Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #99

Tiffin Owners Club
Lolol, well I just became an official grandmother 4 months ago, but I sure wouldn't have wanted my home like RVs, doesn't matter which design. Like I said, they haven't changed much over the years. My itasca navion was a newer look, and more euro looking, so it can be done!

No, lol, my theory is that Grandma still does the design decisions, she's still in the business!
Still searching for a replacement dining light for my 33aa so I can toss this pointed plastic leaf away! there sure isn't much market out there available to choose from...

And me too, wild toad! I just said to my husband today, gee an old one to remodel would be great. And really? Can you paint over bug brown wallpaper? I wish!

480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #100

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine sleeps 8, although it's just the 2 of us and the girls. Not sure what would happen if its raining outside, we would be pretty cramped...
Sorry but I really like the first Picture that the OP posted.
I can safely say I'm kind of old fashion and like it.
Are you close to me? If so I can come and get it... When you start the re-model.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #101

I haven't purchased my rv yet, but here is kind of where I am:
1) Frankly, the interiors looked pretty cut and paste to me. When people tell me that the floor plan is important, I have no clue what they are talking about. Pretty much the same when I walk inside. There is a bed, a toilet, a shower, etc. etc. Yeah, I know, does the bed fit, does the shower fit. does the toilet fit. etc. etc. Really tough challenge here to work this through.
2) Whatever I buy, I'm gonna have to settle on a theme, and dump and replace all this standard stuff. Maybe I will put in a bidet, that will alternate as a water fountain if I can get the lighting right and maybe a Koi pond where the kitchen is.
3) My wife and I were talking themes. She surprised me. I want an asian theme and she wants a beach theme. Frankly, a complete gym would work for me in place of everything North of the shower and toilet. Since my wife likes to call her relatives in China and I do the cooking, she probably won't notice anyway.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #102

Oh yeah, I forgot, my 90 year old mom wants to come with us. I offered to set her up in her own tear drop trailer we could pull behind the mh, but for some reason she doesn't like the idea. She said you and Susan can sleep in an overhead bunk or a fold out bed, while she sleeps in the bed. I said you can sleep in a tent, Susan and I get the bed. That ended the conversation.

Yeah, she's not gonna be coming with us...I know how to fix that idea real good.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
Sleeps eight... Whoo... I do like the toy haulers (twin queens) idea and think that would be your best bet. Plus a ton of toy storage (bikes,ect) in the toy garage while traveling which will be much needed. Tail gate open not completely down: Nice deck enclosure out back when your backed up to the lake or stream. You can even leave the tailgate open at night on good nights Then use it as a dinning room with a nice screen enclosure. And most of the decor on the new units I've seen are up to 20k standards. I can see it now: a Newmar toy hauler with a 10 passenger van towed behind, 2 16' plastic canoes on top of van with a 6 bikes rack in the vans trailer hitch (other 4 bikes in the toy garage). That's camping..
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #104

aarong, resistance is futile.....just give in, go with the orange shag and lime green cabinets......hang a disco ball in the living room, pick up some leisure suits at Goodwill and be done with it

One more thing....demand everybody call you "Cousin Eddie":
Old 01-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #105

This post cracked me, and my wife, up!!! We needed the laugh. I am 45 and my wife is 42. We have three kids (8, 3, & 3). We bought our first rig one year ago, a 2007 Sunova 35J with bunks. The layout is great and the price was right for us. Though, the grandma's house is alive and well. I would got a step beyond and say that most of the "economy" rigs like this seem to lag 10 years in technology in general. Why on earth did they put tube TV's in a 2007 rig? LEDs came a long way, but they were already developed well enough by 2007. Same with the black & white backup camera. Etc. I looked at some 2003-2004 diesel pushers and the interior decor looked like 1978. I just don't get the huge lag in design and technology, unless you get into BIG $ units....

Great post!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #106

One of the things I have found most interesting about RV decor is how it has changed overs he years. Early RVs were very utilitarian and somewhat influenced by boat interiors for a lot of obvious reasons. And of course, that retro look has its own culture now.

But then it progressed into trying to be 60s/70s hip. Go to the Winnebago web site and check out their on line literature library. Then at some point, it seems like they tired to make RVs look more like a traditional home decor.

As far as some of the decor in the uber RVs (and mega yachts too) I'm not sure I get that look either. But if you have the money, and you like it, good for you!

Our trip to soon to be RV ownership started with thinking about getting an Airstream. We just love many of their interiors, but just did not think a TT would meet our long term travel expectations. We also really liked the new Winnebago Brave interior, but still have not seen the larger 31C, and wasn't sure if these would be more of a novelty in the market.

We are OK with the Tiffin interior, but we did go with the cream colored "pleather" and lighter colored cabinets, kitchen counter, and other interior materials. The cabinets are still a little too traditional for our tastes, but we will change out the cabinet hardware to try to add a bit more contemporary look.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #107

Why does motorhome decor look like grandma's house? (example pics included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Why on earth did they put tube TV's in a 2007 rig? LEDs came a long way, but they were already developed well enough by 2007.

Not really. In 2007 LED backlighting was not common.....most used the cold cathode fluorescent tubes. Also the LCD panels at that time could actually freeze and be damaged by below zero temperatures. The viewing angle then was also quite narrow...meaning that if you viewed the TV from the side you saw no picture. And lastly, they where at least twice as expensive as tube sets in the 17" - 25" size range.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Not really. In 2007 LED backlighting was not common.....most used the cold cathode fluorescent tubes. Also the LCD panels at that time could actually freeze and be damaged by below zero temperatures. The viewing angle then was also quite narrow...meaning that if you viewed the TV from the side you saw no picture. And lastly, they where at least twice as expensive as tube sets in the 17" - 25" size range.
Fair enough, sounds like you know a lot more than I do about this, was just thinking that my 2003 Toyota and 2005 Honda both came with LCD screens for the kids to watch DVD's. I had wondered why the RV companies where going a different way, but true the car's screenings were smaller. Thanks
Old 01-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #109

Tiffin Owners Club
Roger, the Teardrop idea is brilliant! Cracking up here can we fit a Smart car in it on occasion? They really are cute retro trailers!

I guess if they just keep throwing in another TV, maybe both outsides, then we all will be happy for a year or two! ;-0 hehhe
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #110

Winnebago Owners Club
It just shows how we can all be influenced by the so called "designers and fashion gurus". If things did not change they would soon be out of work. All too often we see change as improvement.

Making it different and calling it an improvement is misleading. I laugh when I see product being advertised in a new improved box. Well the new colors and graphics on the box are different than the old one but you did not tell me it also has 10% less product and the price is still the same. Dont get me started on the packaging of ice cream!(#&$^#(

What does modern mean? Friends are trying to tell me that decorating for Christmas in blue and silver is modern?? As if I have to like it or be labeled as old fashioned. Well blue and silver are kind of wintery colors - I guess. But I still like the traditional reds and greens.

I have an old fridge out in the garage. Avocado was the rage at one time. Looking back . . . . its a good beer fridge and works well. As good as the stainless one we now have that shows every fingerprint.

We hired an interior designer when we did the S&B remodel. Of all the suggestions she had DW accepted NONE. Said we could hire another to see if the next one would come up with a design she liked. Decided that I would follow the DW suggestions and save the designer fees.

Reminds me of the definition of a consultant. "A consultant is a mystical person who asks you for a number and gives it back to you."

Bottom line is the colors in the RV are fine. I am sure in the future someone will say something about them being out of date. The couches are comfortable and will last a long time. DW may want to change for something more current or modern but I will like them just as they are.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #111

I don't know if the OP is still out there or even still looking, but since he seemed to be searching for ideas and if he is still reading this thread, take a look at the Fleetwood Storm or Encounter line. The 32bh model is what we just bought in the 2010 Encounter model year (Fleetwood was forced to change the name to Storm from 2011 on.)

It has the drop down residential-sized queen over the driver/passenger seat, bunks in the middle, an RV sized queen in back, and of course the dinette and couch make into beds. That's sleeping for at least eight and there are seatbelts for eight. That's if you get the bunk bed and breakfast option, where the top bunk folds up and the bottom bunk makes into a small dinette. Plus the area under the drop down bunk (when down) up front makes a great play area/hideout/cave for the kids.

This set up is perfect for our family of six, but at least I have all boys! 😁 They have to be told to go take a shower (10,10,10,&6) yep, triplets! Boys will be boys...

I think that Thor also has a similar setup. But you would have to search for the model number. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:32 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Defining "grandmotherly" is like trying to hit a pretty elusive target with a BB gun. We all sort of know what it means but it's hard to put your finger on it.

For me, it's the cheesy vinyl wall paper and the horribly bulky and overdone curtain valances. Oh, and as mentioned above, the brass light fixtures.

I've found a primer that will allow me (when it warms up a bit) to texture and then paint the interior. And I've found curtains that are barely 1" thick that raise from the bottom or drop from the top. I'm making the valances out of wood stained to match the cabinets.

This is a great thread and please post ideas as I'll bet there are lots of iRV2 folk out there that feel the same. Thanks!

Tags
bunkhouse, decor, motorhome