Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #29
Country Coach Owners Club
Camped in 36 states before the age of 14. Camped for a year in Vietnam. Never going camping again!

Flew in planes, ate in restaurants and stayed in Hotels for a portion of 20+ years. Not much desire to do more of that.

Parents owned a second/vacation home. Lots of work to open it up and take care of it. Didn't want that chore either.

Always worked around big trucks. Big motor homes seemed like a fun substitute.

So we travel 90 nights a year in the MH and enjoy the scenery and variety. And........I am not camping!

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #30
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, reading this thread has brought back a lot of memories.

The DW and I used to go rock hounding and slept in the back of our station wagon, and then after we had kids, we rented a travel trailer for a two week vacation. At that point the DW told me that the only way she would go camping was if she could wake up and call room service.

Then I was into off-road 4x4s and had a pickup with camper that I used to travel around hauling my Modified Grand Cherokee to play at different sites. After two years of traveling alone because the DW is handicapped and could not get into the Pickup or Grand Cherokee I talked her to look at Motor Homes as we could set them up so she could get in and out and I wanted to share all the great places I was seeing in my travels.

We were talking and looking Class C and found a used one that we both liked, but just could not justify the price and the dealer would not deal, so we kept looking. Back in June of this year we went to look at a Class C that was advertised, but when we arrived at the dealer’s lot it was sold. So we just to kill some time looked at some Class A MH’s on the lot and we both fell in love with a Monaco La Palma, which we now own.

We have only taken a few local trips so far, but have a long one planned to start in a couple weeks and we both have what we wanted. I have the DW traveling with me and she has her Room Service, which I happy provide….

Mochisme "Ted"
2000 34' La Palma
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Toad)
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #31
We used to tour on our motorcycle. Getting older changed how we wanted to travel and motels were becoming less than desirable. Our class A has worked well for us and is a way to get out and enjoy the area quickly. Our bedroom is always nice and clean, unlike some of the places we had to use because of rain or the good places being booked.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #32
First reason; As a (very early) retired airline captain, I HATE going to the airport.

Second reason; We like riding dirt bikes in the desert and mountains, and vintage car racing. Both of those it's far easier to stay in a motorhome. We tow either our race car trailer to a track or a Manx buggy if it's a riding weekend.
2012 Montana 3582RL
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #33
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi all, My wife and I have spent the last twenty three years running motor yachts and wanted a change for retirement. We wanted to have the dogs with us and see some this great country . We have spent winters in warm climates on boats, so it seem natural to head south in the winter.
Bob & Rita Bazley
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #34
I'm on my second MH it's nothing like it. I'm a member of an RV club and we following our college football team around. When we go to the vistors staduim they treat us like family until the game start and once it's over we're family again. RVing is the best thing in the world if you love family and friends.
kimwms58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #35
Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Originally Posted by kimwms58
I'm on my second MH it's nothing like it. I'm a member of an RV club and we following our college football team around. When we go to the vistors staduim they treat us like family until the game start and once it's over we're family again. RVing is the best thing in the world if you love family and friends.
We look forward to meeting all the friends we have yet to meet
2012 Tiffin 35QBA
Home is in the hearts of those you love and who love you. Wherever they may be, THAT is your home.
BoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
We started out in a tent, had 4 truck campers, 2 8's, one 10.5' and one 11.5' with gen and a/c. Stayed with truck campers because we always had a boat(still do) and couldn't pull a trailer and boat. Went to moho on a whim at an RV show. That way we could continue to pull and launch the boat. I actually found launcing the boat with a 35' moho was fairly easy, just needed a a long ramp to get it halfway straightened out to back down. On our 4th moho but don't pull boat anymore; we just use it locally and pull it with my truck.
Barry & Sue Miller(extended RVer's, 6 mos + per/year)
04 Journey 39K, C-7, 330 hp, towing: 02 Dakota 4X or 2013 Ford Edge, Aero 5050XL
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #37
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
OH, another big plus, my neighbors don't get their lawn chairs out when we come home and I park the MH beside the house anymore.
I had that happen a couple years ago at an RV park. Sure hated to disappoint them as I put it into a tight space (trees, narrow road, 40' space for a 41' MH, that kind of thing) in one "try" although I did have to move it forward as my jacks were off the end of the gravel. They only got a couple minutes "entertainment", not even enough to drink the beers in their hands.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #38
Bought My first (class c) in 1988 to support my jeepin hobby, still have the same jeep but on my 3rd MH.
2007 Allegro 34wa .WH w20 8.1 6speed. Bow tie powered 79 CJ7 or a 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad.
jeepfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #39
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Money. I am a field Engineer and work at Power Plants, Paper Mills, and Cement Plants around the country. My company pays for airline tickets and hotels and rental cars when I travel, Or they pay for gas (8MPG), $77 night to sleep in my RV, $50/ day to drive my car to work and $60/day for food, all tax free per Diem. I work about 150 days a year. Summers off.

We are empty nesters now so we sold the house and doing it full time. We are saving our money to settle down and buy our retirement home 5-10 years from now.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 129K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #40
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How we got started: Well, we both like camping, in fact we spent our honeymoon in a tent... Then we moved (when I got one cheap) to a PUP, then a Trailer (TT) then .. I towed that 13' Scamp up to General RV and drove home in a 38' (37'7") Class A that sets up 13' WIDE. (Slides out Slide to slide).

What keeps is in the Class A.. A combination of many places we have not yet visited, and funds.. Cheaper to keep it than a house.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #41

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Because we wanted to take our dog with us when we traveled anywhere.
AMEN! And wherever we go visit family, we don't have to impose ourselves on their homes. We have our own!
Kent - '03 Fleetwood Storm Ford F-53 V-10
With Susie (Lhasa); Angie (Shorkie) Ferbie (ShihTzu)
In Memoriam: Katie, Spencer and Zoey
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #42
Have camped off and on all thru married life, tents, small trailers and then moved up to the toyhauler 5th wheel. When we would pass a motorhome I always told my husband we would have one one of these days. Finally got one two years ago. I like sleeping in my own bed, my daughter rented a cabin a month ago in a campground and woke me up at 12:30 in the morning telling me that they had bedbugs crawling all over her, husband and the twins (2 yrs old). They are about to purchase their first 5th wheel, that did it for them. Its just nice to have your own things around you when you go on a trip.

footballgirl is offline   Reply With Quote