Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

Why do alternators fail?

I just had to replace my alternator this summer. Sine I've only owned the coach a year I checked the maintenance log and its been replaced 2 other times since new. I have 115,000 miles so that would mean the alternators are lasting ~40k miles or ~4 years.

I also have a couple friends who have replaced their alternators a number of times on newer coaches than mine.

On a regular car, alternators seem to last longer. Why do they fail sooner in MHs?

I've heard it could be from starting the engine while 120v is plugged in or driving on salty winter roads, but would like to hear what others have to say.

Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #2

I have heard that alternators often die due to their diodes burning out. 98% of the "alternator" is fine. The diodes overheat when the alternator tries to recharge a dead battery. Dead batteries are an often occurance with me...

Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Inside the alternator are bearings, bushings, rotor and stator copper windings, slip rings, electronic voltage regulator and a series of diodes which convert the AC generated current into pulsating DC so it can be used by you and your batteries.

If your unit has the serpentine belt that turns everything it is adjusted by a tensioner so it can't be to tight. If you have separate belts for the alternator a belt that is to tight can wear the bearings and bushings prematurely.

Usually the windings will outlast all the other parts of the AL.

The remainder of the internal parts: electronic regulator, slip rings and bushings and the diodes are electrical devices and much depends on their quality. We the consumer will not have much control over where the manufacturer gets its parts. If it's from the lowest bidder then you can see the problem.

If you alternator goes out and you have to buy your own then you do have some control. If somebody else is replacing the alternator ask them if you can supply the alternator. When shopping for an alternator at some of your local parts houses ask them what they sell. Sometimes they will offer 2-3 or more qualities of replacement parts. The more expensive the longer the guarantee. You are getting what you pay for. In the cheaper units they will have to save where they can and that's in lower quality parts. The opposite is true for the $$$$$$ units.

I am partial to NAPA and did it for 35 years while teaching and here's why. They are nation wide and have to maintain that reputation. A lot of after market repair facilities use NAPA so they have to do a good job of supplying quality parts. They do offer several lines of parts so the smart consumer will buy the best that they offer and NAPA will honor their guarantee.

Here's one example. Go into their store and ask to buy some disc brake linings. Have them show you how many different linings they offer and their prices. I've checked in the past and a set of pads could go from $20 to $80 for the same vehicle. You get what you pay for.

TeJay
Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I just had to replace my alternator this summer. Sine I've only owned the coach a year I checked the maintenance log and its been replaced 2 other times since new. I have 115,000 miles so that would mean the alternators are lasting ~40k miles or ~4 years.

I also have a couple friends who have replaced their alternators a number of times on newer coaches than mine.

On a regular car, alternators seem to last longer. Why do they fail sooner in MHs?

I've heard it could be from starting the engine while 120v is plugged in or driving on salty winter roads, but would like to hear what others have to say.
We replaced our Leece Neville alternator with a Delco Remy 28 as other have to get more charge capacity and longer life.
Replaced Alternators with ..
If you have the Leece Neville I would suggest this swap.
Beagle
Old 08-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #5

In addition, it seems that RV manufacturers don't do a very good job of allowing for ample air flow in, around, and out of the engine compartment. Coupled with a generally undersized engine for the weight of the RV causes excess heat in the compartment. Heat is the great killer of electronic components and the diodes and VR inside the ALT are susceptible.

Then there are all the reasons TeJay mentions along with another basic fact. Often the RV manuf'ers will spec an alternator that is 'just right' to quickly recharge the original battery with little headroom, to save a few bucks. When you replace yours, wouldn't hurt to spec one that has 20-40 amps more output.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #6

Do not know what coach you have? I had 3 alts go on my last motor home with a rear rad.Only had total about 60000 miles. This RV has a side rad seems that cures the problem, have had no failures to date, have traveled over 40000 miles.So far still has original alt. If you have a rear rad, heat seems to be what ruins the alt., Just my 2 cents worth.
rebel
Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

large banks of batteries that often are discharged when boondocking, large inverter loads are 2 reasons also

if your batteries are down, prior to driving off, fire up the genny to recharge them...this will save major load on the alt once the coach engine is running
Old 08-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
large banks of batteries that often are discharged when boondocking, large inverter loads are 2 reasons also

if your batteries are down, prior to driving off, fire up the genny to recharge them...this will save major load on the alt once the coach engine is running
Here is a great answer.

My owners manual specifically recommends running the generator to charge the house batteries if they are low. The RV even keeps the battery banks isolated from each other if the generator is running and the ignition is on.(alternator running)..

I'm an ET and own an electronics repair facility. Heat will cause thermal runaway in solid state components. That is, diodes will fail due to excess heat caused by extensive current loads for long times.

Alternators are designed to refill starting batteries, not fill large banks of batteries.

Can they do it? Yes of course. Pay your money and take your chances.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcarm View Post
Do not know what coach you have? I had 3 alts go on my last motor home with a rear rad.Only had total about 60000 miles. This RV has a side rad seems that cures the problem, have had no failures to date, have traveled over 40000 miles.So far still has original alt. If you have a rear rad, heat seems to be what ruins the alt., Just my 2 cents worth.
rebel
Sorry. Running a 2000 Newmar MADP Spartan Chassis with side radiator. 350 isc
Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner

Sorry. Running a 2000 Newmar MADP Spartan Chassis with side radiator. 350 isc
Maybe it was the difference in paint job and not the location of the radiator.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Maybe it was the difference in paint job and not the location of the radiator.
Hmmm. I do need to get my coach painted. I bet that will solve it. 💡
Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post

Yep.

Every alternator failure I ever had coincided with bad batteries. The diodes fry.

I began strict battery maintenance and have not subjected them to large loads (ie: discharged bank). No troubles since.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 3 reasons that alternators die (Well 4 but one is obvious)

1: Overload.. Though they are supposed to be self regulating when it comes to current. fact is it is possible to overload 'em.. These folks who put residential fridges in their RV's often have this problem. But the fact is.. RV's can suck a lot of 12 volt, Solution... A MUCH LARGER ALTERNATOR.

Second. HEAT. many body builders are not good at managing air flow around the engine, this has led to many issues epically with the Workhorse chassis and the 8.1L engine,, it is the body builder at fault, though Workhorse sells the fix it kit, Burns up spark plug wires.. Burns up alternators too.

#3 is voltage spikes.. Such as happen when you jump start someone (Last time I jumpstarted with the motor home we cheated like blazes... (Fired up ye-old-onan and used the jump start-battery charger I carry in my basement.. NOT the motor home batteries but a transformer and diodes designed for the job)

The 4th one (Obvious one) Bearing failure.

NOE that heavy loads wear out the brushes as well as heat up the diodes.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #14

The electronic part is what goes out. If you can still get external regulators you can replace that for less than$20. My first class a had one (86 chieftain). They don't make them that way anymore for the same reason you need to buy the whole windshield wiper instead of just what you need, the wiper blade.