Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Why can't we see a NEW coach with slides in! Is it a secret?

How is it you can call a coach manufacturer and get all the information you could possible want. Some you don't even want. But then you ask "can I see a picture with the slides in" and you hear a bunch of coffing and hacking and midnight snacking. Some are so sophisticated the have a paper bag handy that they crumple up as they say "sorry we're breaking up, we can't hear you" and the phone goes dead!

Then you call the dealer and ask "can I see a picture with the slides in" and they act like they never heard the question before! Than you say something outlandish like "could you take a picture and email it to me"? That's when you realize the dealer has the same paper bag the coach builder uses!

It's a conspiracy of epic proportion! Do they know when you drive a Class A that you put the slides in? Do they know when you're driving down the highways and byways that someone my want to use the bathroom, the refrigerator or wave of micro?

That's what cruse control is for, for pete sakes. So the driver can get up and use the facilities! I mean seriously, you ask these people for a shot with the slides in and they act like you're a crazy person.

Am I the only one who has been made to suffer from the dreaded "SIS" disease? "Slides In Syndrome"!

What does one do about it? Is there a cure?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #2

LOL. We feel your pain

Old 08-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ask the slide Depth of each of the slides (especially the opposing slides), you know from the Spec sheet the width. You can subtract the slide depth from the overall width and get a good idea of the room available between by the floor plan. Reefer layout and bath or 1/2 bath you can then get an idea how much or if it will be accessible. OR -- go see a similar one on a dealer lot and have them pull the slides in. IT was one of the things we like most about our bounder, frig --- no problem can get to everything, 1/2 bath --- easy access. The only thing we can't walk to is the master bath, and it is just a scoot across the bed, but if we have to have both bathrooms occupied at the same time while traveling down the road something is not right. LOL

Good Luck WYo
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
ask the slide Depth of each of the slides (especially the opposing slides), you know from the Spec sheet the width. You can subtract the slide depth from the overall width and get a good idea of the room available between by the floor plan. ...
Sounds good on paper, but won't work for many coaches. Our curb side living room/kitchen slide is 18", but the sofa sticks out at least that much beyond it.

What you want to see or measure is the isle width with the slides in, everything is in travel mode. Any dealer we visited had no problem pulling the slides in for us, I never asked for photos from a dealer that had never met me.

Post on the owner's forum for the make and brand you're interested in, someone there will likely be happy to take a photo of theirs for you.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #5

The bottom line is you can't buy a MH by doing everything on the internet, on IRV2, or over the phone. Some do provide photos of the MH's buttoned up, but most people want to see them opened up in photos so they can see all the amenities, and living space. I don't think a photo would give you what you are looking for anyway, as you wouldn't be able to tell how much room you really have. So I can see why they might not be so responsive, if you have never been there to look in person or try to develop a personal connection with a dealer(even if you don't buy from them).

When we bought ours we drove over 80 miles each way, several times to meet with the dealer, looked at all the stock he had, and drove several different models. Each one we drove, we drove to an area where he had us open it up, put out all the slides and spent as much time as we needed with us. When we had done this several times there was no question with each model what access we had to the amenities, whether it was opened up, or buttoned down for traveling. Then when comparing all the notes we took regarding the +/- of each model, if we had any questions or there was something we missed, our Dealer was very responsive in answering any questions we had over the phone. The only way you will ever know if it works for you is by seeing it in person, and anybody can give you their opinion, but only you know what is most important for you, and how you plan to use it. Good Luck, get out there and look that's half the fun of buying one. When you are spending this kind of money on a toy it is well worth the time you spend driving around to see them.

On ours we can use everything, bathroom, fridge, microwave, dinette, ect while driving down the road, with no issues or difficulty.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #6

Every time I have asked for a picture of the rig with the slides in, the dealer has accommodated. That information helped us to avoid a mistake with a Tiffin, before we bought our Berkshire, and with an Aspire 44R. There are three dealers that come to mind that have done so for me. RVOne with their Orlando and Albany stores, Motorhomes to go in Michigan, and Southaven RV in MS. Haven't found a dealer yet who finds the slides in to be a secret.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

Admittedly my post was intended to be tung in cheek. And some of you have the benefit that I do not have, a reasonably close dealer. My closest dealer is 2 hours away and currently has no 2017's on their lot. Nor do they have my floor plan of interest on order. The nearest one who does is 8 hours away. That may change as the 2017's are in greater distribution but that's how it is now!

Any information I can get without travel is a good thing and getting a picture with slides in does not strike me as an unrealistic request. Especially when all they have to do is jump on a golf cart, take a picture and upload it. 15 to 20 minutes max towards a purchase of $200,000.00 + coach does not seem unreasonable. They can do it the day we talk or the next couple days would be just fine, just do it. Why should a customer be made to drive 5 hours to see something as simple as a floor plan with the slides in?

Some dealer salesman have said "I'll be happy to do that" and not done it even after I contacted them again. I've talked to regional reps who have said "sure I'll do this and that for you" and did nothing! Even after reminder text's and emails. I've even had a coach builder at headquarters level tell me "you have to go through the regional manager" for that!

I asked one coach builder for a MSRP Sales Sheet showing the MSRP of the coach and the options. I was told to go through the dealer for that. THE DEALER!!! We've seen and/or heard of dealers developing their own MSRP stickers. And the coach builder will not provide an MSRP sheet? Are you kidding me! I didn't ask for the wholesale price, I asked for the retail. Sending me someplace else for their MSRP sheet is outrageous!

Then you say "hey, if I had that kind of trouble I'd forget about that coach"! That's easy to say if you're able to find the coach you want, with the floor plan you want, in the type and style you want, at a place you can get to within 6 days of travel. OK, slight exaggeration, but you get my point.

Come on, we're not buying a $500.00 used car here. Just a little professionalism, is that really too much to ask?

Yes you're right, not too "tung in cheek" this time!
Old 08-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

When we were looking for ours no one close had the floorplan we wanted, so we opted to drive to Indiana to see one at the factory, which was a crap shoot as they don't keep any around for show. We lucked up and one had just come off the line. The people at the factory were very accommodating.

We also communicated with another member of this forum who had our model and explained how the unit did while slides were in. So perhaps if we knew what you were looking for someone might could provide pictures.

Lastly, Another nice thing about Newmar, is they have a website that has the order forms with list prices for base unit with options.
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #9

You're right about that Tom, Newmar is a super company to deal with. My wife and I were also there for a plant tour and the people to the person are terrific!
Old 08-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Admittedly my post was intended to be tung in cheek. And some of you have the benefit that I do not have, a reasonably close dealer. My closest dealer is 2 hours away and currently has no 2017's on their lot. Nor do they have my floor plan of interest on order. The nearest one who does is 8 hours away. That may change as the 2017's are in greater distribution but that's how it is now!

Any information I can get without travel is a good thing and getting a picture with slides in does not strike me as an unrealistic request. Especially when all they have to do is jump on a golf cart, take a picture and upload it. 15 to 20 minutes max towards a purchase of $200,000.00 + coach does not seem unreasonable. They can do it the day we talk or the next couple days would be just fine, just do it. Why should a customer be made to drive 5 hours to see something as simple as a floor plan with the slides in?

Some dealer salesman have said "I'll be happy to do that" and not done it even after I contacted them again. I've talked to regional reps who have said "sure I'll do this and that for you" and did nothing! Even after reminder text's and emails. I've even had a coach builder at headquarters level tell me "you have to go through the regional manager" for that!

I asked one coach builder for a MSRP Sales Sheet showing the MSRP of the coach and the options. I was told to go through the dealer for that. THE DEALER!!! We've seen and/or heard of dealers developing their own MSRP stickers. And the coach builder will not provide an MSRP sheet? Are you kidding me! I didn't ask for the wholesale price, I asked for the retail. Sending me someplace else for their MSRP sheet is outrageous!

Then you say "hey, if I had that kind of trouble I'd forget about that coach"! That's easy to say if you're able to find the coach you want, with the floor plan you want, in the type and style you want, at a place you can get to within 6 days of travel. OK, slight exaggeration, but you get my point.

Come on, we're not buying a $500.00 used car here. Just a little professionalism, is that really too much to ask?

Yes you're right, not too "tung in cheek" this time!
I think it is time for you to "get out" and make some personal visits to see what you are proposing to purchase. Working from home on the internet is not going to prepare you for everything. Pictures are/can be misleading.

Suffice it to say I have been in a number of coaches with the slides in. All of them had access to the fridge and a bathroom. Was there dancing room in most of them - NO - but you should go before you are dancing.

If you are looking for a large hallway while travelling you should consider a coach without slides. Slides are there for a purpose and the cost of putting a small slide in is probably not worth the effort when you show it to a focus group.

Time to make a decision and buy or walk away. You are wasting too much of the time you could be out utilizing a unit.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #11

Hey Gordon, I've been out to numerous dealers, have looked at and driven multiple coaches. But some dealers are not that plentiful, have you looked at how many Coachman Cross Country dealers there are? There answer is not many and none near where I live.

I plan the go to a show soon but that's not my point!!!!!! The point is you ask reasonable questions and receive no response. That's the point!

Is that so wrong?
Old 08-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Admittedly my post was intended to be tung in cheek.
Can we get a picture of that??
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #13

tk, you'll need to talk to my regional manager for that!
Old 08-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Gordon, I've been out to numerous dealers, have looked at and driven multiple coaches. But some dealers are not that plentiful, have you looked at how many Coachman Cross Country dealers there are? There answer is not many and none near where I live.

I plan the go to a show soon but that's not my point!!!!!! The point is you ask reasonable questions and receive no response. That's the point!

Is that so wrong?
I think what happens is some of the salesmen get an impression of dealing with who they think is a tire kicker. They balance their effort against the possibility of making a sale.

If you are getting serious about the Cross Country take some vacation time and head over to the closest dealer. They will be more likely to talk to you and run the slides in if you are in front of them.

Tags
slide