RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamper View Post
This program sounds interesting. Do they supply a list of stations that can be used along with the discounts?
We just signed up for the program and I get fuel prices emailed to me every day for every Pilot/Flying J in the US.

dwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwertz View Post
We just signed up for the program and I get fuel prices emailed to me every day for every Pilot/Flying J in the US.
The also email prices for Loves and TA.

tnedator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwertz View Post
The PFJ discount is always .05 (.045 after TSD fee) which can be beat with PFJ/GoodSam discounts.

The ones you really want to watch are Loves and T/A as they have substantial savings.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #32

Thanks to everyone with all the varying points of view. And a special thanks for the discussion on the TSD program. I'm definitely looking into that one as the savings sound huge. I would set up a separate account at my bank for that use only so in case anything happened, it would be limited to the funds in that account. That's a great idea too.

On my recent trip I would peg the average difference from what I paid vs the big travel stops at 30 cents per gallon off the CREDIT price, which is generally 6 cents or so higher than that cash price at the big guys....so perhaps 24 or 25 cents off the cash price AND I could still use a credit card to pay it, which then pays me back even more. The over 50 cent difference was in Wisconsin where the big guys were over $3 credit price and Kwik Trip truck stops, which have everything the others do, were $2.57 credit. A Petro Pumper west of Madison was $3.23 a gallon and it was $2.79 a gallon literally next door at a Mobil where I could just pull right through easy peezy. But the Mobil didn't have all the bells and whistles. We stayed overnight in the lot at Petro in the RV spaces away from the truckers and ate breakfast in their Iron Skillet diner, then left and filled up next door at the Mobil station saving $37.
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #33

I've applied for a card, but to be fair, the best discounts seem to be at Love's and TA. Maybe I'm imagining it, but Love's seems to be very highly priced in the first place. The real savings compared to stopping elsewhere are going to be less. I'm heading out on Thursday for about a 4k trip and won't have my card in time, but will definitely give it a 'real world' trial on next year's trips. I'd like to see them add Petro as their stops are usually quite nice and they have good grub.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
I've applied for a card, but to be fair, the best discounts seem to be at Love's and TA. Maybe I'm imagining it, but Love's seems to be very highly priced in the first place. The real savings compared to stopping elsewhere are going to be less. I'm heading out on Thursday for about a 4k trip and won't have my card in time, but will definitely give it a 'real world' trial on next year's trips. I'd like to see them add Petro as their stops are usually quite nice and they have good grub.
Petro is part of TA and gets TSD discounts. The Petro mentioned in the post above yours in Madison today had a cash price of 2.99 and it's price with TSD card is 2.45.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #35

Location: Full-Timer, currently in Benson, AZ (for the winter)
Got bad diesel @ Mom/Pop store...

We run off the top-half of our tank and got a 1/2 tank of bad diesel at a mom/pop store which caused $13,000 repair to our truck in January 2015 (had to replace the entire fuel system). Since we had filled-up twice after the suspected bad diesel, we couldn't pin it on anyone (although I'm pretty sure which one it was).

We won't be making that mistake again -- especially now that we've upgraded to a motorhome, it's not worth the risk.
Jaj1260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
Thanks to everyone with all the varying points of view. And a special thanks for the discussion on the TSD program. I'm definitely looking into that one as the savings sound huge. I would set up a separate account at my bank for that use only so in case anything happened, it would be limited to the funds in that account. That's a great idea too.

On my recent trip I would peg the average difference from what I paid vs the big travel stops at 30 cents per gallon off the CREDIT price, which is generally 6 cents or so higher than that cash price at the big guys....so perhaps 24 or 25 cents off the cash price AND I could still use a credit card to pay it, which then pays me back even more. The over 50 cent difference was in Wisconsin where the big guys were over $3 credit price and Kwik Trip truck stops, which have everything the others do, were $2.57 credit. A Petro Pumper west of Madison was $3.23 a gallon and it was $2.79 a gallon literally next door at a Mobil where I could just pull right through easy peezy. But the Mobil didn't have all the bells and whistles. We stayed overnight in the lot at Petro in the RV spaces away from the truckers and ate breakfast in their Iron Skillet diner, then left and filled up next door at the Mobil station saving $37.

That says a lot; you will not buy their fuel, but will take advantage of Petro for free overnight parking anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I paid 2.49 a gallon yesterday at Buc-ee's on I-10 in Alabama. There are not that many but if you ever get a chance to stop at one the fuel is always cheap and good quality.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
I paid 2.49 a gallon yesterday at Buc-ee's on I-10 in Alabama. There are not that many but if you ever get a chance to stop at one the fuel is always cheap and good quality.
Just as a point of reference, as several of us have brought up TSD. The Loves just up the road from this Buc-ee's in Loxley has diesel at 2.37 with the TSD card, or including the TSD fee is 2.42 a gallon.

The cash price at this Loves is 2.94.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That says a lot; you will not buy their fuel, but will take advantage of Petro for free overnight parking anyway.
We bought things from their store when we pulled in around 11:30 PM because the restaurant was closed, and then ate breakfast in their restaurant early morning, so they got business from us. I personally never stay overnight anywhere without giving them some kind of business. But I'm not going to pay $37 bucks extra for fuel for a few hours of sleep in a parking lot...no. And I don't feel bad about it at all. And in this particular case, we drive past several times a year and almost always stop for a meal or other sundries, and when their fuel prices were reasonable for the market conditions, filled up there many, many times. It's always best to understand all the facts before making judgements on someone's character, isn't it?
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look for independent truck stops and large gas stations. Saves me $10-20 every fill up. Saved me many hundreds in last 6 years. Loves only gives useless points. Even with discounted pricing at the retail truck stops it's still more than independents.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Look for independent truck stops and large gas stations. Saves me $10-20 every fill up. Saved me many hundreds in last 6 years. Loves only gives useless points. Even with discounted pricing at the retail truck stops it's still more than independents.
Pretty much what I do

I really don't like all the cards and gimmicks

When you are talking 50 bucks savings or so it is worth some effort to make the savings
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #42

Guess $50 dollar savings would be very difficult with an small diesel truck pulling a 5th wheel or trailer.. my MH takes 170gal to fill.. now your talking $50 in savings.. so perspective would be in play..

Tags
diesel