Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't been inside ANY motor-home that has both safety belt seating for eight and sleeping arrangements for eight.

I am sure they are out there someplace but in most cases modifications would be necessary to ensure that eight people could travel safely, legally and have a restful sleep.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, an aqua-hot would be a nice upgrade. I finally got tired of cold showers at my house and got rid of our water heater and put in a Noritz tankless water heater. My teenagers can't run out my hot water tank anymore :-)
aarong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you have four seat belts on the dinette, two or three on the couch, and the two drivers you can safely drive with eight people. I am learning that RV seatbelts aren't always screwed into anything solid though. Have to watch what they are connected to.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look at Newmar's line. They will custom most anything for you. You can also make many changes/additions from their build spec form. Their gas models are the Bay Star & Canyon Star. Solid company with outstanding customer service.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #19

Motor home decor was designed by "younger" people trying to come up with something they thought "older" people would like.

They missed the mark entirely.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jim, we love the Newmars but they don't install the drop-down bunks above the cab area. So we have ruled them out. Much nicer to be able to use that cab space for a sleeping area.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
"...looks like grandma's house". That is a great description! One of the reasons I purchased new was to get away from that look. I agree with the comment "...designed by younger people trying to come up with something they thought older people would like". This is the way it has always been since I have been RV shopping. I just read somewhere that the mean RV owner age is 34-54, so it just goes to show you that the RV manufactures are not paying attention.
Whenever you have an opportunity to tell someone at the factory, let them know your feelings. I have done that many times and I always get a strange look from them.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #22

It is not only the interior decor that is an assault on good taste. Looking at most modern class As driving past is a rather vomitous experience as manufacturers vie for the dubious distinction of having the most swirls in the most colours.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #23

Nothing new I'm afraid. My original 1985 B had dark pink curtains, shades and trim. Replaced them all with a nice charcoal/brown combo. Much more guy like.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
they keep making them.. and we keep buying them..

I've just settled on the fact that it might be better to buy something a little older and renovate the inside with the saved dough.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
It is not only the interior decor that is an assault on good taste. Looking at most modern class As driving past is a rather vomitous experience as manufacturers vie for the dubious distinction of having the most swirls in the most colours.
I just assumed no one could draw a straight line ... for whatever reason
Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #26

My rv has belts for 7 and sleeps 9. The dinette only has belts on the forward facing seats but I imagine ones could be installed on the other side so you would have 9 belted seats.

We just spent eight days up in Canada and were comfy and not over crowded. There were two adults and three teenage boys.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #27

Some of it is to justify the high sticker price - all the millwork and fancy wood cabinetry. Fabric or leather choices don't sway the cost much - they are usually just pandering to their demographic. Many folks equate this wood-work to the overall quality of the coach. The reality is it's just window dressing.

I hate the whole look like a tree exploded inside the RV. Especially the over-the-top traditional dark wood interiors.

If you want contemporary these days, you really have two choices - go up-market to the totally custom rig like a Prevost, etc, or go downmarket to the B's and small C's that are similar to what you'll find in Europe. Those sizes tend to keep to their European roots as far as the cabinetry and appointments go.

If you poke around on the youtubes though, if you go back a couple years, you'll see some pretty wild upholstery styles on some of these rigs in Europe. I guess there are changes in fashion everywhere, not just among old ladies here in the States.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong View Post
Jim, we love the Newmars but they don't install the drop-down bunks above the cab area. So we have ruled them out. Much nicer to be able to use that cab space for a sleeping area.

There should be cabinet shops in or near Nappanee that would do a drop down bunk for you. Have you asked Newmar if they would do one for you? I'm always surprised what they are willing to do to accommodate their customers.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunkhouse, decor, motorhome