Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #1

Why do you want to clean two bathrooms in a motorhome?

I have noticed that most of the large upscale motor homes have floor plans with two bathrooms. I'm trying to understand the appeal of utilizing space in this manner. Help me understand. Most of these same floor plans appear to be designed for just a couple. I'm eager to learn because I just keep thinking of all of the other ways this space could be used.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 06:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The large master bath in the rear is difficult to impossible to access during travel with the slides in. The half bath, usually in the center of the coach, is accessible while traveling with slides in. It is also what you'll use during lunch stops and can serve as a nighttime bathroom for guests on the sleeper sofa so the don't have to walk through the bedroom.

TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #3

I only have one bath but here is what I think is a good idea for some.

DW can use one for herself and keep all of her stuff out.

DH/DW with medical condition spends a lots of time in bathroom so second is useful for the other at time of need. Currently when needed I trot over to the camp facilities.

One for the couple and one for the occasional guests and don't need to see your stuff.

One for parents/grand parents and one for kids.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #4

We have 4 kids. Enuf said. Lol
Old 09-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #5

I want have to wait my turn,if I had a 42 or longer I would want one.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #6

Bath and a half are great when traveling with guest. They have their own bath in addition to easy access while traveling.
Gdawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #7

Great as a spare for when one of the toilets breaks, leaks or malfunctions !
Old 09-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I understand your consternation about a bath and a half coach. I kind of felt the same way when we moved from a 40' to 43' that did have the extra 1/2 bath. We got it used because everything else was right about the rig. I can tell you that I am so glad to have it! As you age it is nice to not have to wait for the better half to finish in the main bath - and she doesn't have to feel rushed. We can also keep our personal stuff in the main bath area and not have to worry about always putting everything away. Visitors can quickly access the 1/2 bath and when the grandkids visit, it is wonderful. For us it would now be a priority in another coach if we ever switched. Our other main priority is the Oasis heating system. Gives you unlimited hot water. JMO hope this helps - mark
Old 09-05-2015, 07:54 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have been full-timing for nearly 5 years in a 40' Beaver that has a "split" bath and have had no problems with that arrangement. We have had grandchildren on extended visits for several weeks, but otherwise it is usually just the two of us.

Our bath is configured with a toilet room with its own sink. A second sink is positioned in a "vanity area" near the shower, which, itself is quite large.

Unlike many of today's MHs, ours is 100% functional with its slides retracted so we don't have the problem commonly cited as one of the reasons the extra half bath is needed. I realize that different people have differing opinions on their desired MH layouts, but this one works very well for us.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We have been full-timing for nearly 5 years in a 40' Beaver that has a "split" bath and have had no problems with that arrangement. We have had grandchildren on extended visits for several weeks, but otherwise it is usually just the two of us.

Our bath is configured with a toilet room with its own sink. A second sink is positioned in a "vanity area" near the shower, which, itself is quite large.

Unlike many of today's MHs, ours is 100% functional with its slides retracted so we don't have the problem commonly cited as one of the reasons the extra half bath is needed. I realize that different people have differing opinions on their desired MH layouts, but this one works very well for us.

As full timers for 8 years, we agree with this post completely. Our coach is 40' with a split bath. We do have a second lavatory in the bedroom. It's just us about 98.5% of the time and would never give up the space required by the 1 1/2 bath configuration.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #11

Ditto what Steve and Joel said. I guess if you travel with more than 2 people or have company staying with you a lot, I can see the need for 2 baths. We had our son, DIL, & GS with us for 3 weeks this summer and managed just fine with the split bath with 2 sinks. That was an unusual trip, so it's usually just us, and our set up works fine.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't want two full baths, but in our MH the shower and main lavatory are together, and the toilet and another lavatory are behind another door. This allows one of us to be getting a shower while the other is ........... !
Works out great for us!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #13

I see your point. There is so much square footage to clean in our MH and it would be so much easier to clean with out that extra six sq ft.
On the other side it is great having the 1/2 bath for myself when getting ready in the mornings. For us, the convenience out ways any of the negatives. Besides, we full time and have plenty of storage. I suppose we could use that space for things we currently store in the basement but then we would just have more open space there.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #14

We just spent our first full summer away in our little MH. I started a list of things that, if we decided to trade up, would be "must haves" in the next one. Another toilet tops the list. It's just the two of us and the dog, but there were times this summer....... For me, it makes all kinds of sense.

Tags
motorhome