Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #15

Talking Tom,Renda,Taz,36 winnibago,boss hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig N Deb View Post
I am trying to make a decision on setting up a nice enclosed trailer painted to match my Discovery DP and I have to wonder why more people use the toad method rather than an enclosed trailer?
I have motorcycles we haul now in a smaller trailer and I was thinking of selling it and buying a larger trailer to haul our Explorer in the trailer when we don't take the bikes with us.
Can you guys tell me why I should not do this?
Thank You in advance.
You have to think of weight,the lighter the better on your drive train and more weight more fuel to move it.I found a tow dolly that will haul a car and a motorcycle.Look at bestpricetrailers.com and scroll down to motorcycle tow dolly.A little on the expencesive side but i want to take the boss hoss that weighs 1260# + a small truck + the weight of the dolly.This will work for me and stay under length and weight for my M/H.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig N Deb View Post
Can you guys tell me why I should not do this?
Thank You in advance.
You can do it if total weight stays below 10,000 lb.

You might look at a short stacker trailer to haul both car and bikes at the same time.

My D has a 5K limit so I pull my 3,300 lb. toad 4 down.
Any trailer would put me over weight.
I use to pull my bikes in a 14' enclosed trailer that weighted 1,000 lb empty.

A Explorer can weigh in at almost 4,700 lb.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #17

In our travels, we use state parks when we can. My experience to date has been that generally speaking, I'm already driving about as big a rig as I want to be able to find a campsite without too much trouble.

If you're more into private parks, I'm sure they might be more accomodating when pulling a big enclosed?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bonasse View Post
You have to think of weight,the lighter the better on your drive train and more weight more fuel to move it.I found a tow dolly that will haul a car and a motorcycle.Look at bestpricetrailers.com and scroll down to motorcycle tow dolly.A little on the expencesive side but i want to take the boss hoss that weighs 1260# + a small truck + the weight of the dolly.This will work for me and stay under length and weight for my M/H.
It would appear your total tow would exceed 5K lb. Is your MH at DP?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Craig!

Weather permitting are you bringing the bikes on your current trailer to Cape RV?

I think the answer to your question is as varied as situations. For us the issue will center around flexibility and convenience. We don't have any motorcycles and I can easily carry my 2 bicycles on a reach hitch or in the Honda CRV toad itself. Since we went on the bigger size with our 43' DSDP we thought having an easily accessible scout vehicle seemed in order. As an example, we figure that when we enter some campgrounds we haven't seen before that we could disconnect and make sure we have a good path to our spot.

If the terrain gets a bit hairy, we could disconnect and drive separate too. Also we don't have to negotiate with a CG on the trailer storage issues.

We don't have any toys that would work better in a trailer so the added weight and length are minus factors for us. However, the enclosed trailer does have some security advantages.

BTW, I am dead set against any attempts to upgrade a hitch to put on a heavier trailer. If you have a 10K hitch and a GCWR to support it (which I believe yours does ), cool. If not, then look at your options with weight in mind. There have been a few lively discussion on this subject. Also, trailer loading isn't quite as simple as it might seem. It isn't rocket science either but how a trailer is loaded can be beneficial to overall handling. I think the trick is to avoid over stressing the tongue.

See you in April. Hope you can bring the bikes...I'll race you. LOL
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow alot of responses and opinions!
Let's see....first off my coach is rated to haul 10,000 lbs. and I feel like it will be no problem for the "HOGNEST" to haul an enclosed trailer with our Harley's or our Explorer.
I am not worried about value after custom paint or where to park it because I have towed my whole life with very large trailers and there is always somewhere to park it. In a pull through site I would simply use it as my garage.
I truly appreciate your thoughts. Thank You guys!!
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I intend to tow a Silverado and put a Motorcycle loader in the bed. A trailer long enough to haul both was quoted at ~$10k, 4 down and loader ~$4k.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My parents full time and haul a trailer. They keep their small pu, fold-a-bote, and other hobby things inside. They don't travel much except between two places in Summer and Winter. They park the trailer next to or behind the 35 foot RV. AT 42 feet already it would be easy to reach the 65 foot mark in Kalifornia. Currently we tow four down. Nice being able to get to the toad in a couple of minutes.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's like, were do I draw the line? A 24' enclosed for auto and motorcycle, a tow dolly for car, if I'm only 4 wheeling it, I hate to take the big trailer if I'm just taking the bike, I've seen nice posts with nice tow dollies with motorcycle carriers on them, and nice hydraulic lifts, but everything is still open to the elements, It's nice having a trailer, you can put anything extra you think of, or she happens to buy, in there, now if you buy a trailer and get a v nose, get the extended tounge, a friend of mine doesnt and it hits on sharp turns, I back my car in and leave it in the back and the trailer is almost balanced, there have been parks that
I had to unhook and leave it some were else, there's only been 1 time I had to leave it out side the park, we pulled it down 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona with no damage, I did added a camera that ties into my existing monitor,painting it would be nice touch, but I dont have full paint so not important to me, going to miss you in April, but you'll see it the next trip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1246.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	34985  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
We already have an enclosed trailer for my race car. Racing will have to stop when we retire, so my first inclination was to keep the trailer (4 wheel brakes) and haul our Miata in it. Then I started thinking about finding room for the 35' motorhome, a 26' overall length enclosed trailer and a Miata while full-timing.

The Miata is now equipped to be flat-towed & the C7 Cat hardly seems to notice it back there.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #25

I have a 16 ft enclosed trailer. I use it for 2 atvs, motorcycles, golf cart ect. Since my 2000 37g winne is only rated to tow 5000lbs, that rules out putting the car in there. The trailer weighs about 2500 lbs itself. Most gas mhs are only rated for about 5000 lbs. This is why most people opt for the 4 down method. I dont know about the liablility of trying to upgrade the towing capability of a mh. Mine has a frame extension at the back 8 or 10 ft. Thats why the reduced tow capacity. My buddies dp has the engine at the rear, and the I beam frame runs right to the back of the coach. This is why he has the greater towing capacity. Unless you have a dp, most gassers are not capable of towing a trailer with a vehicle on it.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Don,
I am very excited to be going to MO next month!
I am going to bring at least the HD Ultra Classic in my trailer if the forecast looks good. I have been watching it but, I am sure the forecast will change 100 times before then. lol
I am really thinking of upgrading my trailer for some flexibility but, we can talk about it next month.
Just was so curious and my coach is rated for 10,000lbs. so I can do it easy enough.
We will see.....
Thanks Everyone!!
Craig
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #27

We have a Newmar DP and we either tow a Jeep Wrangler flat on all 4's or we tow a 25' trailer with a beefed up tongue made longer for ease in backing up. Inside the trailer is a 1928 Essex which we take to car shows. We also have a 900 lb motorcycle which we carry on the back of DP on a three point lift that is not a commercial design but rather being an engineer I designed myself. The big advantage of towing the trailer is the storage space, the draw back is buying tires when they rot out....the Jeep is what we take over the summer for three months of boondocking with the motorcyle
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #28

Well - first it is hard to find a trailer that would take a Suburban, second, I kind of treat the Suburban as a trailer, third, what do you do with the trailer when you want to park?

For me this would be one scenario: arrive at a camping place that is NOT in the wide open desert, need to put the trailer somewhere, can't back it in with the MH cause it just isn't agile enough, so I have to get the vehicle out of the trailer, break the trailer off the MH, park the MH, move the vehicle around to hitch up the trailer, use the vehicle to park the trailer, then break the trailer off the vehicle, move the vehicle.

To leave reverse the procedure.

Oh yes, probably have to pay to store the trailer on top of the cost of the parking spot.

Not that this would happen every time, some camping spots are big enough for the MH and a trailer, but not many.

distaff is offline   Reply With Quote