RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Are you referring to the 8.8 L engine from PSI, or is there someone else out there with a different successor to the GM 8.1L ?

PSI is one source and there is someone else that got into it as well. But I think they are taking the PSI engine and modding it a bit. I just looked at the article. There design specifically for RV gas Engine replacement and there claiming 500hp @ 4700RPM and 585 fl/lb of torque at 3000 RPM. My guess is either a tuning change or possibly tuning and camshaft changed. But still quite an upgrade.

There is a school bus fleet in Oklahoma using this engine in all there buses. Can't be too bad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #170

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
PSI is one source and there is someone else that got into it as well. But I think they are taking the PSI engine and modding it a bit. I just looked at the article. There design specifically for RV gas Engine replacement and there claiming 500hp @ 4700RPM and 585 fl/lb of torque at 3000 RPM. My guess is either a tuning change or possibly tuning and camshaft changed. But still quite an upgrade.

There is a school bus fleet in Oklahoma using this engine in all there buses. Can't be too bad.
Can you provide a link to the article? Inquiring minds want to know.

edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
WOW, you have no idea. I would like to see any gas engine in a 40,000# coach pulling a 10,000# trailer over Loveland Pass. There are places where the gas coach will shine, but anything over 26,000# will perform much better being pushed by a diesel. With the diesel comes the comfort of an air ride suspension and a bullet proof Allison to say nothing of the increased capacity. The list of advantages goes on and on with any coach over 36' long.
Not to mention that a gasser gets about 4mpg and a diesel gets 7-9 depending on coach and driving habits. Add to that the pulling ability of a diesel, for a large coach there's no contest between gas and diesel IMHO.
Midwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:56 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestman View Post
Not to mention that a gasser gets about 4mpg and a diesel gets 7-9 depending on coach and driving habits. Add to that the pulling ability of a diesel, for a large coach there's no contest between gas and diesel IMHO.

My 38ft rear engine gasser gets 7mpg. My previous 35ft from engine got 8mpg.
Unicorn Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #173

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayza View Post
For me the biggest advantage of a diesel would be the storage space created by not having the driveshaft the length of the vehicle. Not to mention the cockpit space in a gasser seems to take up so much room.

Why can't a gas engine be in the rear of the vehicle like a diesel? Is there some limitation? Why can't RV's be front wheel drive like a lot of cars if the engine has to be in the front?
They've been around.
The old GMC coach was front wheel drive, with an Olds Toranado engine.
Workhorse with the UFO rear gasoline engine drive, that some people have sought after and might still be around if not for the recession and moving the company's ownership around.
The demise of GM's 8.1 big block didn't help matters any.
Ford has the market the way it is, so why invest a fortune for nothing.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #174

GM/Workhorse will re-enter the Class A MH market with a choice of 6L or 8.8L gas engine: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2015/05/wo...hassis-market/ :
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:53 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
GM/Workhorse will re-enter the Class A MH market with a choice of 6L or 8.8L gas engine: Workhorse to Re-enter Class A Chassis Market | RV Business :
That article is over 3 years old. If they were going to do it I think it would have happened by now.

I thought someone posted another article not long ago saying they had changed their minds.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #176

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
That article is over 3 years old. If they were going to do it I think it would have happened by now.

I thought someone posted another article not long ago saying they had changed their minds.
The current owner of the Workhorse brand and the assembly facilities issued that PR long ago, AND has since retracted it as "premature". In fact, they have zero interest in anything related to RVs. They have recently announced a new line of "commercial only" pick up trucks and continue to develop their drone products, in addition to the electric delivery truck business.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
The current owner of the Workhorse brand and the assembly facilities issued that PR long ago, AND has since retracted it as "premature". In fact, they have zero interest in anything related to RVs. They have recently announced a new line of "commercial only" pick up trucks and continue to develop their drone products, in addition to the electric delivery truck business.
Well, that's disappointing, thanks for correcting my post.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:27 AM   #178

U need a GMC Eleganza ;-) 455 FWD
edfirebird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfirebird68 View Post
U need a GMC Eleganza ;-) 455 FWD
I had one. 177,000 miles, total restoration. Sold it. On my second DP now, would never go back.

botiemad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, gas