Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I find this thread quite amusing.

Here "we" have spent 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars to buy a camper and travel with it.

Then comment on a 100+ posts on how to save a few dollars on fueling this thing up.

I chuckle

My brother worked at a tire shop and I watched one day while a very wealth client successfully negotiated a lower price for a set of tires. I later asked my brother about why this buyer even cared about saving $20. My brother replied that even the wealth buyers want to feel that they are getting a good deal and that is probably how they became wealthy to begin with, by making good deals. It's just human nature to want to get the most for your effort!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #114

Quote:

Here "we" have spent 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars to buy a camper and travel with it.

Then comment on a 100+ posts on how to save a few dollars on fueling this thing up.

I chuckle
DK for me, when I see as much as 80 cents a gallon difference- 25% more - it is both economic AND being mad about being taken advantage of! Sir, if you have read the comments - you will see on poster saying he saved 85 Cents a gallon at a stop because he had a discount card - then inferred that most of the trucking companies have deals like this in place. So, it is ethics - of course the fuel industry is probably the most corrupt and non government regulated industry in the country! If you don't believe it - just do this one thing - check the price of fuel on Thursday and then Friday. 90% of the time it will be much higher on a Friday. Check again on Tuesday and it will be back down. Gouging has been the practice for at least 60 years I am aware of. My father pointed that out to me 60 years ago. I watched and he was right! That fuel in tanks and in storage didn't suddenly cost more in a few hours! So chuckle all you want- you may enjoy over paying - many of us don't. Do you pay full price for your $100's of thousands of dollars for your motorhome? I bet you got your 25% plus discount - or you have more money than you have sense!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #115

Maybe, just maybe, you CAN buy a hundred plus thousand dollar rig because you have spent a lifetime finding ways to save a buck. Something about if you watch your pennies, the dollars take care of themselves.
I get a kick when, at 84, I'm a "junior member."
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #116

Quote:

I chuckle
Mine is a little bigger and a little more expensive than a trailer.. Fuel savings add up.. personally I have never fueled at the truck stops..After I receive the card I will. Penny saved is a penny earned..

I cant forget about saving money until I retire..
Old 08-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #117

Fresh Fuel?

I don't understand what you are talking about!
I have had diesel in a barrel for my tractor for 5 years and it is still good. Runs fine..
Gasoline has a shelf life but come on, you aren't in the outback in Alaska. Fuel is fuel other than Bio Diesel which I can't run.

I am in my 70's, have driven so many miles I couldn't count them and once many decades ago I got some water in my tank that caused me real problems.. That was really a life time ago. Never had an issue since.
VagabondDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
DK for me, when I see as much as 80 cents a gallon difference- 25% more - it is both economic AND being mad about being taken advantage of! Sir, if you have read the comments - you will see on poster saying he saved 85 Cents a gallon at a stop because he had a discount card - then inferred that most of the trucking companies have deals like this in place. So, it is ethics - of course the fuel industry is probably the most corrupt and non government regulated industry in the country! If you don't believe it - just do this one thing - check the price of fuel on Thursday and then Friday. 90% of the time it will be much higher on a Friday. Check again on Tuesday and it will be back down. Gouging has been the practice for at least 60 years I am aware of. My father pointed that out to me 60 years ago. I watched and he was right! That fuel in tanks and in storage didn't suddenly cost more in a few hours! So chuckle all you want- you may enjoy over paying - many of us don't. Do you pay full price for your $100's of thousands of dollars for your motorhome? I bet you got your 25% plus discount - or you have more money than you have sense!

Sorry Kid that my humor is lost on you, my apologies.

If you really are wanting to save money wouldn't you just drive the Honda to a Super 8?

Campers of any flavor are a money pit.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #119

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our local Flying crooks are $.65/ gallon diesel higher the across the road.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
outside of Yosemite 4.49 a gallon
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #121

Quote:

No truer statement ever spoken!
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:23 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I guess what soured me on big truck stops was the time I was fueling and I walked around the coach to the other side. There was a trucker using my satellite pump filling up his truck.
😂...... You got to remember, some of those drivers these days ain’t too bright!
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:11 AM   #123

$6 a gallon here in England. But, we don’t have very far to drive in comparison! Costco seem to be the cheapest here but it’s a shame they are a bit few and far between.
Skirmishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:14 AM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
Maybe, just maybe, you CAN buy a hundred plus thousand dollar rig because you have spent a lifetime finding ways to save a buck. Something about if you watch your pennies, the dollars take care of themselves."
And you can pay cash for it if you want to.

In the next post Ben Franklin was quoted “a penny saved is a penny earned” and while that was true in his day, it is NOT today. I have to earn $1.40 to have $1 to spend so that $0.50 savings is actually a $0.70/gallon savings.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #125

Quote:
Sorry Kid that my humor is lost on you, my apologies.

If you really are wanting to save money wouldn't you just drive the Honda to a Super 8?

No worries DK. All of us who RV's are buying a depreciating debit - not asset for sure! But, I want to be treated fairly - I know it is business decision for these companies - but I want them to know it will come back to bite them in the ass as well. The RV industry is now quite large and our age group has worked all of our lives to get where we are - I for one want to choose where I spend my money - I don't want to be gouged.

But I understand your point. I always say to people if you have to worry about or ask the price of fuel - you sure don't need to own an RV as that is the least expensive thing about them.

Safe travels and keep the shiney side up!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #126

Looking at Gas Buddy, the closest Loves to me is 2.94 a gallon, the other stations in the area range from 2.75 to 2.89, but with maybe only one or two exceptions, none of them will accommodate a DP pulling a jeep (certainly not easily).

That said, the TSD price for that Loves is 2.37, or about 40 cents cheaper than all the smaller stations in the area.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel