Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #29

Does anyone even bother to read the OP's question or do you just read the words "gas" and "diesel" and launch into your rhetoric??????

Come one guys - go have your diesel V gas pissing match on the other thread.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
In the early 70s, FMC made a rear engine gas motor home, the FMC 2900R. It had a Dodge, industrial 440. It was, for the time, a very expensive and prestigious motor home. Quite a few celebs owned them. Here is a link that shows what they were and some other interesting information.

https://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/ba...-in-the-1970s/
My parents owned one, I owned one in 1981, and my brother actually bought one that James Brolin had owned. Only 29’ long but drove like a dream..
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A company named PSI took the 8.1 platform and made it an 8.8. They are using it in buses I believe. There was hope that the "new" Workhorse owners would use the motor and reintroduce the UFO Chassis.

It was speculated that Ford wants the entire gas chassis market and are willing to do all they can to keep the competition out of the market.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a 1983 Revcon FWD. I love it handles great 10 to 12 mph
Revcon was made from 1965 or so until 1990 they were expensive list price for mine was $ 143k
Snufy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:09 AM   #33

Look what the pickup truck makers are doing in the 1/2 ton market. Under 3 liter engine, twin turbos, and tow ratings never imagined in a 1/2 ton 10 years ago. And getting 15 plus MPG towing. Wait until that technology get applied to the motorhome/ school bus market, and it may give diesels a run for their money.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
And some of us just don't want diesel vehicles. The only thing missing (for me) on my UFO gasser is air ride.
That's just a matter of $$$$. I have looked into the same. The only benefit I see in a diesel pusher is an air system to operate heavier braking systems and operate a very smooth riding suspension. I come from the trucking world. I don't need to run with air brakes. I get plenty of that already. However, a smooth riding suspension I will not compromise. To me, that's one of the allure of a big motorhome. In fact, I will argue one of the smoothest riding coaches around doesn't even have air ride, a Silver Eagle bus. BTW, I love old buses and bus conversions. But before I get too off track....it is totally do-able to rip out the factory mechanical spring suspension and install a full air ride suspension. Complete with air compressor and all. It is a big install, probably best done by a professional unless you are personally good at that stuff. Sadly, I don't have the patience....lol....or rather sizable tooling.
Charles27909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
All that could be done with a turbo'd gas engine. Horsepower is horsepower. The rest is gearing. The only reason there is the constant mantra of gas vs diesel is that there are no large block properly equipped gasoline engines thanks to the EPA and various marketing forces. Few RV's are run enough miles to make diesel longevity a big deal. OTOH most heavy trucks are so they do benefit. That translates to the only heavy chassis available any more are diesel. That, in turn, makes the whole argument pointless.
Torque is what gets you to the top. We had a saying regarding big block CATs..."The world is flat with a 600 CAT!!" That being said, gearing is important. You can draw alot of power from a gas engine (turbo-ed or not) with the right rear end get and wheel/tire setup. However, there always seems to many limitations on available transmission options as many, like myself, don't like other idea of spinning 3,000 rpms + cruising down the road at interstate speed. A 2 speed axle is great and a nice compromise but probably too complex for some, NOT ALL, to operate properly....and adds costs.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayza View Post
Didn't mean to start a debate! For me diesel vs gas doesn't matter, as said it is only a matter of HP. Would like to see gas engines in the back driving the rear wheels. The big thing I am missing from my gasser is that beautiful storage area underneath the coach. For the different in price between gas and diesel I can do all of the suspension upgrades I want - even if I put LiquidSprings on I still wouldn't come close to the price of a DP.
You can also install a full air ride. All mechanical springs stuff is taken off and a full air bag air ride put on.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:18 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
One thing that has always made me ponder, why is Ford using these V10's and not their Powerstroke engines? I get that the V10 has been around forever, but the diesel in my F250 puts out over 450HP & over 900TQ(I don't know exact #'s off top of my head). Now this is more HP than my current rig @350HP, but the TQ is less than my current @1100TQ, but still seems using the Powerstroke would open up a lot of options, both in the terms of Front & Rear mounting.
Complex emissions bullcrap is the most likely reason. And cost. It keeps new chassis below $30K.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaldow View Post
Big block gas, could be be an option, turbo charged, etc. . .

All the excuses, EPA, cooling, are just R&D baloney - just saying for now, kinda like an old smoking diesel, G.E. fixed that in the locomotive division - now didn't they ?
Compared to a steam engine....YES.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The EPA is not baloney. The rest may be. No idea what GE is doing with their diesels.

Do a bit of looking at what some folks who make the rules want and your big diesel's days may also be numbered. They can't meet the emissions/mile standards that are proposed by those folks.
The EPA is a drain on society.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:22 AM   #40

Too bad no RV builder offers a glider kit motorhome....lol.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:26 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
Look what the pickup truck makers are doing in the 1/2 ton market. Under 3 liter engine, twin turbos, and tow ratings never imagined in a 1/2 ton 10 years ago. And getting 15 plus MPG towing. Wait until that technology get applied to the motorhome/ school bus market, and it may give diesels a run for their money.
I would be interested to see the same also. In addition, to mid sized small block gas like 5.4, 5.3, etc gas engines with one or two turbos.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:11 AM   #42

Best motorhome I ever owned was a GMC, fast, economical, smooth ride, and excellent view of the road. Price killed the coach along with the gas shortage, I believe they built them 1973 - 1977, they were front wheel drive with a 455 or 402 Tornado engine and drive train

Sent from my SM-T550 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Tradition is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, gas