Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #29

I think you should do it. You have a specific need that calls for a specific solution. I pull my 28' enclosed behind my coach because I race... this is my specific need. When I camp, I have a much smaller trailer that I can haul the bike with. The only drawback I could see MIGHT be the overall lenght. Most states limit you to 65' bumper to bumper. The folks I have spoke with that are over 65' say law enforcement has never messed with them. Just be aware this could be an issue depending on your travels. Good luck with your decision!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE=Gearhead383;1501576... Most states limit you to 65' bumper to bumper. The folks I have spoke with that are over 65' say law enforcement has never messed with them. Just be aware this could be an issue depending on your travels. Good luck with your decision! [/QUOTE]

The big concern I have with this is insurance coverage if one exceeds legal length limits.

Personally, as a few have said, it really depends on an individual's needs and personal choice. I think 4 down is easier than a dolly but that doesn't mean dollies are bad. Dollies give some flexibility and don't need to be changed out like a new car will need a new tow plate. 4 down might be quicker to set up and tear down which could be very convenient if one gets caught in a tight situation and can't back up but conversely, a trailer is easier to back up. (I'm not sure dollies are much better than a 4 down to back up but maybe a bit better?)

Trailer's can hold a variety of stuff but often have to be parked someplace else than the CG spot but not always.

The comparisons could go on a long time but you get the drift. Still, I think in the end it much like the process we went through to buy a MH. You study up, compare features, determine what you think will work best and then go forward with it. you might make a "wrong" choice but nothing is permanent except maybe a tow plate installation.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Going from CA to FL to MI and several other states in between before going back to CA last April we found only one that we had to unhook the trailer for. Since we were taking the 4Runner off anyway because we were gonna stay for a few days it was not a problem.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #32

As I posted earlier: When I was stopped in California it was not for over length. I was passing thru Baker and was stopped by A CHP/DOT officer. As soon as I got the red searchlight in the mirror I started looking for a really wide area in which to stop. Found one less than a quarter mile up ahead where the old road was only a few feet from the interstate. I had the door open before he got to it and stepped out, only to be told to get back in. After a few questions which determined that I was alone and all the paperwork was in order. I must say he was not rude and any question he asked began with Sir. After a few minutes of chit chat he told me he stopped primarily to see what I was hauling and asked if he could look inside the trailer. Sure, I opened the side door and told him to look around as much as he wanted. I had a Harley sideways and a kit car Cobra and some other stuff.

At the conclusion of his inspection which took about 30 minutes and a lot of conversation he told me I was too long. Frankly, it never even thought about it. Sure enough after taping it I was a tad over 2 feet in excess. After discussing the options, there weren't any, he asked where I was going. Told him I was going to head north along the coast and end up in Vancouver. I was issued a fix-it, warning citation and told not to leave the state and reenter without the repairs being made. He said if I were to be stopped again to show the officer the ticket he wrote. 12 days later I left California and have not been bothered since.

My point in sharing this is to advise not to get too excited, rude or insulting during a traffic stop. Entering CA from AZ is another story, you really have to excersize patience if you are chosen for inspection there.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
On our Winn. Journey, I had the hitch reinforced to handle 10,000 lb, and I'll do the same on our new coach.
But that doesn't actually change the tow rating of your RV, unless, of course, the rig can be upgraded with a simple hitch change like ours can. The only one that can do that legally is the manufacturer.
We have a 6,000# rated hitch, Spartan says I can just change the hitch to a 10,000# rated one and be good to go.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Algoma;1497755]There are a limited number of cars you can tow 4 down, so if you don't have one of these a dolly, flat bed or trailer is needed. Going that route you may as well enclose the trailer and throw in all the toys. I am currently at a park where the 3 vehicles close to me have enclosed trailers, although they have motorcycles and not cars in them. My wife has vetoed my getting one as we don't have anywhere to keep it at home.

There might be a limited amount of cars that you can flat tow, but if you don't have one, you ought to get one. By the time you add the enclosed trailer and a custom paint job, you've reached the price of a good used tow car and you've still got the hassle of loading, unloading and storing the trailer.
I can see having a trailer for specialty hauling (race cars, custom cars )
but a flat tow is still the way to go in my mind.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I was issued a fix-it, warning citation and told not to leave the state and reenter without the repairs being made. He said if I were to be stopped again to show the officer the ticket he wrote. 12 days later I left California and have not been bothered since.
So how did you fix it before leaving the state?
If you reenter and get stopped. They will probably make you drop the trailer and use a shorter vehicle to pull it. Plus a $$$ ticket.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #36

We don't leave home without it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stacker3.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	35226  
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
We don't leave home without it!
That is the finest 1/72 scale remote control model of an Entegra Cornerstone I have ever seen! That is the only thing that explains the proportions attached to a 24" Stacker. Then again, maybe you are under delivering expectations?

LOL...I couldn't resist. My bad.

I'm assuming you have a 24' Stacker instead of a 24" stacker.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #38

I don't haul quite as much as bullheaded can or even look that good but my T Bucket really likes road trips in this rig..............

Mike
Old 03-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
So how did you fix it before leaving the state?
If you reenter and get stopped. They will probably make you drop the trailer and use a shorter vehicle to pull it. Plus a $$$ ticket.
I did not have to fix it then and never did. What he told me was not to leave the state and re enter without fixing it.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You may have already made a decision but I will give you my two cents. I have towed with a dolly, 4 down, and a trailer with the motorcycle and car in the trailer.

There are many posts on this forum also you may want to search for other good points.

I agree it is a little more hassle in a trailer in some circumstances than 4 down. The dolly was least desirable but it does have advantages of some flexibility of towing more different vehicles than just one 4 down.

Trailer to me is very desirable most of the time, since I can put my Harley sideways in the front with my side ramp door and a vehicle of any kind in the back. Both arrive safe and clean. When it is nasty out it is easy to get out of elements to secure the vehicle and bike in the enclosed trailer. I have total flexibility to take any of my vehicles, friends vehicle if we go hunting, multiple bikes if my buddies and I go to a destination to ride, and never have had an issue with finding a campground to accommodate me.

The biggest downside to me for the trailer is maneuvering in some parking lots and when I want to take the motorhome in for service I prefer to take a vehicle 4 wheels down and not mess with the trailer.

You specifically want to take the bike/car and in my opinion an enclosed trailer is the only way to go for that combination.

One of the big disadvantage to 4 wheels down is the damage to the front of the vehicle, every vehicle I have ever towed 4 wheels down or on dolly gets pitted on the front end. I also don't like my vehicle sitting in the elements or having to be in the elements hooking up although it takes very little time. But that doesn't accomplish the motorcycle and I would hate to have my bike in the elements and lack of security issues.

It cost me about $4,000 to set my Denali up to tow 4 wheels down and to buy the tow bar, locks, auxiliary brake ect; trailer with hitch, equalizer bar ect was about $10,000. I have total flexibility, less wear and tear on my vehicles, and peace of mind because my trailer has torsion axles and heavy duty brakes so I am not using my vehicle brakes as I did towing 4 down.

If your coach will handle the weight I would go for the enclosed trailer, I would also purchase a tongue scale to check your tongue weight as that is very important.

As I said before, a lot of good information on towing enclosed trailers if you search it. Good luck with your decision, you will need to evaluate the pros/cons and decide what fits you best.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
That is the finest 1/72 scale remote control model of an Entegra Cornerstone I have ever seen! That is the only thing that explains the proportions attached to a 24" Stacker. Then again, maybe you are under delivering expectations?

LOL...I couldn't resist. My bad.

I'm assuming you have a 24' Stacker instead of a 24" stacker.
\

Drunk again......guess I should fix that.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig N Deb View Post
Wow alot of responses and opinions!
Let's see....first off my coach is rated to haul 10,000 lbs. and I feel like it will be no problem for the "HOGNEST" to haul an enclosed trailer with our Harley's or our Explorer.
I am not worried about value after custom paint or where to park it because I have towed my whole life with very large trailers and there is always somewhere to park it. In a pull through site I would simply use it as my garage.
I truly appreciate your thoughts. Thank You guys!!
Plus, you dont have to paint the trailer. I just had custom vinyl graphics made for my race car trailer to match my MH graphics. $800 for them to do the design work and create the full-side graphics and a smaller set for the rear door on a 24' trailer. They're a perfect match and look great. If you ever decide to sell the trailer you can take the graphics off in a couple of hours using a heat gun.

If you get an aluminum enclosed trailer, like a Featherlight, they only weigh a little more than a steel open trailer.