Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #127

Maybe when you are guiding a 16 ton 8' wide beast down the road, not taking your hands off the wheel and eyes off the road, to wave at others, is not a bad idea.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #128

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Just a quick question. Are you guys RVing or do you work for Greyhound?
Trailways

Old 06-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #129
TGR

I drove my RV 250 miles on Monday and tried to make a point to waive to other RVers. I found there were some times I was comfortable and waived, and other times when all my attention was needed to focus on driving due to traffic.
I prefer to believe others are in the same position. If the are in a controlled situation they will waive. If not, they won't waive and I will understand. I have found very few RVers at campgrounds who weren't friendly. Those same people got to the campground somehow.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #130

For our group when off roading we wave with a number on our hand to let the other group know how many people we have behind us. That way they know how long to wait to proceed, also if we've lost somebody they can catch up to us and let us know.

If you're waving just to be curteous, who cares if they wave back or not. Just smile & wave and focus on the road. I always just assume that people do wave back if I wave but I'm certainly not going to stare them down to make sure if they did or not!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
If the are in a controlled situation they will waive. If not, they won't waive and I will understand.
I will understand too. In fact I will be so understanding that I will be quite busy myself ensuring that they have plenty of room to maneuver until they get back into a "controlled situation".
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #132

Waving at a vehicle and expecting the driver to wave back at you is childish and dangerous.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #133
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Waving at a vehicle and expecting the driver to wave back at you is childish and dangerous.

Jim
And not waiving is........

The way I look at it is if I wave and the guy looks at me and waves back, he knows I'm there and I know he see's me.

If he doesn't waive, he may well be asleep!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #134

Lets see, it that you "Waive" the right to "Wave" or just "Waive" the right to trying to be courteous and friendly to those who share your same enjoyment of RV'ing?
Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #135

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post

Jim
Did someone say they expected the driver to wave back? If you're not comfortable waving, then don't. It's really not that big a deal.

Sometimes I wave, sometimes Donna waves and sometimes you hit the jackpot and we both wave.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am really amazed that this thread has gone on for ten pages after the thread originator indicated that they were offended if every motor home driver / owner did not wave back to them. Personally I am very offended that I have to spend so much time working to maintain a positive return on my retirement nest egg.

Dave
Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #137

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never realized I could now be considered snooty. Actually I may not be able to feel that way. Our beast is 19 years old so we may be one of those that don't get waves just due to our age ???

I've been a biker for close to 40 years and I will wave when some one else initiates it. Way, way back when there were far fewer bikes on the road it sort of made sense that since only a few of us had this hobby in common then maybe we need to have a special bond. Now when I ride there are far to many to wave to so I will return the wave but seldom initiate it. Same applies to the MH group. I'll be happy to return your wave, if I see it. I am one of the white knuckle drivers plus I have a back seat/side seat driver !!!

I don't consider myself anti-social but with so many bikes, jeeps, vettes, MH's and what have you I don't see this very special bond. I hope that doesn't sound snooty ..... we don't have enough money to be snooty.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #138

I own corvettes so I am used to waving at other vettes. Just part of the hobby. Rather new to the motorhome life style but I wave when traffic and road conditions allow. Will always wave back if someone waves to me.

Dale
Old 06-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #139

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, I'm going to wave. Most don't wave back though. The RV crowd doesn't seem as " club like" as the Corvette or Wrangler, CJ group does. I can't drive to the store in my Jeep without at least a couple of waves! DW rolls her eyes at me. She just doesn't understand! Back in the 70's I had a 72 BMW 2002 and back then they were few and far between. We always waved when we passed another, and they always waved back. I still drive Beemers, but they are so plentiful now, what's the point!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post

The way I look at it is if I wave and the guy looks at me and waves back, he knows I'm there and I know he see's me.
So if an driver RV doesn't wave, you think he doesn't see you. Wow! If the driver can't see a big ol RV, we've got bigger issues than not waving!