Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
I have bought 7 Rv's all brand new. From truck camper to diesel pushers. I don't want anything someone else farted in the seat!

Ps: I apply this to cars also
And you never use a public restroom? That must hurt.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
And you never use a public restroom? That must hurt.
That seat has a hole in it and I am not buying those

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #17

thread took a funny turn
Old 03-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #18

Here is an interesting example. Currently for sale on RV Trader

2013 Excursion 33d with 11,000 miles on it. 123k Used
2014 Excursion 33d NEW 133k or
2015 Excursion 33d NEW 209k

I would go with the 2014 new for 10k more than the 2013 used in my opinion. I am a firm believer in traveling to get the best deal.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #19
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a budget for new, so buy used. A little bit of Lysol will clean that toilet seat just fine. :-)

I can purchase a mid life (1/2 its useful life) for well under 1/5 - 1/8 the original price.

The buyer needs to be a lot more educated and experienced on what they are looking at or they can end up with a money pit.

Forums like this can help potential buyers get some of the information they need to make informed decisions.

Basically, when I buy I look at the MH as two separate items, the truck, and the house

The truck chassis needs to be dependable, with a good history (Not a lot of car fax on MH, but check anyway). The design needs a good track record (one of the few advantages of used vs new), It needs to be in good shape. Used, but not abused.

I look for "good bones"

The house needs to be complete and functional, everything works, no damage, and no water damage. Operate everything

Suggestions -

Make sure the floorplan will meet your needs. You need to be happy with it.

Buy in the fall /early winter, this seems to warrant lowest prices when there is almost no demand, and potential sellers are facing winterization and storage.

Low miles can be as bad as high miles. dryrot is almost as bad as worn out miles Miliage will determine what needs to be looked at closly.

Its not going to be perfect,

Do not get emotionally attached until its in your driveway. Be prepared to walk from the deal if everything doesn't fall into place.

Be prepared to bring all preventative maintenance up to date, this may include new tires.

Cash talks. The sellors goal is to maximize price. Your goal should be max MH for min price.

I recently purchased a 2001 Mirada with 55k miles, very good shape, for $13k. All the maintenance is up to date, new tires installed by the seller. I should be able to put 100k miles on it trouble free over the next 5-7 years.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Imagine if "Everyone" bought new...........not one person in the world bought used.........What would happen?
Old 03-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Imagine if "Everyone" bought new...........not one person in the world bought used.........What would happen?
There would be a shortage of units, the employment in indiana would boom and someplace there would be a HUGE junk yard!
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 03-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Or you could check out my thread:
'09 Magna, dropped valve or bad injector
Still waiting for Cummins to fix it and the cost is estimated at $29,000 with Cummins picking up about $10,000 as a good will adjustment since it's out of warranty.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Or you could check out my thread:
'09 Magna, dropped valve or bad injector
Still waiting for Cummins to fix it and the cost is estimated at $29,000 with Cummins picking up about $10,000 as a good will adjustment since it's out of warranty.
The repair costs always scared me when we had our diesel pusher. That is certainly one thing I appreciate about the Ford V10 in present RV.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 03-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
The repair costs always scared me when we had our diesel pusher. That is certainly one thing I appreciate about the Ford V10 in present RV.
You would not like the cost of that V-10 if it scattered and had to be pulled......... Have to come out the bottom I think..........
Anything man made can fail at any given time............Mr D , got dealt a bad hand
Old 03-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
You would not like the cost of that V-10 if it scattered and had to be pulled......... Have to come out the bottom I think..........
Anything man made can fail at any given time............Mr D , got dealt a bad hand
I would not like the cost of anything that scattered an engine but I guarantee I can get that v10 worked on in almost any town, cummins...not so much.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 03-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I would not like the cost of anything that scattered an engine but I guarantee I can get that v10 worked on in almost any town, cummins...not so much.
Cummins sells in approximately 190 countries and territories through a network of more than 600 company-owned and independent distributors and approximately 6,000 dealers.
Will "Any" Ford dealer work on your Coach?(Car & truck dealer) or does it have to be a dealer for the bigger/heavier trucks?
Old 03-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
We buy new for a number of reasons:

1) Because we want to. No rationalization, we just wanted to.

2) Because it is our money and we choose what we spend it on. Some may like premium whiskies, smoking, lobster, dining out, movies, designer clothes, etc. We wanted a new RV.

3) Because we got to pick the colors and accessories. We did not have to search countless units trying to find the combination we had decided fitted our wants. Finding the perfect used could take several or more years and then you may have to make compromises.

4) Because there is a warranty. May not be worth much but it gives us Peace of Mind.

5) Because there will only be 'depreciation' loss when we sell it. The loss we pay through 'depreciation' is a charge for use. We all pay to possess and use our possessions. It is on a sliding rather than a linear scale which we accept. There is no rational reason that a new unit should age faster than an older unit other than marketing. As a matter of interest an older unit will age faster than a new unit if not maintained.

Too often the proponents of used will quote the difference between the MSRP and the current price rather than the actual purchase price for the unit in order to show a substantial savings. A number of folks have claimed they were able to purchase new at or near the same price as a comparable used.

6) We know how the unit was driven and utilized. We know if it was driven over curbs, got stuck and was towed, driven without enough coolant and overheated, had puppy accidents on the rugs, etc. We will put nicks and scrapes in but they will be ours.

We expect to sell our unit in the future. We think that whoever buys it will get a good, well cared for unit. We will try to maintain it like they would like to get it, but they will get our unit in whatever condition it is when we sell it.

Regardless of whether you buy new or used we should all be out there doing the thing we have as a common interest. Living in an RV and enjoying the RV way of seeing the many sights and attractions that abound in our great country.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:57 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Cummins sells in approximately 190 countries and territories through a network of more than 600 company-owned and independent distributors and approximately 6,000 dealers.
Will "Any" Ford dealer work on your Coach?(Car & truck dealer) or does it have to be a dealer for the bigger/heavier trucks?
The V10 are used in a lot of the trucks, I "personally" feel better with my options of getting it repaired compared to the Cummins I did not. If you are looking to start an argument over which is best you came to the wrong place. I voiced my opinion.

2014 Honda CRV Toad