Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
I find it hard to image sales staff anywhere outright refusing to show a prospective customer a coach with the slides in. I can easily see sales staff not rushing out to take pictures of a buttoned up coach to send them to somebody making a telephone inquiry. Commissioned sales folks get run into the ground by "tire kickers" and "lookers" as it is. An out of the blue request to send pictures of a closed coach (while obviously reasonable) isn't a standard industry practice ... you won't find a "buttoned up" view on any sales brochures. It's certainly not one of the standard shots in the "photos" section of the coach advertising for any of the "big" dealerships with significant internet presence. Right, wrong or indifferent - it is what it is.

I'm a firm believer that with just a little bit of effort there are things you can do to get a sales team to take you seriously. When it's time to shop for big ticket items - I've found it pays to "look the part". I've gone so far as to make an appointment to see things. I'll usually step up my level of dress (khakis, nice shirt, leather shoes). If it's a big ticket purchase that would typically include input from your significant other - my wife does the same thing and we go together. Early on in the conversation - I hand 'em my business card which says I'm a vice president at a large bank. (...anybody who knows the banking game knows that banks hand out VP titles pretty generously ... so it doesn't mean much). It sounds corny - BUT, I'll guarantee you - when I present myself in this manner - there IS a definite difference in how the sales staff responds.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
^^^^Ditto, that's what wife and I do, too. Well said!

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Well said Norman.

Being on site does two things. One it gives them a chance to evaluate how they are going to treat you and Two it gives you a chance to read if they are the dealers you will consider giving your money to.

Having said that we did all of our arrangements via telephone and internet. Lichtsinn has taken internet shopping to the next level and will do all kinds of live interaction with a customer including a real time walk through.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #46

Hi Folks,

I have never had a salesman refuse to bring the slides in. And as a practical matter if I like a coach I drive it. So bringing the slides in at that point is a given. And I agree with the dress for success part of it as well. As a matter of fact SpaceNorman, I glommed onto your business card and I use them as well. The only problem is your picture, your better looking than me!

My deal is this... If I'm interested in a 40' Kipstapper, I should be able to call a dealer, talk to a salesman and get a picture of the interior of the coach with the slides in! Especially knowing I'm 8 hours away. And a professional salesman worth their salt should be able to qualify someone, even on the phone, and separate a tire kicker from a serious inquirer.

If any of you are like me and I don't wish to insult you with that, I want to do business with a professional, someone willing to do the job and willing do go out and take an interior shot if asked! It's not a lot to ask and if someone asked me to do it I'd not hesitate and most of you wouldn't either. I'd even do better and put my phone on video and walk front to back with slides in and out!!!

That's what I'd do and yes, I do it for the customer but its mostly done for me! I want to know I've done what I can do the service the customer. Them buying from me would be nice of course, but the main thing I want is to make sure I didn't do something to make them "not want to do business with me"! Maybe I can't get them the best price, but I can get them the best me and that's worth something!

Maybe that's why I'm retired and can afford a motorhome? I hope its true of everyone reading this thread. Good Lord, can't we take pride in what we do anymore?

Sorry, didn't mean to preach...
Old 08-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Kind of off topic, but I'm the devil's advocate on the "dress for success" - for the customer.

I regularly dress super-casual (some would say slobby) -
Ripped jeans, old shirts, no make up, cruddy shoes, etc. I never smell bad, everything above my shoes is clean, but dog hair is a given and fashion is OUT of the question :-).

That said, we are well-spoken and I've been called "smart" at times :-). I have NEVER been treated poorly or less-than-seriously by any salesperson, customer service agent, etc.

I suspect that you would also be treated similarly WITHOUT the fancy /professional clothes. I do not notice any difference in how I'm treated by ANYONE than when I was working, made up, and in snazzy business suits :-)

Just my thoughts...
Old 08-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe34 View Post
Kind of off topic, but I'm the devil's advocate on the "dress for success" - for the customer.

I regularly dress super-casual (some would say slobby) -
Ripped jeans, old shirts, no make up, cruddy shoes, etc. I never smell bad, everything above my shoes is clean, but dog hair is a given and fashion is OUT of the question :-).

That said, we are well-spoken and I've been called "smart" at times :-). I have NEVER been treated poorly or less-than-seriously by any salesperson, customer service agent, etc.

I suspect that you would also be treated similarly WITHOUT the fancy /professional clothes. I do not notice any difference in how I'm treated by ANYONE than when I was working, made up, and in snazzy business suits :-)

Just my thoughts...
I'm usually uber-casual myself. Jeans, sweat pant, gym shorts, t-shirts, cheap "shower shoe" style sandals - is my usual grab. I work from home 99% of the time ... and am constantly kidded by those that I happen to come in contact with if it's another "pants optional" work day for me. I totally get it when it comes to not paying much attention to how I dress.

Like you, I can't say that I've ever been treated poorly or less than seriously by sales staff when I'm dressed in my usual uber-casual "style". What I can say is that I've seen others - who had obviously stepped it up a notch get better treatment -i.e., approached by sales folks first, receive what appeared to be slightly more engaged responses from sales folks, etc. It was enough to make me give it a try.

Having tried it both ways - I'm comfortable in saying that it does make a difference. The fact of the matter is that you're competing for attention ... and to the extent that commissioned sales staff has a choice in prioritizing where they're going to invest their time and energy ... I've seen enough to realize that the customers who "look the part" come out on top in that regard.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #49

Gentlemen I think we've regressed as we've discussed the way we dressed.

Suffice it to say one should dress in a way appropriate to the circumstance. For that reason I do not shop for a motorhome in the same clothes I play tennis in. And that's very good thing because I don't play tennis.

I do golf however, although most would say not much! But lets not start off in that direction please!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #50

There is merit to presenting oneself in a professional manor, but I've never done it when buying a motorhome. After the first coach, I had something to trade and one of the first questions asked by the salesman was "What do you owe on your current coach?" When I answer that I have a clear title and will not need financing. After that, it's like I had my best suit on, although, my best suit probably doesn't fit me anymore. To be up front, the last three coaches have been purchased from the same local dealer. He gives me a number. I give him mine and then we find middle ground, all on the phone.

Clothes can make a difference, but one can not judge another by his clothes. Had a customer/friend, deceased now, that was a sloppy dresser and drove an old Dodge pickup that was covered with mud. I think his net worth was around 15 million. No debts and always had several thousand in cash in his front left pocket. He said you never know when a good buy came along and cash talked.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
And a professional salesman worth their salt should be able to qualify someone, even on the phone, and separate a tire kicker from a serious inquirer.
Obviously, they are doing a very good job of that!
Old 08-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
There is merit to presenting oneself in a professional manor, but I've never done it when buying a motorhome. After the first coach, I had something to trade and one of the first questions asked by the salesman was "What do you owe on your current coach?" When I answer that I have a clear title and will not need financing. After that, it's like I had my best suit on, although, my best suit probably doesn't fit me anymore. To be up front, the last three coaches have been purchased from the same local dealer. He gives me a number. I give him mine and then we find middle ground, all on the phone.

Clothes can make a difference, but one can not judge another by his clothes. Had a customer/friend, deceased now, that was a sloppy dresser and drove an old Dodge pickup that was covered with mud. I think his net worth was around 15 million. No debts and always had several thousand in cash in his front left pocket. He said you never know when a good buy came along and cash talked.
Yup - have to agree with the clothing and misconception.

One fellow I met looked like the handy man/paper picker at a world cup ski resort. Rubber boots, olive wool pants, flannel shirt! And he would wander around the ski area picking up bits of paper, etc and throwing in the waste barrels. He owned that resort and several others.

However if he had walked into a dealership and started wandering around someone would have likely asked him "can we help you?" (a polite way of asking him to state his business or leave) rather than what would he like to look at.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post

X2 or 3 is it now. I had to dress professionally my entire career, either in a suit or uniform, so now that I'm retired I dress quite casually. Most of the time shorts/T-shirts/Tennis shoes(all clean of course) and I've never had an issue of how I was treated or being taken seriously by a salesman. I don't need them to be impressed by me, I need to be impressed by them, and if they judge me because I'm "not dressing for success" then I will gladly go somewhere else. I have the money to buy whatever I want or wear whatever I want but the last thing I'm going to concern myself with is impressing a salesman who needs my business. Anytime I've said I don't need financing, and I don't have a trade, they take me very seriously, and give me more attention than I want.

When I was 20, and working my way through College I had managed to save my money so that I was able to buy a Searay boat that I had always wanted. I had done all my research , knew what a good price would be and the equipment/model I wanted. When I walked onto the lot all but one salesmen ignored me. We talked for a few minutes, and within an hour I was signing the paperwork for the order/purchase. All the other lazy salesmen couldn't believe I bought one and so quickly, and realized they had lost out because they "judged a book by it's cover". I asked the Salesman why he helped me and he told me that when he was new as a salesman that a person walked onto the lot, dressed shabbily, and did not appear to be able to buy a boat. He was the new guy and talked to everyone he could. The Buyer purchased a $50,000 Searay on the spot from him(this was in the early 1970's so you can imagine how much that was then). When they did all the paperwork he learned the buyer, who paid cash, was one of the Jackson Brothers, and was just looking for an honest dealership who would treat him respectfully.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #54

Mike, another voice of reason. You better learn to pace yourself young man!

Tags
slide