Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
The V10 are used in a lot of the trucks, I "personally" feel better with my options of getting it repaired compared to the Cummins I did not. If you are looking to start an argument over which is best you came to the wrong place. I voiced my opinion.
I am sorry you look at peoples questions like that I asked a simple question is all.............Your opinion is respected I was just wondering if any Ford dealer would service a Coach......? No need to reply. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 02:08 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am sorry you look at peoples questions like that I asked a simple question is all.............Your opinion is respected I was just wondering if any Ford dealer would service a Coach......? No need to reply. Thanks
Lol, I took it wrong my bad. Whether any would I do not know but do believe if it was engine or transmission specific depending on the severity of the issue that I could. Even my local garage in Podunk ohio will work on it.

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
BTW: We usually buy new, but the Magna was soooo loaded and we did get a decent price on it (not counting the engine repair)!
Magna was priced $50,000 under NADA retail and we got it for less than that. I'm sure we'll enjoy it after it's fixed and we rebuild the savings account!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
We buy used for one reason, because we have to, to get the level of coach that we want We wanted a 2015 Dutch Star, absolutely loved everything about the 4369, but the best price I could find anywhere in the country was 100K more than we paid for our MADP. I visited every dealer within driving distance and communicated with every dealer I could find with a 4369. Our MADP was already at our max budget.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #33

I'd guarantee that V10 could be replaced for less than half of that 19k. Stay away from the dealship and find a independent, you'll pay less and get better quality work.

Motorhomes aren't a big enough thrill for me to justify loosing 20-30% the minute I drive them off the lot. But start talking quads and snowmobiles and I'm more than happy to throw my money away To each his own...
Old 03-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #34

I'm totally digging all the "you lose 20-30% the moment you drive it off the lot" stuff.

Anyone of you care to run the book price on my 2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4347?

I would like to see what you come up with vs what surprise I found vs what I paid new.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another way to look at it.
I bought my 2000 HR diesel in 2011 for 48k. I put some money in it to live fulltime. If it blew an engine like that isx, I'd be between a rock and a hard place.
What I thought was a good deal could be a disaster. It was too old for a extended warranty, and I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Now 3.5 years later, not one minutes problem. Yes stuff broke, we fixed it, but nothing that left us stuck.
The point being, buy new, buy used. There is no right answer for everyone, only the right answer for you.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
The point being, buy new, buy used. There is no right answer for everyone, only the right answer for you.
You're right, but that point gets lost on the internet way to often.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We couldn't afford to buy new so went used and are making it nicer. Whatever it takes to make the good times happen.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
We couldn't afford to buy new so went used and are making it nicer. Whatever it takes to make the good times happen.
And there ain't nothing wrong with that!
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 PM   #39

I bought a used 2002 Knight 36PST with 42800 miles on it. I think I got fairly good deal, I am happy anyway. I know I am going to have to replace all 6 tires, I've already done some maintenance things as there were no records. I am sure the trailing arms haven't been looked at but I didn't know anything about that till I started reading all the IRV posts. But all in all I think I can spend some money and have a good coach that should last me a pretty good while as I am not retired yet so it won't get used but maybe 6 or so weeks out of the year. Long weekend trips, one 2 week vacation to Oshkosh, and some one day lake trips and the like. But the most troubling part is why people don't fix things. They don't even make an attempt. Fix the little things and do it right, as soon as it needs it and they don't pile up. From what records I did find in the owners manual box with all the appliance manuals and such, I figure I am maybe the 4th owner. The last owner bought it in 2011 and traded it in the first part of January 15 and I bought it about 3 weeks ago from a small time dealer in Dallas, TX. I think he knew less about it than I did and this is my first MH. But, I am prepared to spend some money and bring ALL the service up to date, new tires, and whatever other repairs it needs and make it mine. I can do 95% of it myself anyway, I do have all the wiring diagrams in a big book that was with the MH, so that will help too. So, you pros be ready for lots more questions from this newbie.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:10 PM   #40

Gordon and PDR John...X2 on both of your comments, it's not right or wrong some of us have valid reasons for buying new, just like some do for buying used.

I bought new for a lot of the same reasons Gordon did and it's just the way we decided to spend our money.

And PDR John is right where some of you come up with the depreciation value is crazy. We bought ours NEW for $3000 LESS than two different dealers were selling the USED 2013 model for. The 2013 doesn't have the new body style or some of the options we have. Both dealers agreed that we were able to get a better deal new, and wouldn't budge on their price. They both said someone, most likely who didn't do their homework, would buy them at that price.

And the depreciation varies by model and manufacturer, so the poster who said he could buy a "mid life" MH for 1/5-1/8 of the original price could only be referring to MSRP. Industry wide they say a MH is probably a 20 year vehicle, some could argue a little longer but not much, and it would have to be very well taken care of. The biggest problem in age would be the upgrades they don't have, body style changes, expensive repairs that just time out, and the cost to improve to the current level if wanted. So let's say 10 years is half life, I would jump at a Newmar same as mine in the 2004 range if I could buy it for $15-$24k...you won't find it, at least not without needing repairs that would make up the difference. Depreciation is way over rated and most people end up upside down because they didn't put enough money down in the first place.

I was talking to my dealer about getting a set up for a Toad. We were talking about MH's in general and he told me he could buy mine for what I paid and give me a 28% discount on a new Ventanna. So my depreciation or loss would only be the tax and license. And like said you won't feel any depreciation if you love the MH you bought, and don't intend to sell. We like ours because we bought what best fit our needs and plan on keeping it a long time, we will most likely give it to our kids if/when we decide to get something else.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I had this discussion many times around the camp fire..

lets say you find a clean used coach....1-2-3-years old...

first thing you do is have it serviced..100 miles later it blows up ..

29,000 miles....still under warranty....warranty void because no service record...
So you have the service records, and it blows up 1 mile out of warranty, and they tell you it is expired, is that any different?
I would agree with your analogy except most motors and tranny's, even if abused and no serviced will last well past the warranty.
Anything that moves is subject to wear and tear, and breakage, new or used. Look at some of the forum posts here where folks bought new, and just outside of warranty they had a major mechanical issue and ended up paying for it out of pocket. I have bought new and used, and IMHO the used spent less time in the garage, seems the bugs were worked out by the previous owner.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:34 PM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
I'm totally digging all the "you lose 20-30% the moment you drive it off the lot" stuff.

Anyone of you care to run the book price on my 2013 Newmar Dutch Star 4347?

I would like to see what you come up with vs what surprise I found vs what I paid new.

Well here's what I found just for conversation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot006.png
Views:	99
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	90014  
Attached Images

1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote