Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
WyoFree - IMO we are trying to get you out there to touch, feel and get into the enthusiasm. Many of us have analyzed our purchase to the n'th degree. And come to a decision . . . . and . . . . procrastinate because we hear a rumor that next years model will have more features and will only have a slight increase, possibly a decrease in price and so we wait.

Not trying to tell you what to do or what to buy. Just buy what you like . . . . or wait! If you had purchased a unit in Feb 15 you could have been out there for a year and a half. That is two summers passed by.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Paralysis by analysis. Now I know what a friend of mines suffers from. Every time my friend of 40 plus years starts to buy a car he starts researching and asking questions. This goes on to the point of decision when lo and behold the new models come out and he starts the entire process over again. It takes him 4 or 5 years or more to finally decide. I guess he saves money by keeping the old car longer?

We went to a few RV shows, kicked some tires, figured our budget and jumped in. We have had years of use and memories even if the one we bought wasn't "perfect".

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #31

Hi Guys,

We all come to Class A motorhomes from different places. Some started camping in tents, to pop up trailers, to trailers, to fivers, to Class A gasser, to Class A diesel. Or anywhere in-between and learning a bunch of things along the way. So moving up is more of a natural progression for you.

Others, like myself have done none of that with the exception of Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Explorers and a few hunting trips. When I started looking for a Class A, all I knew about was I wanted to travel looking through the BIG window of a Class A motorhome. I'd seen them on the highway and that's about it!

So I have a lot of questions as I sift through it all. Mike, (known here on the forum, by Mike and Cha) said to me once after I told him of a motorhome I liked said "You'll go through a lot of thinking and looking before you settle on the right one, we sure did"!

A statement I often think about because its so very true! Hey Mike, you said something smart. Who'd ah thought it?

Please give us new guys with no RVing background a little extra space to explore and ask questions? We'll get there!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would never consider buying an RV of any kind without seeing it with the slides in!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #33

I 100% agree with you Joe! I'd just like to have a picture before traveling 6 or more hours.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #34

Next time I shop I'm going to make a checklist to take with me since I always forget to look at or ask about something that later turns out to be a "oh @#$%" moment . I don't blame you about wanting a picture. We also live a long way from dealers. BOL
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi Guys,

We all come to Class A motorhomes from different places. Some started camping in tents, to pop up trailers, to trailers, to fivers, to Class A gasser, to Class A diesel. Or anywhere in-between and learning a bunch of things along the way. So moving up is more of a natural progression for you.

Others, like myself have done none of that with the exception of Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Explorers and a few hunting trips. When I started looking for a Class A, all I knew about was I wanted to travel looking through the BIG window of a Class A motorhome. I'd seen them on the highway and that's about it!

So I have a lot of questions as I sift through it all. Mike, (known here on the forum, by Mike and Cha) said to me once after I told him of a motorhome I liked said "You'll go through a lot of thinking and looking before you settle on the right one, we sure did"!

A statement I often think about because its so very true! Hey Mike, you said something smart. Who'd ah thought it?

Please give us new guys with no RVing background a little extra space to explore and ask questions? We'll get there!
I went directly from a sticks and bricks into a Class A. I have tent camped before, back in my younger years, however I jumped in to this Class A with zero RV'ing experience, only book knowledge from years of reading while I was saving up.

I knew what floor plan would work for me, narrowed it down to 3 different manufacturers/models, went and looked at one, fell in love, bought and drove it back to base. It's a used coach, and even though there were some minor fixings to be done (and still to do LOL), I do not have buyers remorse.

I think what folks are nudging you to do is get out there and physically look. Pictures don't seem to do these things justice, on both the good and bad qualities. You won't know until you step inside the coach if you're going to love it or hate it.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
I hear you. Because we are all different and come at this from diffent experiences, talking about it and looking at it only gets you so far. No matter how much talking and looking you do. The reality is you will not know what question to ask because you don't know until you do it, that it is something you like. Personal example: I had a trailer for nearly 20 years. We went shopping for a Class A. When we decided on the one we now own it had AquaHot. Diesel fired boiler, etc. I'd had hot water heat and liked that. I had no idea what a luxury AH was, or how much it has become indespenseable to our life style. To the point of not owning any other RV without it. There will be some feature that you need but won't know it until you buy a MH with it. Like air leveling. So no matter how much research you do, you'll never have time to get it all perfect.

I will tell you I should have moved from a TT ten yeas earlier than I did. I missed 10 years of the fabulous Class A living. It doesn't have to be perfect to be great. I'm not telling you to be frivolous with your money either, I've never had enough that I could do that on this scale. Each of have to reach a decision in our own way. I wish you the best at finding what you want so you can start enjoying!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #37

Last year we drove to Phoenix to look at a Revolution MH only to learn that someone on the eastcoast bought it based only on the internet photos. Not sure how often that happens.

We watch those RV shows from Lazydays and the salespeople are real quick to pull in the slides and let the husband or wife drive the thing without any prior MH driving experience. Does this really happen?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Last year we drove to Phoenix to look at a Revolution MH only to learn that someone on the eastcoast bought it based only on the internet photos. Not sure how often that happens.

We watch those RV shows from Lazydays and the salespeople are real quick to pull in the slides and let the husband or wife drive the thing without any prior MH driving experience. Does this really happen?

Yes, totally true. Bought my Motorhome at Lazydays in 2010. Asked salesman to pull slides in on a number of MH's and drove the one I bought on the spot. I would run far, far, away from any dealer that would not close the slides on demand.

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #39

Friends of ours bought a new Fleetwood with opposing room slides. They didn't check for isle room with slides closed. They have about 14" between table and refrigerator to squeeze through to get to the bathroom. Both of them are near 220 lbs.
Moral??? Don't buy without personally checking access.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
No doubt about checking thoroughly the coach in all configurations. Then you can make the decision based on first hand knowledge if the unit is fit for you anticipated use.

Then it becomes a value decision from the purchaser how important it is to get to the main bathroom at the back instead of using the half bath. Do you really anticipate taking a shower with the slides in? Or what are the odds of using both washrooms at the same time? That begs the question of how likely it is if you get a coach with a large hallway how likely it is to have a bath and a half.

I have never had an issue with the salesman pulling the slides in for us when we asked. It is more difficult for them to ignore your request when you when you are standing there talking to them. I expect even then they will read your intentions and make a value decision. Experienced sales people are like anyone else and learn to read their customers.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Gorden, you made me think about how I treat my customers. While we do take phone orders, the customer in front of me gets my full attention. I find it rude, as a customer, when I'm standing in front of someone with money in hand for them to put me off to answer the phone.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #42

I had never owned any kind of RV prior to our first Class A. I had looked into it,but didn't know if we would like it or not. In 1994, I bought a used 1988 32' Southwind. It was noisy, no slides, used a lot of gas, but we were hooked. It looked the same with the slides in as when they were out. That's because there were no slides. Six months later we sold it for what I paid and bought 93 34' Adventurer. Still no slides. Both coaches helped us to determine what we wanted in a motorhome. Without these two coaches that didn't cost much, I would not have known what to look for. Our needs and wants have changed over the years and now six motorhomes later, we have the perfect coach for our needs. That might change in another year and I can envision something different in the future. If I had tried to purchase the perfect coach the first time, I would still be analyzing and researching and would have missed 23 years of learning curve and fun. So far the OP has missed 18 months of the RV experience looking for that just right MH. What will you be saying 6 months or a year from now? A year of fun or another 12 months missed? Whatever you buy, it's almost a certainty that it won't be the last. What might seem perfect now may not be right in a couple of years.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide