Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 12:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
How is it you can call a coach manufacturer and get all the information you could possible want. Some you don't even want. But then you ask "can I see a picture with the slides in" and you hear a bunch of coffing and hacking and midnight snacking. Some are so sophisticated the have a paper bag handy that they crumple up as they say "sorry we're breaking up, we can't hear you" and the phone goes dead!

Then you call the dealer and ask "can I see a picture with the slides in" and they act like they never heard the question before! Than you say something outlandish like "could you take a picture and email it to me"? That's when you realize the dealer has the same paper bag the coach builder uses!

It's a conspiracy of epic proportion! Do they know when you drive a Class A that you put the slides in? Do they know when you're driving down the highways and byways that someone my want to use the bathroom, the refrigerator or wave of micro?

That's what cruse control is for, for pete sakes. So the driver can get up and use the facilities! I mean seriously, you ask these people for a shot with the slides in and they act like you're a crazy person.

Am I the only one who has been made to suffer from the dreaded "SIS" disease? "Slides In Syndrome"!

What does one do about it? Is there a cure?
The coach has wheels and you have legs - just get out and look at them.

I have never had an issue with seeing a coach with the slides in, Just ask for a test RIDE, and bring your Camera.

Simple, JMHO,

. .

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Admittedly my post was intended to be tung in cheek. And some of you have the benefit that I do not have, a reasonably close dealer. My closest dealer is 2 hours away and currently has no 2017's on their lot. Nor do they have my floor plan of interest on order. The nearest one who does is 8 hours away. That may change as the 2017's are in greater distribution but that's how it is now!

Any information I can get without travel is a good thing and getting a picture with slides in does not strike me as an unrealistic request. Especially when all they have to do is jump on a golf cart, take a picture and upload it. 15 to 20 minutes max towards a purchase of $200,000.00 + coach does not seem unreasonable. They can do it the day we talk or the next couple days would be just fine, just do it. Why should a customer be made to drive 5 hours to see something as simple as a floor plan with the slides in?

Some dealer salesman have said "I'll be happy to do that" and not done it even after I contacted them again. I've talked to regional reps who have said "sure I'll do this and that for you" and did nothing! Even after reminder text's and emails. I've even had a coach builder at headquarters level tell me "you have to go through the regional manager" for that!

I asked one coach builder for a MSRP Sales Sheet showing the MSRP of the coach and the options. I was told to go through the dealer for that. THE DEALER!!! We've seen and/or heard of dealers developing their own MSRP stickers. And the coach builder will not provide an MSRP sheet? Are you kidding me! I didn't ask for the wholesale price, I asked for the retail. Sending me someplace else for their MSRP sheet is outrageous!

Then you say "hey, if I had that kind of trouble I'd forget about that coach"! That's easy to say if you're able to find the coach you want, with the floor plan you want, in the type and style you want, at a place you can get to within 6 days of travel. OK, slight exaggeration, but you get my point.

Come on, we're not buying a $500.00 used car here. Just a little professionalism, is that really too much to ask?

Yes you're right, not too "tung in cheek" this time!
I'm afraid there is precious little "professionalism " in the RV business both on the dealer's end AND the manufacturers. Just look at what the landscape is now as opposed to five years ago .
I'm retired from the auto business and I can tell you that neither dealers nor manufacturers in that business could get away with what goes on in the RV biz!,!.
Bought my coach from an auto dealer who is also an RV dealer..... At least he understands the concept of " service".

Old 08-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just a little professionalism, is that really too much to ask?
Apparently it is, at least at some (many?) dealerships. I've run into the same lack of professionalism myself, and found reports of many more instances in forums such as this. I was even ignored by an RV sales guy who I knew thru an RV club we both belonged to. I tried to give him my business and he ignored all my requests for info on his dealership inventory. I gave up and contacted another sales rep (just by calling the place and asking for a sale guy). It was his loss, because I ended up buying a rather expensive rig (more than I planned!) that would have paid him a nice commission.

Some sales reps or even entire dealership sales teams try to discourage internet communications. They want you to "come on in" where they can sweet-talk you better and exert some pressure. And I suspect there is a deep-seated attitude that internet people are lookers rather than buyers, or at least are just surfing for the lowest possible price. I'm afraid they might have some justification for thinking that, though.

One of the necessary skills of a sales professional is "qualifying the customer", i.e. evaluating whether they are buyers or tire kickers. It does not seem to be a well-developed skill at many dealerships, either at the worker level or the sales manager or owner.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Every time I have asked for a picture of the rig with the slides in, the dealer has accommodated. That information helped us to avoid a mistake with a Tiffin, before we bought our Berkshire, and with an Aspire 44R. There are three dealers that come to mind that have done so for me. RVOne with their Orlando and Albany stores, Motorhomes to go in Michigan, and Southaven RV in MS. Haven't found a dealer yet who finds the slides in to be a secret.

I work at one of the dealerships you mentioned and we do it all the time. We sell to people from all over the country, and people want as much info as possible before they make a commitment to buy plane tickets, hotels, etc.
Brian W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon dewald View Post
i think what happens is some of the salesmen get an impression of dealing with who they think is a tire kicker.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Now that you've decided on a model, you will have to pick a dealer.

You've already suffered paralysis by analysis. My guess is you've peppered these dealers with questions already. As mentioned earlier, they've got you in the non buyer category. There is no substitute for BOB. Butt on Bus. It is an important part of the process, not only does it qualify the dealer it allows them to qualify you. Seeing the MH is what you need to do.

You might try calling Newmar, too.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #21
Crash Test Blonde :-)

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Gordon, I've been out to numerous dealers, have looked at and driven multiple coaches. But some dealers are not that plentiful, have you looked at how many Coachman Cross Country dealers there are? There answer is not many and none near where I live.

I plan the go to a show soon but that's not my point!!!!!! The point is you ask reasonable questions and receive no response. That's the point!

Is that so wrong?
So maybe an RV show nearer to you, if there is one? Coachman forums online, ask owners to send you photos?

Or, like us, go Newmar :-)

HTH -
Old 08-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #22

I'm sure it's not a conspiracy but merely a PITA for most dealers. We have six slides and I don't think pictures would be of much value and darned near impossible to take.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #23

"Travel ability" as I call it!! One ov my BIGGIST issues with new coaches. Manufacturers are trying to cram the most into the least amount of space for creature comfort while opened up. Pull it in and you have to walk sideways to get to the head. We travel with dogs and there is no where for the big dog to lie down or even sit if we took him in a new coach. There is literally 4x more walkway in our '04 than in a new coach. One of the reasons we hang on to the old girl.

And yes, we have driven 200 miles to look at new coaches, slides in, to see how much room and I don't think pictures would have told the whole story.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
The coach has wheels and you have legs - just get out and look at them.

I have never had an issue with seeing a coach with the slides in, Just ask for a test RIDE, and bring your Camera.

Simple, JMHO,

. .
Busskipper, you missed the point. The nearest coach with the floor plan I am considering is 898 miles away from me. None of the dealers that are closer to me have it. I will not drive 1800 miles round trip just to see what the dealer could send me in a picture if he spends 10 minutes of his time. If I like the picture, then I will drive to see the coach.

I sympathize with the OP completely. Moving-around space when closed up is very important to me and the missus.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #25

Thanks Mark, A true voice of reason!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last time we were looking we were at a show and I wanted to see the bedroom with the slide in. Salesman kept trying to change the subject. Finally he went on the the next couple so I just hit the button myself.

Guess what. Mattress folded up with the slide in. Made the coach totally useless to us as my wife and I stay in rest areas a lot when traveling. No wonder the salesman tried to avoid putting the slide in.
Old Radios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #27
Crash Test Blonde :-)

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok how about you ask a friend or online acquaintance or hire someone to take pics and email them, from wherever the coaches are?

You won't be able to get the dealer personnel or manufacturer to change their practices from a distance I guess.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Now that you've decided on a model, you will have to pick a dealer.

You've already suffered paralysis by analysis. My guess is you've peppered these dealers with questions already. As mentioned earlier, they've got you in the non buyer category. There is no substitute for BOB. Butt on Bus. It is an important part of the process, not only does it qualify the dealer it allows them to qualify you. Seeing the MH is what you need to do.

You might try calling Newmar, too.

I have a confession to make, something that is unique to me as I look for a motorhome! Some may want to turn away from the screen because some of what you'll read here is quite sordid. OK, you’ve been warned!

• I find a floor plan I like and compare it to other plans.
• After finding a plan and coach builder I like, I compare them to other plans & builders.
• I find my favorite then look to see if there are those I like even better.
• I try to get as much information as I can before going out on the road.
• I come to the forum to read, ask questions and learn.
• I contact dealers now and again for information.
• I go out and look at, drive, analyze and continue my education.

And yes, there may be other things I’ve failed to mentioned. You see, I’ve been on the forum since February 2015 (6 months) and do not as yet have a motorhome! I know what you’re saying... You Animal, You Beast, You’re Mother Wares Combat Boots and Worse! You see, I didn’t know when I started on the forum there’s a time limit to buy! I even went back through the forum rules to see if I missed it. And to my great shame, I missed it again!

And there is a general concern because I’m told I can develop the dreaded “paralysis by analysis” as I “peppered these dealers with questions” and maybe even slide into a “non buyer category”. Maybe even worse, I could fall into an acronym “BOB, Butt on Bus”! The great thing about that of course is “it not only qualifies the dealer, it allows them to qualify you”. Because “seeing the MH is what you need to do”.

All things that are needed to not fall into a Coma!

Tags
slide