Made me wonder what these three offer that would entice people to pull in and fill up at such inflated prices.

Years ago, it was a few pennies difference in price and for us, we would pay that to have a separate RV parking spot away from the semis to spend the night, etc. But the gap is now pretty significant even if using something like a GS saving card. I know trucking companies don't pay these prices as they have separately negotiated contracts, but for RVer's, it's pretty much the price. Or is there some discount program out there I'm not aware of that reduces the price that much?
Unless we're off the interstate and happen to come by a nice looking station with in and out access, including our toad, we don't like getting off the highway on a bet that the place will be large enough. I mean it's not like I can't maneuver in most and have filled up at many a Walmart, which doesn't cater to large rigs, with the way they're set up.
We do use Pilot and Flying J a lot, for the reasons stated and get a 5 cent discount there, through Good Sam.
I questioned these inflated prices at the last stop and what they said was that the large trucking companies don't really pay that price, once everything is turned in and it's all said and done. So, basically, it's.....hell with the little guy....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #149

That's where the TSD EFS card gets your the Big Company Discount....
Cummins 600hp ISX15 Spartan K3 Chassis
Ron & Peri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #150

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Peri View Post
That's where the TSD EFS card gets your the Big Company Discount....
So, where can you get one of these free cards? They are for free, are they not?...
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:34 PM   #151

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
So, where can you get one of these free cards? They are for free, are they not?...
TSD Logistics EFS Fuel Card
Old 08-26-2019, 06:51 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
No fees, so yea, I guess they are free.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #153

I fill up at them for the convince and it is a recognizable name along the highway.
However, I do prefer to buy at non truck stations.
Mostly for 2 reasons.
1) the ground is filty, covered with spilled diesel fuel and I hate to step on it and then into the RV.
2) my fill hole is on the opposite side of the main pump and the secondary pumps almost always don't have a fuel/money display on it.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I find this thread quite amusing.

Here "we" have spent 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars to buy a camper and travel with it.

Then comment on a 100+ posts on how to save a few dollars on fueling this thing up.

I chuckle

I drove from Seattle to Tampa and then back. The trip was about 8,000 miles. Even if I got 10 mpg, I burned 800 gallons of diesel. At $0.50 difference that amounts to $400.
I don't know what's in your couch cushions but I certainly don't have that much in there.

Sadly, with the exception of a stop in Kansas City where diesel was $1.99, I got most of mine at truck stops and overpaid.

OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel