RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2019, 11:37 PM   #29

We use air fresheners in our bathroom and have a small one in the air conditioner vent. They are set to the lowest setting and give off just a hint of smell. We also use a air purifier and dehumidifier as well when it’s parked. I am not big on the chemical smells of a lot of the air fresheners but unfortunately sometimes they are a necessity. I am not a chemist but I am sure the chemicals are bad for you. But when camping I have probably used bug spray, sun tan lotion, had gas or oil on my hands, touched things that have never been washed, etc. while it’s not good we use so many chemicals I have lost track of which ones are killing me, which ones they aren’t sure about and which ones to use to save my life.

elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Actually that is not correct. Although some synthetics and petrochemicals are indeed also used, much of the quality perfume is made from natural ingredients. Hundreds of them in some fragrances. I've seen hundreds of tons of lavender, rose petals etc. etc. shipped in. Some ingredients are animal based.

Your opinions do not appear to be based on familiarity with this complex art form and industry.

Done with this.

I think you're done with it because you're posting about the perfume industry in a conversation about the use of commercial air fresheners. I highly doubt the artists you know are making aerosol products. Also, "perfume" has been around for a very long time as a word, but this isn't the same as "perfume" or "fragrance" as an ingredient. In the case of the latter you're clearly misinformed as they are "petrochemicals" not rose petals.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-and-colognes/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/petro...rfume_b_573288

https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredi...512/FRAGRANCE/

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmet...nces-cosmetics

Anyway, if you don't like those sources let me know and I can post a dozen more but thought that might help clarify for you.

Basically for my own health and well being I make it a policy to not put anything on my body (or in my lungs) I wouldn't put in my mouth.

TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #31

We use about three plugin air fresheners in our motorhome. Those along with fresh air coming in the windows gives a pleasant fresh odor when entering the coach. Been using them since it was new. The coach is usually spotless, so probably not needed, but we like the pleasant fragrance. As we approach 80 years old, something is going to get us, but I'm pretty sure it won't be those plugin air fresheners.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #32

The ozone generators have gotten a lot less expensive than they were 25 years ago. I had to buy a "new to me" car after a medical incident put me in a wreck. Love the Mazda 3 5 door "Touring" model but the first owner was a smoker. The dealer did a good job of cleaning and I didn't notice it when I took the test drive. The first warm day in the sun... and I was well aware of it.

With Amazon prime, my Ozonator will be here tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #33

I agree but would expand that to why use anywhere.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #34

ozone generators

Be careful and don't think that ozone and ozone generators are a totally safe alternative. Be careful and read up on them. Also be careful how they can ruin a lot of things, like elastics and rubber and they create some very harmful byproducts while they are destroying things. They are pretty impossible to control exactly how much ozone you are creating and concentrating.

I saw one left on in a car for 2 days and the foam in the seat cushions were destroyed, the headliner was falling down and all the elastic was ruined on a very expensive camo hunting suit.

Like they say, "ozone is good up high, bad nearby", or something like that.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanBee View Post
Be careful and don't think that ozone and ozone generators are a totally safe alternative. Be careful and read up on them. Also be careful how they can ruin a lot of things, like elastics and rubber and they create some very harmful byproducts while they are destroying things. They are pretty impossible to control exactly how much ozone you are creating and concentrating.

I saw one left on in a car for 2 days and the foam in the seat cushions were destroyed, the headliner was falling down and all the elastic was ruined on a very expensive camo hunting suit.

I talked to a car detailer and she suggested 30 minutes of ozone time, with the car running and the air conditioning on, and to repeat every other day for 3 applications max. She warned me about upholstery damage (perhaps the voice of experience?).
Old 05-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #36

It can be bad for your respiratory system also. Don't get me wrong, they have a place. I'm just pointing out that apparently a lot of people buy the marketing telling them it is completely safe, but it isn't. Like a lot of things a little can be good, more isn't better.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
I highly doubt the artists you know are making aerosol products.
Why yes they do. Put me through college. When you say "commercial air fresheners" you are lumping the entire sector in one pile. That's comparing a $12K Jayco TT to a $2.3M Prevost. There are cheap air fresheners made by cheap companies, and there are very good air fresheners made by very good companies. A QUALITY air freshener is a work of art. And the fragrance in them is referred to as a perfume. Most people don't know the difference, don't have the nose to tell a decent fragrance from crap, and that's why cars and RV's "treated" with them stink. A quality air freshener properly selected to match the unit will enhance the ambiance. And no, they won't kill you.

And now I'm really done.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #38

We all have pollutants that are stored in our fatty tissue. Mostly fire retardants and other POPís. Combined with the use of industrial chemical , herbicides, pesticides, then if that isnít enough we all go to fast food places and eat garbage. I may sound crazy but itís what I believe. You can add mental illness to all the other health issues that are in direct correlation.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
The ozone generators have gotten a lot less expensive than they were 25 years ago. I had to buy a "new to me" car after a medical incident put me in a wreck. Love the Mazda 3 5 door "Touring" model but the first owner was a smoker. The dealer did a good job of cleaning and I didn't notice it when I took the test drive. The first warm day in the sun... and I was well aware of it.

With Amazon prime, my Ozonator will be here tomorrow.

As I've now mentioned a few times, I have an $800 commercial unit, didn't work! For light odors I would say it potentially helped but as a rule it wasn't a viable option for heavily scented items be it clothing or vehicles or otherwise. It's certainly no miracle cure, at best it will reduce odors by 1/3 which if not heavily scented is a big deal but if heavily scented isn't going to be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanBee View Post

Yeah, people don't understand them, they will break down plastics, cause issues with wiring, fade plastics, the list goes on and one. They will also cause all the plastics and so on to off gas again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
We all have pollutants that are stored in our fatty tissue. Mostly fire retardants and other POPís. Combined with the use of industrial chemical , herbicides, pesticides, then if that isnít enough we all go to fast food places and eat garbage. I may sound crazy but itís what I believe. You can add mental illness to all the other health issues that are in direct correlation.

This is all true, I actually wrapped my mattress in 5mm food grade plastic to keep the flame retardants out of my body. I eat healthy and use no nasty chemicals or scented products. If I can't eat it, I don't use it as a general rule. I also only wear cotton clothing for the same reasons.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
I'm just waiting for one of the many "certified" aromatherapists we've run into at various RV parks to weigh in on this one Ö. all I can say is that I hope I'm keeping a reasonably straight face whenever somebody starts talking aroma therapy and essential oil infusers. When they get too over the top Ö I'm forced to start talking about out the ol' chicken bones, tea leaves and other "tools" for my voodoo practices.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
🤷🏻*♀️

I bathe, wear deodorant and even put on clean underwear every single day. I don’t smoke, I wipe down my kitchen & bathroom pretty much every day. And I love air fresheners. (I didn’t realize that was a problem) :0
LonnieMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #42

I use dryer sheets to keep out pests. It gives a hint of freshness but is may be a bit overpowering at first. When I park it for an extended time, I put dryer sheets in all the drawers, cabinets, refrigerator, freezer, entry door steps and bathroom. No ants or other unwanted guests in my coach.

kssme2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, motorhome, motorhomes