RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Rent an ionizer to get rid of the smells. It may not be air fresheners that you are smelling. The RV may have been used by smokers and the dealers try to clean up the smell as well as they can but the cleaners used leave a smell that's just not quite as bad as the smoke smell. An ionizer will fix the smell problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
As noted earlier an ozone generator is the way to go

Any coach or house is going to have an odor even if you shower every day, except for the OP's of course

The ozone will reach in and penetrate the fabric, paint, cushions and so on

As I said in my initial post "shock treating with ozone", this is the one that I owned:

https://www.air-zone.com/store/products/xt-6000/

I had one 5er that I stopped treating after the 7th treatment as it wasn't effective.

TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Because they want to. No other reason needed.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #17

I think that most rvs will have that old rv smell after awhile. While we have kept ours clean for the 19 years we've had it, it still has that old rv smell. The windows are open most of the time summer and winter. I have used an ozone machine a few times. Still I have that old rv smell. I believe the unit is just outgassing. All of the blankets and clothes and even the paper plates have "that" smell. The papers plates gets tossed and every else gets washed at the start of spring. We've learned to live with it.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #18

I don't let it bother me.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #19

Wow, so much hostility against air fresheners!
Do you guys feel the same way about deodorant?��
Cajun2Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #20

I left a bag of coffee grounds open inside a camper - over the winter.
I thought it smelled amazing!
Old 05-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #21

We use two big Air purifiers in our Class A. Smells great and the air smells so clean.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Same reason there are lots of used cars that smell like the little pine trees hanging from the mirror. The driver doesn’t believe the smell problem is him.
It's called a "felony forest"....
Old 05-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post

You'd be amazed where fragrances are used. Did you know part of the "new car smell" is sometimes artificially added?

Actually the new car smell is the new plastics and interior materials gassing off. That new car smell is actually toxic and not good to breathe.
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm also in agreement with using an Ozone generator to destroy orders. Ozone doesn't mask odors it destroys them. I'm also one that thinks its better to use the bathroom fan than to use a can of Glade.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #25

A coworker who used to be a cop told me about Scope mouthwash. If you have an unpleasant odor (yes, fragrances ARE unpleasant odors) pour some Scope in shallow bowls, close the windows, and let it sit for a few days. It absorbs the odors, and it worked for me in a car I bought that had been literally soaked in Fabreze. The owner had no idea there was a cabin air filter and was trying to cover up the smell of the dead bugs, moldy leave, etc. that had accumulated over 5 or so years.

I don't know if I'm "allergic" to fragrance but just a wiff gives me a headache, if it's strong it makes me nauseous too. I use unscented soap, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, detergent, dryer sheets, etc. etc. If you're one of those people who splashes on some cologne or perfume before work, or even worse a "spritz" in your car just before you come in, know that you're a very rude and inconsiderate coworker.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
Soooo, I've gone to look at a few now that I feel have been ruined with air fresheners. These "fresheners" are petrochemicals, you cannot get them out of plastics (think plastic bottle after storing gasoline) so the smell has completely permeated into the cushions, carpeting, ceiling, fabric and so on.

For the life of me I don't understand why in such a small space people would use something so unhealthy and toxic?

Anyway, just a rant, has anybody else had this issue when trying to buy an RV? I bought one many years ago thinking I could get the smell out of and after months of airing it out, shock treating with ozone, baking soda, and cleaning the smell wouldn't budge so I sold it.
Why? Perhaps flatulent driver? I do understand your concern. I can tell if an RV has ever has dogs spend time in them, unless the owner has used an "air freshener" for days prior to my visit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyCamper View Post
I don't know if I'm "allergic" to fragrance but just a wiff gives me a headache, if it's strong it makes me nauseous too. I use unscented soap, shampoo, deodorant, lotion, detergent, dryer sheets, etc. etc. If you're one of those people who splashes on some cologne or perfume before work, or even worse a "spritz" in your car just before you come in, know that you're a very rude and inconsiderate coworker.

I don't think people actually understand that they're toxic petrochemicals that actually get absorbed into your skin. It's pretty normal for them to make you ill, most people just aren't aware of how sick it's making them.

15% or more of the population is chemically sensitive like you and most don't even know it or understand why they're having that "foggy" feelings.

I'm with you though, it actually feels like an assault when they walk past you.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
Please remember, "perfume" or "fragrance" are always petrochemicals, they are not a real scent, the are a facsimile of a scent
Actually that is not correct. Although some synthetics and petrochemicals are indeed also used, much of the quality perfume is made from natural ingredients. Hundreds of them in some fragrances. I've seen hundreds of tons of lavender, rose petals etc. etc. shipped in. Some ingredients are animal based.

Your opinions do not appear to be based on familiarity with this complex art form and industry.

Done with this.

Tags
air, motorhome, motorhomes