RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #71

I've seen prices vary a few pennies per gallon next door, but never seen a 50 cent difference.

StageCoachDr is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #72

We have a 25' Winnebago View and used to stop at the truck stops. Never for the past few years. Save money at the others and most are easy in and out for us. Also the truck stops have fast fill hoses that sometimes spill a little out as overflow.

SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #73

TSD Logistics Fuel Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Apparently you haven't heard of TSD Logistics. You might want to check out their program that is open to RVers that use diesel.

I just got my fuel card and will be using it on my next trip. As I understand best savings at Love's? What is your general average savings?
glend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
I have seen the same inflated price in Spokane/Coeur d Alene Idaho. It was nearly 75 cents more at Loveís vs one exit down a Marathon station. They had dedicated trucker/RV lanes. So happy I was planning an overnight stay at Walmart/Cabellaís so I saw the option. Last year that station didnít exist. Without it I was prepared to go back to the CDA Costco.

One bonus for switching from gas to diesel was the convenience of the trucker lanes. As a single RVír it is a huge benefit. Consequently, I value the consistency (in/out) the Flying J/Loves offers. Usually the difference in price is nominal and therefore worth it for me.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #75

stay away from big boys ( Loves/TA/Pilot) you get bio fuel good if run it up but not so good to have set in your tank
busa1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I've seen 15-20 cent differences in our travels, but never 50 cents. I stop at Pilot/Flying J's for the convenience and know that I am getting fresh clean fuel. The GS discount is nice and separate monthly billing works well. The cost of fuel is not that big of a deal to me when compared to the overall annual cost of ownership. Plus there is something to be said for the Cinnabun rolls at the ones I stop at.
You haven't been in Florida then. I'm 60 cents a gallon difference, 50 cents is the norm here. It has gotten ridicioulous! That it tells me is that the Truck centers don't want RV business anymore! They are making it harder to get propane, dump, etc. Many of the Race Trac and Wawa are making it much easier to get around their crowded stores to get Diesel. I just saw diesel for $2.52 at both of those places - Loves' - 2 miles down the road is $3.12. Pilot and Flying J not any better. I thought maybe it was a tax on truck diesel? Anyway, they are blowing it with RV'ers in my opinion. They just don't want our business! I recommend looking for stations who do provide easy entry for 45 foot rv's pulling toads.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If I see a truck stop with easy in and out that looks fairly busy I'll use that. I don't want a small station that may have fuel that's been sitting in the tank for months. If not, I'll pay a little extra for not getting stuck in a tight spot. The major truck stops like TA, Pilot, Loves, etc charge more then give sometimes substantial discounts to trucking firms.
I grew up in the country- believe me these small stations don't have fuel sitting for months. Farm vehicles and many farm trucks are diesels! They pump more diesel than their city brothers! Just a little education for those who don't know anything about farming. Bottomline, never be afraid of diesel in a rural markets!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #78

I pay cash at pilot, so thatís a 5 cent discount, and then use GS for another 3 cents off. Only had one lady question this.
Fire446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #79

Funny thing people still talk about gasoline prices, Most every day I will hear gas is $ X.00 followed by yeah that's down or up 10 cent from yesterday. But very true about Love's Pilot and sometime TA. .50 per gallon I have seen. I only use them in a pinch. Seems like trucker would not, that cuts right into their profii. So they must get a very good discount.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #80
KJR

There ar a lot of mom and pop truck stops. Just plan your fuel stops. Plenty of tools to find them. To use the Pilots, Loves etc get a TSD account if you have to fall back on them.

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Iíve experienced that innumerable times. Enough that I have quit caring about someone elseís time and paycheck.

Sometimes the truck driver has to go inside before he can fuel up. He may be at a truck stop that his company does not normally do business with so he goes in to get approval. Sometimes he goes in because his points card is not being accpted at the pump and he needs those points for a shower.. He may need a cash advance also.
Thanks to the govermnet he may have run out of time or is very close on time and has to, by law ,take a 30minute break and he can not BY LAW move his truck till his clock resets after that 30 minutes.
Sometimes he just can't hold it any longer.
Sometimes he is just tried and forgets.
OH and yes sometimes they are just rude A wholes who don't care about others pay checks and well being. Like some RV drivers.
There are a lot of reasons for things a truck diver might be doing that cause his delays and yours.
They hate being held up as much as the next person and they hate holding up others. A lot of them hate seeing an RV in line. That one rude RV driver can make for a bad example of all RV drivers. Same goes for that one truck driver making a bad example of all of them.

So to all at the pump I say chill out. You'll get through it with out a stoke if you do.

MY 2 cents worth.

Jim
Retired Army/ Retired Driver/ RV camper till I can't.
jturner9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:39 PM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
>>The cost of fuel is not that big of a deal to me when compared to the overall annual cost of ownership.<<

EVERY cost is important to me. Itís part of being a rational consumer.

Ed
Ď05 HR Ambassador
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDr View Post
I've seen prices vary a few pennies per gallon next door, but never seen a 50 cent difference.
50Ę, maybe not. A very significant difference? Definitely.

Ed
Ď05 HR Ambassador
neoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:48 PM   #84

TSD Card

Just got the TSD card. Used it all last week. WOW! I pulled into Loves in VA this morning. Credit price was $3.03. Swiped my TSD card filled up then got in the RV checked the card and I paid $2.31. Happened like that at every Loves from Md to MO to NC and back to MD.

Tags
diesel