Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong View Post
...My DW and I both like the layout of the new Mirimar 34.3. It will sleep 10 (if that number is kids). We can even put a porta-crib in the master bedroom for our baby. Plus we like the large amount of storage and 100 gallon fresh tank (I got mostly girls and they like their showers).

Some thoughts about the above and gassers in general...

Unless your camping includes either; access to shower and restroom facilities that you will use, you are prepared to run to a dump station often or you have full hook ups...

1. You only have 83 gal of useable water. That is because the COMBINED capacity of your black and grey tanks is 83 gal. That assumes you manually dump some of your grey water into the black tank to balance them out. Having a 100 gal tank does you not good under those conditions.

2. Unless you teach your "girls" to take quick showers you WILL quickly fill the grey tank. With 8 people you will also probably quickly fill up the black tank too.

3. Be VERY CAREFUL on weight and balance of the coach. Gassers tend to put a LOT of weight on the rear axle. 8 people, 83 gals of water (fresh or black/grey) and full fuel will challenge your GVWR. That doesn't include food, clothes and "stuff" for personal and camping needs of 8 people.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Don't need ANY luck using my 10 gallon hot water heater. It heats the water to 160 & then "mixes" with cold water. Equiv. to a 16 gallon HWH.

UMMM....160*?!

Could you provide your HWH model and make?

Second and third-degree hot water burns can occur at the following rates at the following temperatures:

110 degrees F. 13 minutes
120 degrees F. 10 minutes
127 degrees F. 1 minute
130 degrees F. 30 seconds
140 degrees F. 6 seconds
158 degrees F. 1 second

My Suburban WH has 2 thermostats to control either the gas or electric demand and are set for 120* but can be replaced with 130* versions. We manually adjust as needed for comfort. This is safe for nearly any household with children. I am hugely concerned about a system that would take water to 160* and then mix it for you. If that mixing system fails to properly add cold water... That doesn't even consider that if you are working with the system and have an accidental release of unmixed hot water the danger that it represents.

That being said, there certainly are systems that can allow for safe operations at those temps but I am not certain MHs have them. For a "fair and balanced" counter to my concerns...

Turning down the temperature on the water heater and monitoring the temperature at the faucets until a temperature between 110 and 120 is obtained. The down side of this option is that a water temperature of 140 degrees F. at the hot water heater is recommended to kill any Legionella bacteria that are in the water system.

Installing a thermostatic mixing valve on the cold and hot water lines that lead from the water heater to the fixtures. A thermostatic mixing valve tempers the water such that water temperature will not exceed the temperature at which the thermostat is set. The mixing valve will control the water temperature at sinks, tubs, and showers served by the water line.
Because a thermostatic valve will allow hot or cold water to continue flowing if it fails, adult family homes may, in addition, choose to install a "fail safe" valve between the mixing valve and the faucets to which the water line is leading. Generally, these are solenoid-actuated valves that shut down the hot water supply to the shower or tub (or sink) if the water exceeds 110 degrees. Although these valves are generally quite expensive, they are they only way to guarantee that unsafe water will not reach any of the faucets served by the water line. However, neither DHS 88, Wis. Administrative Code, nor the state plumbing code requires this type of valve in a non-health care facility.

The size of your piping and the manufacturer model design both affect the cost of a thermostatic mixing valve and a fail-safe valve. If you purchase a thermostatic mixing valve or a thermostatic mixing valve and a fail-safe valve, we urge you to shop around. We have heard that estimates may vary greatly.

For full text see...Adult Family Homes - Hot-Water Temperatures, Wisconsin,

Old 07-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
How far off topic can you guys get?

can we get back on topic
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #46
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why does motorhome decor look like grandma's house? (example pics included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
How far off topic can you guys get?

can we get back on topic

I'll second that.
Let's get back on topic here.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I agree with you ...

However, I have found that many motorhomes in the 2001 - 2007 era do have more contemporary themes. New ones probably won't be to your liking. I'm assuming this is more to your liking .... a 2006 or so Mandalay.

Ditto for our Mandalay. Our couch isn't leather, it's more of a tweed type of fabric, and a nice, deeper shade of green/brown/tan. It would look fine in the house. Cabinets are cherry, door hardware brushed nickle; same for bath fixtures. Very much like you'd find in a house, although we didn't know at the time how rare this kind of decor was.
Having seen a lot more MHs since then, I agree with the OP.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:23 AM   #48

The mirmar is a good layout for large families. I have 6 in my family and ended up going with a Windsport 34j. Just went on a trip where I slept 9 people in the coach and it wasn't bad. The decor us fairly contemporary as well. No carpet. And faux leather.
Giant Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #49

The Windsport 34J is also on our list. Giant Jeff in your experience how loud is the cab area, especially while climbing hills in your 34J? Did you look at the Mirimar when you got your 34J? Anything that tipped you toward the Windsport?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:21 AM   #50

One the Windsport is lighter than the Miramar with the same engine so I figured it would gave a better power to weight ratio. 2 I dry camp a lot and wasnt sure about the residential fridge. 3 it was cheaper. It is loud up front. Especially up hills. Almost to the point of being annoying. My next project is to lay some sound deadening material on the under side of the doghouse. The coach runs like a champ. Tons of power. Great for a large family.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:39 AM   #51

Bounder is the worst. Ive been shopping for an rv and almost every single bounder I have found looks like a flower shop exploded inside.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #52

Giant Jeff does your Windsport have the outside kitchen? How useful has that been?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
This topic really cracked me up. I'm married to a grandma and she doesn't like the interiors any more than you do. Even MY grandma wouldn't like it! The brass light fixtures and the weird valances that you'd never see in a house? Whose grandma were they thinking of? Maybe it's a "Midwest" thing.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #54

Aarong, I did not find the outside kitchen useful. In fact I ordered the coach with out it as I would much rather have the huge storage space. I built some shelves there and find that way more useful.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #55
doc

Appalachian Campers
If the OP will contact some of the Federal Prisons around the nation, he will be able to find the builder(s) of the transport buses used in moving inmates around the country. Basically a rolling jail cell and nothing like grandma's house. Strictly utilitarian like he wants.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #56

This one doesn't look like Grandma's house...

URL:http://www.mhsrv.com/2006-blue-bird-...er-tx-i1231648

Tags
bunkhouse, decor, motorhome