RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 10:10 PM   #43
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I never stop at those places. Coming across I-40 in New Mexico and Texas, they were selling diesel at $2.89-$2.99 gallon. We bought at a CEFCO for $2.59. Since we bought 120 gallons it saved us quite a bit of cash.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I never stop at those places. Coming across I-40 in New Mexico and Texas, they were selling diesel at $2.89-$2.99 gallon. We bought at a CEFCO for $2.59. Since we bought 120 gallons it saved us quite a bit of cash.
I'm just replying to this post to show the possible benefit of going with the TSD program if one were to be so inclined.

Cefco doesn't appear to have any locations in NM, so I just used Amarillo, TX, where they do have locations on I-40 for comparison purposes.

Gas Buddy today (8/14/19) is showing diesel at Cefco, Bell St & I-40, Amarillo, at $2.49, which is an excellent price.

Loves, Exit 74, I-40, shows a retail price of $2.89, just as reported. However TSD's price at that Loves location even after paying their fee is $2.41, which is .08˘ less than Cefco's price.

The other benefit of the TSD Loves and/or TA programs is they are nationwide. I live in western NV and have grand children in CA, and while I'm certainly not going to be paying anywhere near $2.41, or even $2.89, the TSD program will save me .60˘ to .70˘ per gallon after fees off of Loves' retail price.

So how does that discounted price compare to Gas Buddy? As an example I usually fuel at Lodi, CA. The best diesel price on Gas Buddy in Lodi is $3.63. The TSD Loves discounted price after fees is $3.24.

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #45

I use my TSD card. Get up to 60 cents off at love’s and TA.
There is a thread about it here on the forum.
b17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by b17drvr View Post
I use my TSD card. Get up to 60 cents off at love’s and TA.

There is a thread about it here on the forum.
Can anyone tell me why it makes sense to have to go through a third party to get a discount price?
Old 08-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Can anyone tell me why it makes sense to have to go through a third party to get a discount price?
It's all about volume. A trucking company like TSD purchases thousands of gallons of fuel every month.

The more they purchase the better the discount they receive. TSD card holders like us are helping them increase their gallons purchased thereby achieving better discounts.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #48

Continued incorrect use of decimal point.....

.60˘ that is 6/10ths of a cent not 6/10ths of a dollar $.60 = 60 cents = 60˘
If you are using the cents symbol or spelling out cents get it right.

Thank you....
Cummins 600hp ISX15 Spartan K3 Chassis
Ron & Peri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I recently bought 150 gallons of diesel at 2 different Sam’s Club for $2.49 & $2.51...The big 4 were all $2.89-$2.95. Using a Sam’s credit card gets 5% more off so 300X.40= $120 plus another $37 (5%) from the credit card...$157.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #50

21% net savings!!!! YAY!!!!
Cummins 600hp ISX15 Spartan K3 Chassis
Ron & Peri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #51

How can i tell what truck stops are RV friendly? Ive gotten into some that are packed and I'm the only RV..have to go inside to pay and hold up the line. I thought all truck stops were for RVs too...am i wrong?
Samclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #52

Why buy Diesel at Loves/TA/Pilot???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Peri View Post
.60˘ that is 6/10ths of a cent not 6/10ths of a dollar $.60 = 60 cents = 60˘

If you are using the cents symbol or spelling out cents get it right.

Thank you....

Keeping everyone thinking cap on.. or common sense will kick in.. I’m sure most on here won’t need it Broken down to the nutz and bolts but I think the point was met and taken them thrown back to be understood..
Old 08-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #53

Which truck stops are rv friendly? So farr since 2011, all of the ones I've ever visited.
I always remember to pull ahead after fueling to make room for the next guy, and if the family is taking an overly long time shopping, I go park completely out of the way. The main thing is to be respectful of the truckers' time, it's their paycheck.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:44 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
Which truck stops are rv friendly? So farr since 2011, all of the ones I've ever visited.
I always remember to pull ahead after fueling to make room for the next guy, and if the family is taking an overly long time shopping, I go park completely out of the way. The main thing is to be respectful of the truckers' time, it's their paycheck.
I can tell ya one thing for sure....they don't think that way about you. They often fill up their trucks and go inside and sometimes take upwards of 30 mins before they come out and move their trucks. The whole time we are sitting right behind them waiting to fuel up. It has happened to us more than once.

But I agree with ya. We do the same thing. I never want to hold the line up. I know a trucker's time is money. I try to go at unconventional times when there are not many trucks around.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:21 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
I can tell ya one thing for sure....they don't think that way about you. They often fill up their trucks and go inside and sometimes take upwards of 30 mins before they come out and move their trucks. The whole time we are sitting right behind them waiting to fuel up. It has happened to us more than once.
I’ve experienced that innumerable times. Enough that I have quit caring about someone else’s time and paycheck.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #56

If convenience is worth $$ to you, then big truck stops are easiest. I make $40 an hour at my job. That's about .07 cents per minute. I can unload my toad in 5 minutes. Pull in to Sam's Club (with no trouble at all for me) for .60 cents lower per gallon than a truck stop. Fill up 130 gallons. Then I'll load my toad back on in 5 minutes and be on my way. That's $7 cost for 10 minutes of time vs $78 savings. I NEVER FILL AT TRUCK STOP UNLESS I HAVE TO

TurboZinke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel