Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZinke View Post
If convenience is worth $$ to you, then big truck stops are easiest. I make $40 an hour at my job. That's about .07 cents per minute. I can unload my toad in 5 minutes. Pull in to Sam's Club (with no trouble at all for me) for .60 cents lower per gallon than a truck stop. Fill up 130 gallons. Then I'll load my toad back on in 5 minutes and be on my way. That's $7 cost for 10 minutes of time vs $78 savings. I NEVER FILL AT TRUCK STOP UNLESS I HAVE TO
Just curious, why do you "unload your toad" to pull into Sam's Club fuel pumps?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 07:11 AM   #58

Diesel

Do you all understand that Diesel sits at terminals for months on end in the tank farm.Your fuel was made months ago. As to Mom And Pops.They usually watch their tanks closely they do not want to loose local trade or pay for repairs if you can prove it. Truck stops will say we have had no problems.I have delivered to many truck stops where fill caps are off wells are filled with water ETC.Not only that cross dropping adds to the risk.The only one who samples fuel is for Aviation.Before loading trailer is checked and a sample is taken before unloading.It is like Gasoline you never will know what you are getting.Cross dropped gasoline many times,so long as the gallons came out correct.Cross dropped at 1 NY station many times dealer would not move cars.Ask any tank driver see if he just grins. Enough said
retiredusps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
It cost me two tows and a cool $2500 to learn my lesson about buying diesel at little "mom and pop" stations. Loves, TA, Pilot etc. for me!
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:42 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
It cost me two tows and a cool $2500 to learn my lesson about buying diesel at little "mom and pop" stations. Loves, TA, Pilot etc. for me!

Sometimes luck is not on your side. I would not check off local fuel stations due to one bad experience. You can search the internet and find complaints of bad fuel from Loves, TA, and Pilot also.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Just curious, why do you "unload your toad" to pull into Sam's Club fuel pumps?
Lots of sams have directional lanes and there is not enough room to make the turn to get out, so I have to back up. I only do it if I have to. Google maps can tell you a lot about how much room there is.
TurboZinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #62

I see your coach is a lot longer than mine, so I guess those exit lanes could be a problem. Some of Costco's fueling stations are like Sams with a hard turn right after the pumps, but no worse than some of the smaller stations we usually use.
Thanks for the explanation! I learned something today.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #63

if you want Fresh Diesel fuel stop at the major truck stops, they sell thousands of gallons of fuel every day at each location. each of those trucks are getting at least 200 gallons some will get more
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #64

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
If I understand how this works they draft from your checking account to pay for fuel. I wouldn't do that. I would rather have the protections afforded by a credit card.
We've used this process for literally YEARS with no issue. I'm not saying it can't be an issue but what is the value to gas company "X" to steal $100 from your checking account ? Once an issue like that is known their business takes a nose dive.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Sometimes luck is not on your side. I would not check off local fuel stations due to one bad experience. You can search the internet and find complaints of bad fuel from Loves, TA, and Pilot also.
Truth be told the bad experience I had was my own fault. I should have known better than to fuel up at this particular mom and pop. I'm sure they're not all that way.
DandyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Over the years I've used a lot of diesel that was 8-10 years old without any problems by keeping the water condensate drained off the bottom of the storage tanks...no water, no algae. I've also bought a lot of diesel over many decades from whoever had the cheapest price, again without any problems.

The new bio diesel concerns me as I doubt you can use any that is 10 years old without having problems...new and improved???
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #67

We travel the US and use Gas Buddy to get the best deal on diesel fuel. After being a trucker for 40+ years, don't really like going into the truck stops any more than I have to. Just checking here in the Boise, ID.area, Flying J is $3.25 cash and Walmart is $2.69! I can get my 40' DP with toad in and out with no problems. This is typical of the big truck stops overcharging everyone except the elite few.
wystwybd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #68

Purchasing at Pilot or Loves

As someone who has been in the Diesel sales business in excess of 40 years what they are doing in having you as the ordinary consumer pay there overhead while they extend to the trucking companies discounts bases on cost plus pricing or OPIS average less pricing. What it means is you pay a very high price to go into these facilities. I have had a DP FOR 5 YEARS NOW AND I HAVE NEVER PURCHASED[ A GALLON AT A PILOT. You should be aware that the Pilot organization was indicted for cheating trucking companies and the president went to prison for it. Always try to purchase from a company other than Pilot/ Flying J, TA, Loves any major diesel supplier.
There is a company out of LA that is offering a discounted price for Diesel at there’s locations ad there will draft your checking account within 24 hrs of the fuel purchase, many rver’s are using them to get a better price at these locations.
Par4tks
par4tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #69

My truck is 24’ and 5er 43’. Truck stops for me when hitched. Only 9 cents off at P/FJ so I prefer loves or TA with TSD.
Both cards require you to set a pin or code number so even if the card is lost no one can use it. No problem for years.
Do not need to go inside and swipe a card plus DEF at the pump around $2.80 gallon.
I generally only stop there when hitched and down around 80 gallons.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #70

Talking Pilot flyingJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4tks View Post
As someone who has been in the Diesel sales business in excess of 40 years what they are doing in having you as the ordinary consumer pay there overhead while they extend to the trucking companies discounts bases on cost plus pricing or OPIS average less pricing. What it means is you pay a very high price to go into these facilities. I have had a DP FOR 5 YEARS NOW AND I HAVE NEVER PURCHASED[ A GALLON AT A PILOT. You should be aware that the Pilot organization was indicted for cheating trucking companies and the president went to prison for it. Always try to purchase from a company other than Pilot/ Flying J, TA, Loves any major diesel supplier.
There is a company out of LA that is offering a discounted price for Diesel at there’s locations ad there will draft your checking account within 24 hrs of the fuel purchase, many rver’s are using them to get a better price at these locations.
Par4tks

Yes they were caught with their thumbs on the scale er pump, but now that the punishment has been doled out, the ops are cleaner than a whistle and have been acquired by Speedway though being operated as a separate entity.

Like the TSD program, will look into it, thanks for the info. The stops with the special RV isles were/are good, in the old days they would provide a dump station too, now there is/was a charge at one I stopped at, do not recall the location or name.

Gas buddy has a TRAVEL PLANNING process where based on gas prices they recommend when and how to fill up, totally awesome. We tried and the savings were spiffy.

Anyone know if the TSD program also works for non diesel fuel?

It it works for regular unleaded plus diesel I am in bigly. Just hope the automobile companies and truck companies do not go backwards on CAFE rules and reduce the MPG by using inefficient mechanisms instead of focusing on improving the MPG and reducing the carbon footprints.

Tags
diesel