Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It depends on the vehicle. One of my vehicles I can open the door easily and get out, another vehicle the door hits on the trailer wheel well on the inside, so I must park it as close to passenger fender well in order to get the door open. I also have an "escape door" on drivers side so it allows me to open the door further and makes everything much easier.

On my Escalade I lay rear seat down and simply crawl through and go out the rear hatch as it is the easiest. As I age I am sure I will need to put a winch in the front of the trailer to winch the vehicle in as I may not be as agile.

Most difficult thing about the trailer I have experienced is securing the vehicle in the trailer until I use the following method.

I have found the easiest and MOST secure method on the Escalade is to put the straps through the wheel with a rag between the wheel and strap so I don't scratch my chrome wheels. I have bought various tire bonnets and there isn't enough clearance for me to get them locked on to the 'e' track on the front passenger side tire on the back of the tire. I also don't like using the tow hooks or trailer hitch as it pulls the suspension of the vehicle down and the straps loosen as I travel.

I had the GM at my local Harley shop show me a great method of securing my Road Glide in the nose. I have a Condor motorcycle wheel chock, then I put a rag over each front axle between the forks and wheel, I use ratchet strap that Harley ships the motorcycle from Factory to Dealer and tighten them down. On the rear of the bike I go through the wheel on each side with a rag between strap and wheel and secure the rear from side to side movement. This is by far the best method I have used. Watch where your valve stems are located.

I also have torsion axles and the trailer rides very smooth. I tested it with a closed box knife and after 400+ miles the box knife didn't move 2".
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #72

if you want to use tire bonnets with a low vehicle look at Mac's tie downs - they ahve a roller system that goes in the e-track that allows the bonnets to be pulled straight down and then under a roller to the ratchet mechanism - also gets the ratchet out from under the front of the vehicle.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #73

Trailers are good IF you are going to haul motorcycles or other toys, but for hauling a automobile, I would rather tow the auto on all four wheels. I belong to several RV camp grounds as a platinum member, and I know that in some camp grounds it is almost impossible to park a trailer and a big coach in the same spot. Some spots you have to back into them and barely have room in front of the coach for your toad.
RayChez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #74

Country Coach Owners Club
If you're going to places with big parking lots get a trailer. But you'll find you'll be limited on your choices of RV parks, and forget most Federal State and Local CGs. If parking the trailer is not and issue in your plans go for it.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have towed with tow dolly, 4 wheels down, and with trailer for 2+years. I have never had to unhook my trailer to park but once (last week in Sturgis) and the campground parked my trailer for me with access to utilize the trailer as a garage for the 3 Harley's I had with me.

I prefer to have the option for 4 wheels down and the trailer, unfortunately, I don't currently own a vehicle capable of 4 wheels down, but hopefully will have one soon.

There are compromises to all the methods that I have used, but you have to determine which method satisfies most of your needs.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #76

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I have towed with tow dolly, 4 wheels down, and with trailer for 2+years. I have never had to unhook my trailer to park but once (last week in Sturgis) and the campground parked my trailer for me
During the last 2 years while pulling your trailer did you have to pay any extra campground fees for storing your trailer separately?
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #77

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITFISH View Post
O.K. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but how do you get in and out of the car after it is in the trailer?
Ya climb out the window. Some trailers have a large door on the left side but I haven't seen many. Any thing you put in a trailer should have the doors welded shut anyway LOL, jk. When I go out for "track days" where there are "door slammers" they have a wench in the nose of the trailer, and a long cable with the controls on it. just walk along side the car steering it through the open window.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
During the last 2 years while pulling your trailer did you have to pay any extra campground fees for storing your trailer separately?
I have not had to pay any extra fees. Even in the days of my tow dolly the campgrounds would store my tow dolly for no charge.

Most of the negatives I hear about trailering I assume is coming from people that have a preconceived perception and haven't actually trailered, but I could be wrong.

There are drawbacks, but for me the flexibility of taking any of my 5 vehicles in the family, combination for the Harley and a vehicle, clean vehicles when I arrive at my destination, secure method of hauling my toad (I have had people pull pin on bike carrier, loosen clamps on bikes and lost them on the interstate or frontage road after spending a night)extra sleeping capacity with very nice Intex air mattress for NASCAR or Hunting weekends, far outweigh the inconvenience.

The only real inconvenience to me is taking my coach in for service and not having the capability for 4 wheels down, but I try to do all my service (preventative maintenance) once per year so it minimizes this issue.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #79

Entegra Owners Club
Makes sense to me -- since I am stuck with the type of toad vehicle I have.

Curt
Old 08-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
I have been using an open trailer for the last 9 years and over 60,000 miles. Last year I got a 4 down towable car and have towed 4-down for about 7000 miles so far. I have had to disconnect the trailer twice in all that time and one I knew about in advance. I have only used a government campground once and didn't have any problem with leaving the trailer attached (and neither did the 5 other similarly equipped MH's in out group).

Hands down, I rather tow the trailer, I can take any vehicle that fits on the trailer, no wear on the towed vehicle, I can back up, I can turn sharper, I really do not notice the extra weight, it pulls easier on flat ground, and did I mention I can back up... If towing 4-down and something breaks in the towed vehicle it's not a problem if you have a trailer, just drag it up on the trailer and go home (or wherever...).

Trailers have their own issues, most of which are the tires. But maintenance is very inexpensive if you start with the right trailer and do a do a few simple things to start with.

As for an enclosed trailer I don't see the additional cost and hassle outweighing the advantage of the added security and keeping vehicle clearer. But then there could be other reasons.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDInewguy View Post
Congrats on the trailer!

One piece of advice -- have a good jack and TWO spare tires in the trailer. My last trip I lost two tires - both on the same side and had NO idea. I also suggest you look at a tire pressure system for the coach and trailer. I lost one tire and the second was overloaded and went too... so I was left with only about a 12" steel rim and the brake drum. (I was beginning to wonder what that thump-thump-thump sound was...)

!
Wow this sounding my last trip. 40' with 25' enclosed. 3 trailer tires and one cracked rim (weld started to leak air). Two year old tires and coincidentally weighed trailer before, so well under weight and tires over capacity of axles.

Next trip I'm buying new tires before trip. Would have been easier. Fortunately found all at rest stops where I do a well being check of these kinds of things. Tread just started to unzip. Good thing I had two spares on board.
One thing I found helpful, at the Harley factory tour they let us keep our high vis orange vests which came in quite helpful while changing tires or any other out of bus experience.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #82

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I have been using an open trailer for the last 9 years and over 60,000 miles. Last year I got a 4 down towable car and have towed 4-down for about 7000 miles so far. I have had to disconnect the trailer twice in all that time and one I knew about in advance. I have only used a government campground once and didn't have any problem with leaving the trailer attached (and neither did the 5 other similarly equipped MH's in out group).

Hands down, I rather tow the trailer, I can take any vehicle that fits on the trailer, no wear on the towed vehicle, I can back up, I can turn sharper, I really do not notice the extra weight, it pulls easier on flat ground, and did I mention I can back up... If towing 4-down and something breaks in the towed vehicle it's not a problem if you have a trailer, just drag it up on the trailer and go home (or wherever...).

Trailers have their own issues, most of which are the tires. But maintenance is very inexpensive if you start with the right trailer and do a do a few simple things to start with.

As for an enclosed trailer I don't see the additional cost and hassle outweighing the advantage of the added security and keeping vehicle clearer. But then there could be other reasons.
Dennis

Can you tell me what kind of trailer you have and how much might cost to get one?

Curt
Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #83

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post

Hey Dennis ... I agree with you on towing on/in a trailer. We tow our VW Tiguan on an open trailer as we can't tow this vehicle 4 down. In our travels over the last 3 years - about 6,500 miles, we only *had* to disconnect the trailer once so that we could get into our spot -- and that particular day was A day of travel …and backing up! We had to backup a couple of times that day with the trailer attached. Once with a line of not-so-happy cars behind us!

Did I mention that when towing on a trailer, you can back up?
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #84

Thanks everyone for all the input and opinions on this issue .... As we continue to plan for our jump to FT, this has obviously been a question ... and tho my first thought was just doing a full width 24' enclosed to carry our car and have a mini version of the garage in the nose with tools and equipment. As we have looked at the MH requirements, this is the area where storage would be a concern .... An enclosed would resolve that for us. Am not locked in to any solution at this point ... it would appear there could certainly be a "leaning" taking place here ....

thanks again everyone !!!

hal
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote