Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #43

First RV...Too old for this!

What an interesting thread! I read every reply. I have never owned, traveled or camped in an RV, TT, 5th wheel, or tent. Serious financial disaster wiped out my entire retirement nest egg. Had to sell my home and start living in apartments I finally reached my breaking point on not having control of my environment, made an impulsive buy of a 1991 Pace Arrow to live in this year. I know absolutely nothing about this adventure and brought along my brother who is also a total novice for complete support. We are 70 and 68, and yesterday we were under the MH trying to figure out what made the rear leveling jack slip. When it came time for us to get out from under the RV, all we could do was laugh. We finally got up and he commented about what a sight we are! And I asked him why we hadn't done this when we were in our 40's. We have had several similar problems and a project to put a skirting around the MH and have so enjoyed spending time and working together.

This MH has 100k miles and came at a good price because of that. Since I did not intend to travel in it we thought it was a good buy. Guess it is, but I am finding problems with the coach that escaped us in our walk through at the dealer. Having no money to deal with these makes it disheartening. But this is my home now, and I expect it will be my last one.

It runs whisper quiet and is not hard to steer. We drove it 450 miles from the dealer to the RV Resort and that is all.

We have had the coldest winter on record and the winds have been relentless and extremely high. It rocks in the wind, but I have never been cold a single night.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Will have many questions as I go, so I thank you all in advance for your comments.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
When me and the DW were dating, 22 years ago, I promised her 'I would show her the World'....I've seen and lived around the world and US by the time I was 18, she'd only left the state once, to LA. So far, I've gotten her to 5 states (not including drive throughs), 3 we lived in.

Now that were older and the kids are grown, and we (I) just had a scare that made me realize its time..

I'm fulling my promise.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Because the power connector hinged cover that holds plug in socket on our TV broke!
We had to stop in Tuscon AZ to get a new one. On the way out of the parts department we met a REALLY nice salesman.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #46

During my Air Force days, I had flown cross country many times while on route to oversea's temp. duty stations. One particular time, I was enjoying the view from the boomer's compartment(KC-135...great view, BTW), and we were flying over the Grand Canyon...doesn't look all that impressive from 40K ft. I remember very clearly thinking, "how cool would it be to see THAT at ground level"? Forty four years later, we got'r done and it was a life changing experience! WHAT a country we live in! Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #47

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24-365 View Post
What an interesting thread! I read every reply. I have never owned, traveled or camped in an RV, TT, 5th wheel, or tent. Serious financial disaster wiped out my entire retirement nest egg. Had to sell my home and start living in apartments I finally reached my breaking point on not having control of my environment, made an impulsive buy of a 1991 Pace Arrow to live in this year. I know absolutely nothing about this adventure and brought along my brother who is also a total novice for complete support. We are 70 and 68, and yesterday we were under the MH trying to figure out what made the rear leveling jack slip. When it came time for us to get out from under the RV, all we could do was laugh. We finally got up and he commented about what a sight we are! And I asked him why we hadn't done this when we were in our 40's. We have had several similar problems and a project to put a skirting around the MH and have so enjoyed spending time and working together.

This MH has 100k miles and came at a good price because of that. Since I did not intend to travel in it we thought it was a good buy. Guess it is, but I am finding problems with the coach that escaped us in our walk through at the dealer. Having no money to deal with these makes it disheartening. But this is my home now, and I expect it will be my last one.

It runs whisper quiet and is not hard to steer. We drove it 450 miles from the dealer to the RV Resort and that is all.

We have had the coldest winter on record and the winds have been relentless and extremely high. It rocks in the wind, but I have never been cold a single night.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Will have many questions as I go, so I thank you all in advance for your comments.
Welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of great people here who will answer questions and help you out. I know what you meant when you said "why didn't we do this when we were 40" I missed the RV boat too but since I'm 10 years younger than you maybe there is still some time to enjoy it.

I also wish I had found a "really nice salesman" 20 years ago!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #48

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
I call BS on your statement in bold.

According to many sources, General Dynamics delivered the first M1 Abrams battle tanks to the U.S. Army in 1980.

Unless your unit had the very first prototypes for field evaluation, I don't think your statement is true.
You are correct on the M1 Abrams time frame for deployment.
However, I did make a mistake in listing the M1. It should have been the MBT-70 (main battle tank) predecessor to the M1.

We field tested the MBT's hull and chassis at Fort Knox,KY and the turrent/firing components at Ft. Wainwright, Alaska.

And, for your records. The M1A1 Abrams was ready for deployment in 1979, the M1 Abrams MBT was accepted for production in 1976 but was delayed for a new fire control system, turbine upgrade and range finder.

The new version M1A1 was made available in 7/79 to the 3rd Armored Cav. I was E-7 (platoon sgt) when we turned over our old M60A1E1's and M551 Sheridan's to the Marines. I retired that same year.

AND, Mr. Peacekeeper6, that is no BS of which, I resent to your reply in nature.

Sorry for any misinformation. My OP was just outlying my recreational history.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
I've always loved travelling, but hated hotels and airpanes. We did a lot of "car trips" but that only got rid of the plane, not the hotel.

When we first started looking, we weren't decided on a class A or a C. The C really woulda fit us better, with a separate bedroom for our 14 YO.. lol. but the fords were just to wieght limited, and the super C's too expensive.

Eventually we bought and loved a 36ft gas class A. 3 years later, I'm writing to you ina campground in the smokies, next to my 4 slide 40ft DP, and absolutely in heaven. Now all we gotta do is sell our stick houses... then it'll be easy to conmvince the DW this bus is enough to live in.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #50

Thor Owners Club
This is a true story...The names have been changed, cause I can I was travel in a Class A with family...After about 10 days,
I was mad at everyone and on impulse bought my first MH, a Class C, and fell in love . Now 3 MH's later, we bought the DP for the room and the dogs comfort Peace....D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The DW made me do it:>). I was happy in a hammock or the pop-up, but nooo, we needed AC/Shower/Pottie/mirrors/etc. Part 2, DW has a few health issues, so the MH allows her to do what she needs when she needs = travel with peace of mind (but in truth, it didn't take much arm twisting). Part 3, I'm up at 6, DW at 10, so we can get several hours in early. Bottom line: We are not full timers, we just love the freedom of the RV lifestyle, peace/adventure/scenery of the good old USA, and the RV folks are the best people on this old planet.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Story

Our story is a combination of many stories above.

Several decades ago when our kids were small we started of with a 19' Yellowstone TT. We loved it, however it soon seemed to be a little small so I sold it and purchased a 24' Holiday Rambler. We took the TT all over the state and during the summer I would take the wife and kids to the lake and they would stay in the TT all summer. I would work all week and come to the lake on the weekends! It was a great life!

Soon the kids got to be teenagers and the interests changed. They no longer wanted to spend the summer at the lake. They wanted to stay home and hang with their friends. Mom and dad were no longer cool!

The TT sat for a year and out of the blue we had a couple stop and ask if it was for sale. It wasn't, however them made me an offer for it and my tow vehicle that I couldn't pass up, so we sold it. This happened in the 80's. For the next 25 years life was about work and being successful. Took very few vacations.

Fast forward to 2010. 2010 was the year we took 4 vacations. Won our first cruise from work as an award. Loved it and booked another for last September and another for the entire family in November. In between the cruises we decided to vacation in our home state of Michigan. Go to all the places we went as kids. At least the ones that were still there!Sleeping bear Sand Dunes, Mackinac Island, stayed at the Grand Hotel. 10 day's on the road. I guess most would agree we spent quite a bit of money for vacations in 2010! I spent almost $3,000 boarding the dogs!

2010 was also the year that we decided that it was time for me to plan my retirement. I knew we wanted to travel a bit so we started discussing how much fun we had when the kids were little and we had the TT. Well we decided it was time to stop paying the kennels ton's of money and take our canine kids with us. We weren't all that excited abut leaving them at the kennel in the first place even though we always put them in suites with TV's and a twin bed. In August we purchased a new 29' TT. Boy have they changed in 25 years. We live in GA and used it every other weekend the rest of the year The TT was really nice, however we soon found ourselves wishing we would have looked at some motor homes. In January we said, what the heck lets go back to the dealer and see how bad it will hurt if we trade up to a MH. After a couple of weeks of back and forth we got the deal we wanted and the rest is history.

We have used the MH a total of 29 days so far this year and love it. The kids and 7 grand kids come to the lake every weekend. We have a cookout almost every Saturday night and a few of the grandkids end up spending the night.

Retirement is coming in July and we will take our first real trip in the MH in August. Going back to Michigan and will spend 3 to 4 weeks on the road.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
We actually owned a 2 story S&B house. We were on our way to our annual vacation spot down in Rockport, TX when we started noticing all the various RVs headed to the same destination.

We camped in our tent, and were quite sick of sore backs and stiff necks every morning. That sparked a conversation betwixt us regarding RVs. We knew we couldn't afford one, so I stated something to the manner of "Hey! We could sell the house and buy an RV and live in it." I seriously thought DW wouldn't want anything to do with that idea.

To my surprise, she stated that she had been dreaming of just that!! The rest is history. We found something we could pay off quickly and never looked back!! We'll be looking to trade our Brave in the not-so-distant future however for something with slides and 50 amp service.
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #54

We are on our fourth class A each one has been bigger and better. We love to travel and see what nature has to offer. Plus it far better than a Motel room.
AB7OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Here's another vote for the travelers with the dogs! We definately bought it because of and for them. (we travel with 3) My DW and I travel extensively to AKC shows for the dogs and also Alpaca shows. Now we can take the dogs, and pull the trailer with the Alpacas at the same time! We have been coast to coast as well as into Canada over the years in Mini Vans, and Suburbans. We had admired and dreamed about the motorhome lifestyle for years and finally took the plunge in Feb 2011 and bought our first class A (and its a DP). We started out with what I hope is the size and quality we both will enjoy and can finally say NO to hotels anymore. I would say the biggest reason we bought it was for the flexibility, comfort, and the freedom to go anywhere and not worry about the well being of the dogs anymore. I have had it parked in my driveway since I brought it home and have been going through everything trying to learn since. We are looking forward to getting some miles on it this summer.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #56

Showing horses with our young daughter was the reason for the first one. After daughter grew up, left home, married, we now only trail ride. My hubby is 65 and I am 63. Still riding horses and camping, but, very comfy camping. Class A pulls the aluminum horse trailer loaded down very easily.