Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A sign on a cone? "Warning Motorhome driver is farsighted. Park at your own risk."

Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I pull in ACROSS spots next to the curb and then turn away from the curb hard so the front end is OUT at a 45 as much as I can so that the even if the next spot is taken, I can still swing by them... (lift the tags too to make it turn tighter)

does that make sense ? hard to describe but the discovery in the pic above shows how I start, but then I would turn it hard to the right to pull the front near the end of the spots...

the cut on this Diplomat surprises me... when backing I have to really watch how far that front end swings to the side... when we first got it I was backing into a spot and had cut it full lock to the left and just HAPPENED to stop before I broadsided a Honda on the right that I never saw....
Same here with the 45 degree angle.

I put the front bumper just into the next spot, in front, so it's not big enough to use.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Parking

Interesting in that this is something we all have faced at one time or another. It's indicative of the rudeness we experience in all areas of our society. From parking lots to forums. Even RVers do it to be ornery.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #32

I don't believe it is rudeness but simply not being aware of the situation.

Never having a MH, why would someone know that backing up would be an issue.

People parking are pre-occupied with the reason they are there, not if a RV, semi or even a car and trailer needs extra room to maneuver.

We, the operators of oversize vehicles, need to pre-plan our exit route while occupying parking lots designed for cars.

Expecting John Q Public to be aware of our situation and leave us room in parking lots is just not going to happen.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Morgan View Post
Use the two cones. I have with good success! It's the inattentive that you want to educate. Most observers will get the message when they see 'em. The rascals? well... will have to venture out of their car under public eye, move the cones and park in that space. A deliberate act of aggression if undertaken.

Simply: Take a picture of the cones, the front end of the coach. If anyone does move the cones and encroach , you have photographic evidence to show a traffic officer. The safety cones are universally recognized as traffic directives to warn or restrict vehicular encroachment, regardless of who, or for what purpose they are deployed. [so long as you do not impose on circulation driveway]. Use them, the intent is a very real and warrantied use for your maneuverability of a coach "not able" to back up.

I hope this puts the issue in down-to-earth reasoning. As a general contractor we've used cones to mark wet concrete, temporary bracing, marked-off space for materials to be stacked and protection barrier around parked equipment...all. in keeping with the same issue being discussed here.
Law enforcement will recognize your right to do the same in this instance.

Safe travels, and have a great time.

62Morgan/ Tiffin Allegro Bay owner
Not an act of "aggression" to move private cones. There is no law that will back you up and showing photos to a police officer will give them a good laugh for the day!
Now, if you're a contractor on a job site that could be different, but not for a private citizen.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

People parking are pre-occupied with the reason they are there, not if a RV, semi or even a car and trailer needs extra room to maneuver.

We, the operators of oversize vehicles, need to pre-plan our exit route while occupying parking lots designed for cars.

Expecting John Q Public to be aware of our situation and leave us room in parking lots is just not going to happen.

I agree with this generally .
Old 06-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
We sometimes eat at Cracker Barrel when traveling, and more often than not the long Bus / RV parking spots are full of cars, so I parallel park along several car spaces (pull-in spaces, not parallel) along the edge of the parking lot, and as far away from the building as possible. I always place the front of the motorhome at least half way into the next parking space so it isn't usable by someone else and align it with the outside ends of the parking space stripes. This prevents someone from parking right next to the nose, and the MH is along the "outer" end of the spaces for easy exit. I have never been blocked when using this technique.
The time I was referring to, I took up about 1/3 of the space in front and the car that blocked me in backed in so the driver could get out . Passenger door was about 2 ft from my bumper and drivers side was on other white line. Maybe some people had left before us, but there were empty spaces left all around. Maybe they thought our mh would be good shade.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODLI BBQ View Post

The time I was referring to, I took up about 1/3 of the space in front and the car that blocked me in backed in so the driver could get out . Passenger door was about 2 ft from my bumper and drivers side was on other white line. Maybe some people had left before us, but there were empty spaces left all around. Maybe they thought our mh would be good shade.
I'm in the rude don't give a s--- group.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

I expect everyone driving a car or pickup to be ignorant of how to drive a large vehicle and its capabilities. I'm seldom surprised.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:50 PM   #38
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I expect everyone driving a car or pickup to be ignorant of how to drive a large vehicle and its capabilities. I'm seldom surprised.
YUP. I believe at times some are ignorant of how to drive those same cars and pickups too. So the big stuff isn't even in the equation.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:22 AM   #39

I park with my escape exit in mind at all times. Started doing that when i had a crewcab dually and didnt want to get trapped in a spot and now do it the mh.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Gee, let's see Who parks in the outer most spaces? the store employee's. They are told to do this by management so that the closer spots can be used by local customers. Also, most the time New car owners don't like door dings so.....

Had this happen several times to me. park with the nose of my moho to the front of the space (open end) with the nose hanging over the line. I always park in a turned shape, never line up toad and coach when I park. I never lock myself in at a cement curb. I plan ahead all the time when towing.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
We are always amazed at how magnetic a MH can be. We parked at the very far end of an almost empty parking lot. Went in for lunch, came out and low-and-behold some doofus parked RIGHT IN FRONT of our rig. Luckily, DH was able to back up (no toad) but really? is it a closeness thing? Another time we were at a Cracker Barrel and another doofus parked within inches of the MH. She was sitting eating in her car. We had to make a right turn (into) her poorly parked car. She just sat there, munching away while we tried to maneuver around her. I kept telling DH to take off her bumper (we're probably better insured!)
Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:52 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
We parked in a Costco parking lot off to the side out of the way and left our two dogs in the coach and went in shopping. We came out 1/2 hr. later and someone had parked right beside us with a van full of yappy dogs. They were so close I couldn't open my cargo bays.
I guess they wanted shade for their dogs but our dogs were nearly crazy after listening to theirs.