Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
Lay a set of these out in that empty spot before walking away. If they are that oblivious to your rig being there they surely won't notice them.

Maligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
Use the two cones. I have with good success! It's the inattentive that you want to educate. Most observers will get the message when they see 'em. The rascals? well... will have to venture out of their car under public eye, move the cones and park in that space. A deliberate act of aggression if undertaken.

Simply: Take a picture of the cones, the front end of the coach. If anyone does move the cones and encroach , you have photographic evidence to show a traffic officer. The safety cones are universally recognized as traffic directives to warn or restrict vehicular encroachment, regardless of who, or for what purpose they are deployed. [so long as you do not impose on circulation driveway]. Use them, the intent is a very real and warrantied use for your maneuverability of a coach "not able" to back up.

I hope this puts the issue in down-to-earth reasoning. As a general contractor we've used cones to mark wet concrete, temporary bracing, marked-off space for materials to be stacked and protection barrier around parked equipment...all. in keeping with the same issue being discussed here.
Law enforcement will recognize your right to do the same in this instance.

Safe travels, and have a great time.

62Morgan/ Tiffin Allegro Bay owner
THANKS
I'll have show this to DW, just to prove that not all my ideas are crazy!
Old 06-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
On a serious note... Just be advised that cones in the parking space aren't "official". Even if you call law enforcement and they agree that the person who moved your cones is a douche, legally they can't ticket them or tow them for parking in what was otherwise a legal spot. When it snows in the city up here we have people place everything from cones to chairs in the spots they shovel out. That doesn't give them ownership of that spot by law and the police cannot help them. Many fights about that every winter, unfortunately.
Maligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 post #12, I'm going to get a few cones myself, been thinking about it for a while. It's about the best thing one could do. Good answer/idea 62Morgan.

Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
Why not just pull forward into that space in the first place?
This is what I do, when towing boat or trailer. I take up BOTH spots, so I can pull right on out when I am ready to leave.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #20

Sounds like why I always take 4-6 spots on a diagonal so I am already nosed toward the driving lane. Every time I park so I have to turn as I leave some AH parks where I would hit him.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Sounds like why I always take 4-6 spots on a diagonal so I am already nosed toward the driving lane. Every time I park so I have to turn as I leave some AH parks where I would hit him.
I do this ALSO, if the parking lot is getting full, and I think I won't be able to maneuver out when my time comes to do so.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
This is what I do, when towing boat or trailer. I take up BOTH spots, so I can pull right on out when I am ready to leave.
How you approach situating yourself in a parking lot all depends on the length of your rig. The "take up BOTH spots" approach works great IF your tow vehicle/trailer combination is short enough into two spots "front to back" (typically 40..ish feet or less). For a large(r) motor home and toad combination .... not so much.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
I do this ALSO, if the parking lot is getting full, and I think I won't be able to maneuver out when my time comes to do so.
ScottandAnna's "....if the parking lot is getting full..." comment raises an interesting question. At what point do you look at a parking lot and decide - it's not appropriate for me to even think about parking there?

Do any of you sometimes take a middle ground approach in which you park - but having somebody stay with the coach, because the lot is starting to get a little tight?
Old 06-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODLI BBQ View Post
Think using those orange cones that utility workers use and hold that spot would work? OK my rant in complete.
Ironically, I logged onto to post this picture I took this morning at Walmart.

I have a trailer instead of a motorhome, so I point the nose of my truck toward the aisle so that if someone parks in the next spot I can still get out. I started doing this when I got double-parked by a semi-truck at a Walmart. Fortunately, that time I had space to go forward to get out. I also always make sure that I do any U-turns before parking for the night so that my exit will be easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160602_053910.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	128972  
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #25

We sometimes eat at Cracker Barrel when traveling, and more often than not the long Bus / RV parking spots are full of cars, so I parallel park along several car spaces (pull-in spaces, not parallel) along the edge of the parking lot, and as far away from the building as possible. I always place the front of the motorhome at least half way into the next parking space so it isn't usable by someone else and align it with the outside ends of the parking space stripes. This prevents someone from parking right next to the nose, and the MH is along the "outer" end of the spaces for easy exit. I have never been blocked when using this technique.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #26

Just park lateral across the car parking stripes, at the end of the stripes, facing the exit. Not difficult, never a problem.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I pull in ACROSS spots next to the curb and then turn away from the curb hard so the front end is OUT at a 45 as much as I can so that the even if the next spot is taken, I can still swing by them... (lift the tags too to make it turn tighter)

does that make sense ? hard to describe but the discovery in the pic above shows how I start, but then I would turn it hard to the right to pull the front near the end of the spots...

the cut on this Diplomat surprises me... when backing I have to really watch how far that front end swings to the side... when we first got it I was backing into a spot and had cut it full lock to the left and just HAPPENED to stop before I broadsided a Honda on the right that I never saw....
Old 06-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I pull in ACROSS spots next to the curb and then turn away from the curb hard so the front end is OUT at a 45 as much as I can so that the even if the next spot is taken, I can still swing by them... (lift the tags too to make it turn tighter)

does that make sense ? hard to describe

but the cut on this Diplomat surprises me... when backing I have to really watch how far that front end swings to the side... when we first got it I was backing into a spot and had cut it full lock to the left and just HAPPENED to stop before I broadsided a Honda that I never saw....

Yep, always a good way that allows egress

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote