RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #15

Reply #9 has the answer to most of the questions on discounts. Look into it and start saving

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidrvr View Post
Reply #9 has the answer to most of the questions on discounts. Look into it and start saving
If I understand how this works they draft from your checking account to pay for fuel. I wouldn't do that. I would rather have the protections afforded by a credit card.

2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #17

I stopped at a truck stop for DEF and the fuel aisle was so nasty and dirty that I won't do that again. I just became a fan of Walmart DEF bottles.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #18

Why buy Diesel at Loves/TA/Pilot???

Probably not for you then. Think that question has been answered and debated within the thread .. shouldn’t be to concerning but hey 40+ cents a gal saving might not work for everyone.. did I mention it’s off the cash price?

Pretty sure your checking account is federally insured and if you followed the thread you would NEver have that much in it in the first place but.. to each there own.. but probably worth it to others
Old 08-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #19

" Apparently you haven't heard of TSD Logistics. You might want to check out their program that is open to RVers that use diesel. "

Thanks for the tip. I know there are potential downsides to checking account debits versus credit cards but the discount looks excellent to me so I've applied for a TSD card.
As for the original question I have a family that includes three OTR truckers and a dispatcher. Some outfits pay their drivers' fuel receipts regardless of where they buy, and places like Loves will offer 'free' or discounted showers and meals, so as a driver in this position why wouldn't I go there, especially when the meals and showers come out of my pocket and the fuel is covered by my company?
For us RVers, I think this thread is capturing both points of view quite well. To each their own.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #20

Why buy Diesel at Loves/TA/Pilot???

This topic has really long whiskers!
I have no need for Loves of P/FJ/TA.
I maneuver well. Most folks are straight-out shy of anything thing but straight-in!!
The stories of Mom&Pop shops is way too old and obsolete. I only fuel at newer, busy places.
I like the “it’s more convenient and faster” pitch.
I’ll just continue with what works for me, pocket the savings, and pay all of my maintenance fees.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3295.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	256589

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #21

I re-fuel at PFJ when possible on the road. I re-fuel at Murphy's in front of WM near home prior to every trip, it's tight but doable, unless some idiot in a car blocks my egress, which seems to be 50-50 odds. At smaller stations customers appear to make it known they do not want large vehicles crowding them. I oblige them when on the road.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
" Apparently you haven't heard of TSD Logistics. You might want to check out their program that is open to RVers that use diesel. "

Thanks for the tip. I know there are potential downsides to checking account debits versus credit cards but the discount looks excellent to me so I've applied for a TSD card.
As for the original question I have a family that includes three OTR truckers and a dispatcher. Some outfits pay their drivers' fuel receipts regardless of where they buy, and places like Loves will offer 'free' or discounted showers and meals, so as a driver in this position why wouldn't I go there, especially when the meals and showers come out of my pocket and the fuel is covered by my company?
For us RVers, I think this thread is capturing both points of view quite well. To each their own.
I set up a new savings account that cannot be overdrafted and they can draft the charge. I can transfer funds to it as needed to pay for the diesel that I purchased. Loves seems to offer the best discount followed by TA and Petro. With the discounts the diesel prices are lower than the smaller mom & pop stores.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
I set up a new savings account that cannot be overdrafted and they can draft the charge. I can transfer funds to it as needed to pay for the diesel that I purchased. Loves seems to offer the best discount followed by TA and Petro. With the discounts the diesel prices are lower than the smaller mom & pop stores.
What is the typical discount at Loves using the TSD card??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #24

From what I have read it seems 40 to 50 cents off cash price .
Old 08-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
What is the typical discount at Loves using the TSD card??
The following might be helpful. The savings shown are after TSD's 10% fee on the gross savings.

Loves
Avg: .4572
Max: .7079
Min: .0450

TA
Avg: .4860
Max: 1.0278
Min: .0000
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post

This program sounds interesting. Do they supply a list of stations that can be used along with the discounts?
gcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamper View Post
This program sounds interesting. Do they supply a list of stations that can be used along with the discounts?
Here are a couple of links that might be helpful

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

Fuel Discount Program.....to good to be true?
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Just returned from a trip across I-10 to the panhandle of Florida.

Loves off of I-10 in Madison, Florida $3.14 per gallon.

Racetrac here in NE Florida (Orange Park) $2.51 per gallon.

I need to fill-up tomorrow before our next adventure and will need approximately 80 gallons to fill the 150 gallon tank.

That is a $50 savings.

Racetrac stations have a diesel pump on every island, very easy in and out!
Another poster mentioned TSD Logistics and there card. I just looked up the Loves on today's pricelist they provide and the Loves (actually it's in Lee, FL, not Madison) is showing a retail price of 3.14, just like you said, but the discounted price with the TSD card is 2.44.

Even with their nominal charge (10% of the fuel savings), the net you would pay is 2.51 or the same as the Racetrac.

Just another option for those that don't know about it.

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel