Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our story is not much different from so many. We started in small tents and station wagons. Borrowed a friends monstrous big 27 footer in 1976 and liked it so much we waited 23 years to do it again, this time in a rented 28' C in BC. That was 1999. We began drawing specs for what we wanted on day 3 of that rental.

Bought our first coach and have never looked back. Coach number 2 has 90K miles on it and is 7 years old.

We go cross country every year, kids in VA and kids in CA. Now retired so we can stay out even longer. I worked from the road for 10 years, no longer need to do that. We have friends in RVs all over the country and use email, FaceBook and now Google+ to keep up with each other and arrange get togethers. We are FMCA and Escapee and this year I joined the Elks because they have parking at many of their lodges, sometimes even with full hookups.

To see how we enjoy our travel you can read my blog - see the signature block for the link
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have always camped, very basic, but when I met my new wife 21 years ago, she was not into dirt camping, but she loved to travel. We dcided to get a summer home in New Mexico but realized that we would then be obligated to keep going back to the same place. How about a MOVABLE summer home ? We are now on our second Motorhome which we use once a month to go to the beach and when not at the beach we are criss crossing the USA for about 6 months each year. What a blessed life.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #45

I too have camped all my life first growing up with my family, and now have had owned (3) motorhomes in the last 11 years.

Big reason is we travel with our dog. We had 2 dogs for a very long time, but we're down to 1 dog in the last several years. Cruise ships and motels don't always welcome your pets. Also - we always sleep in our own bed.

We're out pretty much every weekend in the summer, and 1-2 long trips sometime during the year.

I have hooked up more than 1 30A receptacle at friends and families homes. We're always welcome, and we visit often.

Also in 2 camping clubs. Never a dull moment!
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
We started tent camping when our 2 girls were pretty young. Couple of years in different tents. Then girls got interested in boys( go figure) and sports. When they got too big to go with mommy and daddy, we bought a 26 ft Aero Cub trailer. Now we are grand parents of NINE, we just bought a 2011 Tiffin allegro 35qba. We are loving it.
Yondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #47

National RV Owners Club
We started with a pickup camper in the mid 80's. It was a good way to get out see part of the country and build memories with our kids. We had a brief, very brief period of tent camping, but went back to a newer truck camper in the early 90's. After we went out with my folks who had just bought a 30ft class A, we realized we could benefit from more room so we bought a 29 ft gas class A. We have since updated to our current DP and gave the gas coach to our kids so we can camp with them and the grand kids.

We have not traveled as much as we originally expected, but we do get out a few times a year and lived in it for 2 1/2 years while working in a different city.

We like to travel, but are basically home bodies, so we really like having our own stuff in our own home where ever we are without the uncertainty of motels and having to eat out all the time.

As a newbe, I guess the thing that got me excited was the ability to be self contained and with the motorhome, the large windshield. We saw scenery and other things that we just didn't see from a car windshield.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Because we wanted to take our dog with us when we traveled anywhere.
Us too. and eat our own food to stay healthy... not the fast food places up and down the interstates. and sleep in "our own bed"... It's a lifestyle choice and it's way better than a cottage somewhere or a pool in the backyard.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandHo View Post
Us too. and eat our own food to stay healthy... not the fast food places up and down the interstates. and sleep in "our own bed"... It's a lifestyle choice and it's way better than a cottage somewhere or a pool in the backyard.
Had the pool in the backyard, it meant summers in the backyard with weekends here and there. No Pool, no cottage or lake house = time on the road! Where we are the happiest
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #50

Tried all but a 5th

Started out years ago back-packing which progressed to tent camping at all the national parks. Long ago, got us a VW bus camper to explore Mexico than a 8 foot cab-over truck camper which we resized to a 11 foot cab-over (what a pig) and finally a 30 Nomad trailer. That was by far the hardest to control. Never did get the breaks just the way I wanted them. After our last harrowing trip in the 90's down Cajon pass we decided to leave it in San Quintin, MX and had a local care for it while we went down twice a year for a couple of weeks...much more restful that way.
This year bought new (used) Windsor, retired and went full timing...best decision we ever made!
tommyzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #51

We are on our 4th MH... We started in 1999 with a 1982 Southwind Class A which I learned MH repair on but rarely was able to use due to the condition of it. I worked on it for about 3 years and finally traded it in on a pristine 1992 Southwind Class A which we immediately toured the west with. (What a Blast)
We used it for several years up and down the coast and on several trips to Az and New Mexico. In 2005 I got the urge to downsize and the got a 2003 Lexington B+ which was immediately put to work as my office and place to stay while I worked in the restoration of a plant destroyed by Katrina. I lived in the MH On generator power (along with several TT's plugged into me ) for ten months. Onan sure makes a good generator!! I was then able to use the MH as it was intended but I frankly was tired of it by then. In 2009 We got our 1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser and are absolutely in love with it. We get asked from time to time why we RV. They usually want to know if it saves us money. We show them our motor home them point out at the place we are camped, the people, the pets. and the lifestyle and and tell them this is why.
I sincerely hope you have as much fun as we do.
Welcome
Gordon and Sandy
gsitts is offline   Reply With Quote