Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #99

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Clapp View Post
For the TSD discount program they say you have to use the truck lanes. I thought this was frowned upon by truckers.
Those big fuel stop's were just not built for trucker's, they are built for anyone needing fuel that has a big unit of any kind that wants to use the bigger fueling location.........
I have never had a problem, most trucker's want to chat and talk to ya ..........
And if one so desires, you can park and spend the night in the parking lot.......just don't setup camp!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #100

I have a 44' DP with toad so I am 63' total.

We are full time so there is no way I am taking a chance on an unknown non truck stop. Ingress and egress are too important to me over cost.

RVs with a toad cannot back up so that is a major factor.
I respect those with similar lengths with a toad that can manage to use the car lanes.

I do love the PFJ charge card not only for the discount but I don't have to go in and there is no pump limit. Most places have a pump limit which is not sufficient. I hit the cap then need to use a different card because if use the same card it reads it as fraud which then creates a whole other set of hassles.

As a side note I was at a Pilot contract station where the front pumps/store were Thornton. The Pilot diesel was .50 more than the car diesel.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #101
JVH

Send a message via ICQ to JVH Send a message via AIM to JVH Send a message via Yahoo to JVH Send a message via Skype™ to JVH
I am not a full timer. During a trip this spring from KC to Lake Havasu City I noticed that the pilot, flying J, TA, Loves, etc. on the big poles were $3.05 cash and $3.15 credit for diesel.

I have a free app called Gas Buddy that I set for diesel. It will also allow you to select other amenities like truck stop, propane, ATM, restaurant, store, etc.
I was fueling for around $2.65 during the trip.
I think I got $2.57 and a Sam's club.
Sam's stopped my card at $100 but I just restarted to finish.

I have a flying j card but they always seem to have an excuse for not giving me the deduction and 5 cents a gallon does not trump 50 cents a gallon.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Did you know you can buy a $500 Walmart gift card, get the 2% Visa rebate used to buy the card, then use the card at a Walmart or Sams Club diesel pump and get an addition $.03 per gallon off the price on the pump?
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #103

The last time I made the mistake of stopping at a Love's in Arizona, it turned out to be biodiesel which makes my CAT run like a dog, losing 2 miles per gallon on top of the inflated prices. Look carefully at the pump there will be a small label somewhere stating that it's biodiesel.
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #104

Some of the comments herein reinforce my feeling that for some people price just doesn't matter, I often see folks filling up at a station when right next door, or across the corner, gas can be 10-20 cents cheaper. I guess growing up during the depression made me more cost conscious.
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #105

I had a couple close calls with my 31' Thor ACE pulling a Jeep where I almost couldn't get out of a gas station. Not about to try that with a 44' pulling a Jeep to save a few bucks.

Now with the TSD card, it's no longer a case of paying more, since at Loves, TA and Petro the prices are similar to the little stations.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #106

FWIW for RVs fueling up in AZ, DP's are exempt from 8 cents of the tax that is part of the price at the trucker pumps. I'm not sure if all Truck Stops will discount it, but I just go in and tell them I am a motorhome and leave my CC with them. I've only done it at the lesser known brands that are already lower priced than Pilot/FJ, Loves and TA.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #107

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, Cinnabon!
Lez8ma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #108

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am 75’ long with trailer, I use flying j all I can. $.08 off a gallon and I’m going to make sure I can get in and out from a fuel stop, more important than saving ten or twenty cents
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:36 PM   #109

I bet half of you don't even know the quality of fuel you are buying at some of these big so called travel plazas , like 20% bio and such instead of 10% or none, start reading the stickers on the pumps. I am talking diesel fuel of course. The Kroger stores in Oregon sell cheaper than truck stops and it all comes out of the same tanks at the supplier and then at little mom z mb d pops out side city limits don't have the city taxes added to the price.
Mr. Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #110

I find this thread quite amusing.

Here "we" have spent 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars to buy a camper and travel with it.

Then comment on a 100+ posts on how to save a few dollars on fueling this thing up.

I chuckle
Old 08-20-2019, 07:13 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post

Here "we" have spent 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars to buy a camper and travel with it.

Then comment on a 100+ posts on how to save a few dollars on fueling this thing up.

I chuckle
It’s a little game we play!😁 Personally, Im more interested in the fuel quality! One little bad experience there and all that penny saving won’t be near the priority.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:16 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post

I chuckle
It's just the nature of many. If the purchase is something we "WANT", it doesn't matter what the cost is. We will find a way to justify it and barely give it a second thought. Now, if the purchase is something we "NEED", we have to figure out how to save a few bucks. It just makes us feel better as we drive down the highway in our "Justified" RV.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel