Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
The traveling restroom for my wife!

Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I retired in 06, never drove a RV but bought it after a 3 mile ride. From there took it home about 100 miles and made 5 trips from NH to CA to see my kids and grand children.

2006 Damon Daybreak 3274 35' Ford F53 V-10
2006 Ion Retired Navy, FAA and PASS Union VP
Shellback1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #17
Bought ours for the dogs. We got tired of paying so much for a hotel room IF we could find one that allowed pets.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #18
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
Bought ours for the dogs. We got tired of paying so much for a hotel room IF we could find one that allowed pets.
Just glad to see there are others that are as "sick" as us. Man I love my dogs!!!!
2014 King Aire 4593
24' Stacker w/toys = 75' of fun
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had planned on buying one a little later in life as my wife and I envisioned traveling the country together. When my wife was diagnosed with Leukemia in 09 we decided life was to short to wait so we bought a Travel Trailer in 10 and loved it. We traveled to KS and NY and had a great time. Unfortunately side effects from Chemo make having a restroom within 10ft a necessity so we looked at Class C's and Class A's. Since I will be doing all the driving I liked the Class A as I have driven Trucks my whole career and felt the most comfortable behind the wheel of the Class A. We actually just bought our 1st class A 2 weeks ago and will be taking it out Easter weekend for the maiden voyage.
2011 Coachmen Mirada 34BH
2011 Honda CRV
campclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why a Class A

Had trailers and always wanted a Class A. Drove T/T units and knew I could handle the Class A. So for all of the reasons listed above, I decided I wanted to have a big vehicle and tow a small vehicle rather than have a small vehicle and tow a big vehicle.
Also, if I pull into a rest area in the dark and want to catch a few winks, there is no reason to get out of the Class A. I can do all of my safety check in the daylight where it's safe.
Joe from Ct.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why a Class A?

We had trailers when the kids were small. Drove some trac/trailers and knew I could drive a class A. Wanted to have the big vehicle to tow the small vehicle instead of a small vehicle to pull a big vehicle.
Also for all of the reasons listed above, and I can pull into any rest area after dark and never have to get out of the RV. I can do the safety checks in the daytime when it is safe.

Five class A's later and I am still happy.
Joe from Ct.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #22
For us it was wanting to spend time with the family. We have been working 60+ hours a week when we owned the business and now that it is closed we wanted to go camping and relax. We started last year with a TT, but we were limited because of TV and the DW didn't enjoy the ride. We also wanted something that if the girls needed to use the bathroom they could. So last month we found the rig we wanted and have just about finished all the little things to fix and have our first outing in 3 weeks. Ours has more than enough room and the kids can bring friends.

Happy Trails
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #23
Our 4 legged kids were a large part of our decision as well. I always wanted to travel, but have always put off anything extensive until I could take the time to do it right. Not hurried, no airport or other hassles to be concerned with. We decided motor home because I'm able to do my own work, and also because of that, can get by with an "experienced" coach that's likely much less expensive than my other options. That's where we are at, correct or or not remains to be seen....
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #24
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
On the road by choice, by chance, by happenstance... what does it really matter ? Have done the gamut from tents to "A" M/H. What really matters is simply to have the freedom to choose our neighbors, our location, our destination.
We were happy in the tents, happy in the popup, happy in several TT's, happy in class C, happy in KA 5th Wheel, extremely happy in Lance and C/K 3500 Combo, and the present Class A was a "Training Aide" before we took that final plunge with the DP !
Life in the motorhome brings relaxation, rest, relocation in a flash and no stick & brick could ever compare. Nice to finish a day in the stream, eat in MY KITCHEN, use MY COOKWARE and shower in MY SHOWER, as well as sleep in MY BED... no wondering who or what had it yesterday !
Our dogs are never turned away, we never have to "settle" for a full bed because we chose to travel a little further and not stop at dinnertime. Life is good, freedom is priceless !
There may come a time when a senior's condo may look convenient... hope to simply slip on a rock and slowly slip downstream and "sleep with the fishes". No Hospice, no ventillator, no agonizing family fretting... just that final "hatch" coming off the Fall River and the hope that a trout may rise !
Get out there with us vagabonds and enjoy this great country ! I bid you Peace !
05 Itasca Suncruiser, Stock w/ScanGuage II,
2012 Honda Accord TOAD,Home Based in Spring Hill, Florida...Retired Navy Officer
MegaRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
started with the tent,two pop-ups and two TTs and I finally got tired of hooking and unhooking the TT and setting it up and taking it down and the DW didn't like riding in the Excursion...Man I miss that PSD Excursion tho.
I drove step vans for 31 years and then school bus and tour bus for another ten and just happened to find this unit for a REALLY good price.Love it and the DW and the Dawg are happier now..Just wish the price of fuel would go back down a ways and I could keep it out of the shop.
'01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
2011 Jeep Liberty
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Both my wife's parents and my parents had TT's. The wife's parents eventually moved up to a Class C RV. She went on some trips with them and liked it.

I came up through the scouts with my two sons and did a lot of tent camping from the time I was about seven. We got the DW into the tent a couple of times, but it definitely was not her thing. I knew if there was to be any camping down the road, it would have to be in some sort of RV.

We had friends who owned a Class A Winnie and when an opportunity came up to get a Class A slightly used Monaco at a real good price, we jumped at it. We are now on our second Class A (also a Monaco) and planning for retirement real soon.
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Dan & Linda, 2008 Camelot PDQ, 2008 Jeep Wrangler
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #27
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
always camped!

so like with my running, started with a 5K, then a 10K, then a half marathon, now 21 full marathons later....
started with a tent, then a westfalia, then a pop up, then a 21' tow trailer, now the suncruiser :-)
is there is something after a motorhome?

and like other; love to travel, but more love for having our bed, ability to cook, etc.
peter & larry... tiffin 2015 allegro 36LA ~ chevy 2009 HHR tow
we're here... http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=12260
our blog... http://wllrtr.tumblr.com
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #28
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Being a remote employee with my company and having no idea where I wanted to live I decided to I should travel a bit to figure it out. Went RV shopping with my father after discussing all the options, TT, 5'er, B's, C's and A's. Thought I knew what I wanted when we headed out but the moment I sat in the drivers seat of Class A I knew that a Class A WAS what I wanted.

With the current RV market I found one for a steal and have been happily living it in it since. A few more life changes and I'll be completely mobile and ready to see the country.

Fulltiming since 2/20/11
12 tires
6 feet
digitalone is offline   Reply With Quote