Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #99

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Les.
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #100

iRV2 No Limits Club
I try and not get friendly and wave. People get freaked out because my hand is always wrapped around my pistol. Plus, it makes it harder when the zombie apocalypse happens and you pause because you just waved and became friends with that zombie a little bit ago.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pause?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #102

Having been a corvette owner, IM a natural waver. Corvette owners always wave at one another. When on a two lane road, I wave, I do not wave on Interstates unless in a work zone where we narrow to two lanes then I wave, as long as the road is safe and no flag person is near.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #103

A flash of the brights on the headlights when I see an oncoming, or a flick of the headlights to light the rear end when passing are just courtesy. I wish I could figure out a way to wire up all of the lighting system to flash front and back with a single switch on my console....
jvanfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #104

I gotta say, I've been a truck driver for 12 years and have just over 1.5 million miles under my belt, I just like to mind my own business when I'm on the road. I'm not lookin for waves and I don't usually give waves, sometimes I feel like I'm runnin for mayor with all the waving people want ya to do. I also do not flash brights at anybody, unless to warn oncoming traffic of an emergency ahead (accident or dangerous obstruction in the roadway). Over use of headlight flashing makes people complacent, therefore making it difficult to properly warn other drivers of emergencies they are about to encounter. Flashing bright lights at night to signal a driver that has just passed you I find to be rude, most often as I'm checking my mirrors after passing another vehicle, they seem to find it necessary to flash their brights right about the time I'm looking at them in the mirror, it's not necessary. I realize some drivers are not professionals but when they're flashing they're lights at me wanting me to come over I find the distance between our vehicles is way too close to provide an adequate following distance thus making all the headlight flashing ridiculous. Just my thoughts spilling out... I could go on and on about encounters with morons on the highway...
Eheld786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #105

I wave.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #106

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a few reasons.. One being that till you get several thousand miles behind the wheel you are very likely holding it a bit too tightly to wave.

Another being tinted windows make it so you can't see the other driver

I wave... Sometimes.. If I actually SEE the other person.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eheld786 View Post
I also do not flash brights at anybody, unless to warn oncoming traffic of an emergency ahead (accident or dangerous obstruction in the roadway). Over use of headlight flashing makes people complacent, therefore making it difficult to properly warn other drivers of emergencies they are about to encounter. Flashing bright lights at night to signal a driver that has just passed you I find to be rude, most often as I'm checking my mirrors after passing another vehicle, they seem to find it necessary to flash their brights right about the time I'm looking at them in the mirror, it's not necessary. .
I don't flash lights for the same reason. Back in the day (oy! I'm THAT old!), we only flashed lights to denote adverse road conditions or to let someone approaching us know they had their brights on and needed to dim them.

We did do a quick flash to trucks and rvs to let them know when they could safely pull back into our lane (on and off, not high beam/low beam). I was taught to do this by a professional trucker. It never ever was meant to be rude. It was common back in the days of mainly two lane highways and I've had truckers do it for me even when I was in a car. But, to anyone I have annoyed by flashing an "all's clear" to change lanes, I apologize. I really had no idea it could be annoying. Honest!
route66fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #108

Drove the Monfort Lane from CO to NYC on I-80 for years.... then drove Fire Trucks for 30 years when at home. we always gave a flash if you wanted to do that many RPM....
Probably 3 million miles under my belt and grateful for all the help I could get.
Happy Trails to You,
Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #109

I drove the Monfort Lane from CO to NYC for years. While we didn't always like the flash to know we were clear, we always paid attention. I drove Fire Trucks at home for 30 years and ALWAYS paid attention to what other drivers were trying to tell me. To do otherwise would make me an A***ole. Don't become another jerk because you have more HP than anyone else...
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #110

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thought as well.. Other than flat bed tow trucks and semi's with "oversize load" permits and chase cars the widest vehicle on the freeway should be a motor home.

The legal limit for MOST vehicles is 8' wide, Motor homes (And flat bed tow trucks) 8'6"

Plus the MH tends to be top heavy and likes to wander a bit.

This means it takes a lot of concentration when one of these wide-bodies passes another to keep from having a meeting of the side walls.

And that is why I may not wave or notice if you do.. I'm concentrating on my lane.

Now at low speed (Campground) I wave. but at 55-60.. now so easily distracted.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #111

Do you remember the school bus stop signs on the side of the school bus just put one on the side of the motorhome only with the hand waving hi instead of stop .I thought that was a good idea David &Linda
david2499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #112

Lets deal with a dose of reality here. Why on earth would I ever take the time to 'wave' at someone I will only see in a three second window...someone I have never seen before and will most likely never see again. If you need nurturing call your mother. We have to be in Sausalito by noon tomorrow. Jeez.
buki is offline   Reply With Quote