Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 07:42 AM   #71

Ford Super Duty Owner
PLEASE - PLEASE continue to buy new. Otherwise this limits my choices when I buy used.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:09 AM   #72
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I buy used cause that's what I can afford. Am I jealous of those that can buy new? Certainly not. Would I buy new if I could afford it? Probably not. I don't like depreciation on recreational vehicles. I learned that on buying a new boat.
RVing for me is a recreacational. I don't full time so having a nice new RV sitting in my driveway makes no sense. Use divided by depreciation doesn't make sense.
I don't keep my coaches long enough to get the value out of new.

However, I buy all my personal vehicles new. I like the warranty.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:32 AM   #73

why does it have to be about value or deprecation ...

why can't it be about I'm 62 years old and busted my butt for my whole
and wanna buy a new one...

why can't it be about I made some smart investments that are pay'n back while I'm out play'n in my new motorhome

I don't Gamble,hunt, fish, golf or play bingo..learned to fix most my stuff my self....

we had to add a room on our house that's a closet for my wifes clothes,,,
she tells me all the time how she just save me 50% off retail...

who cares
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:36 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Drive a brand new coach off the dealer's lot.. Pause just long enough to remove the sticker from the window and pull into a 2nd dealer's lot.. Ask him what it is worth...on a tade up to a larger coach.

Reason to buy used will be the reply.
I've done it and got more than I paid.... is that what you mean???

oh,.. and everone keep buy'n my trade in's so I can get the most out of them...
Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonynalli View Post
Can't say I agree with the fuzzy logic. Allow me to make some adjustments. First off, commonly found RV depreciation tables suggest an 8 year old RV's annual depreciation has slowed to about 3%, not the 10% you factor. Also, the $18,000 spent on upgrades was just that - upgrades, not items to equalize the considered assets.

If you look at my mod list, many of the items were things any first-time RVer would need anyway. I'll admit that some things might not have been necessary with a newer RV, such as the 47" TV to replace a very old 27". And while the 2014 did come with an inverter and the 2007 did not, my 2007 now has a 2800W unit vs the 1800W one included in the 2014 - so I may or may not have done that upgrade.

Things like the Trav'ler dish and DirecTV receivers would be purchased regardless of the RV selected. Neither unit was originally equipped with solar panels or air springs, so those were also mods that were going to be done regardless.

Additionally, the mods shouldn't be worked into a "depreciation" calculation since it's not an uncontrolled loss of value (asset leakage) but rather voluntarily spent money (exchanged for a product or service).

So to adjust your numbers. $60,000 on the purchase of the 2007 (not $65,000) x 3% is $1,800 for depreciation. And I'll consider a quarter of the mods (using my own fuzzy logic) to be spent toward "equalization", so $4,500. That's a total of $6,300, therefore, 6300/60000=10.5%.

That figure is much better than yours and overall not bad I think. Certainly acceptable to me.

Anthony
who cares if you bought what you want what it's worth...

this is the same thing that almost whipped out the USA... everone couldn't stand having 3 - 400k equity in their homes... so they went and refinanced everything.... then they couldn't stand owning a home that was worth less than what they owed so they walked away from the loans....

none of them sold the boats , sand toys, and rv's to buy their loans down...

no they went right out and got new loans

so maybe I should just short sell when I don't wanna take a loss on a purchase...
Old 03-31-2015, 08:52 AM   #76

two reasons to buy an RV... cause you want to, and cause you can

doesn't have to make sense to anybody but you

there's a gang of folks that worry about what I do....and always wanna know why...

I always say "cause I want to and cause I can"

the rest is no bodys business...
Old 03-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonynalli View Post
Can't say I agree with the fuzzy logic. Allow me to make some adjustments. First off, commonly found RV depreciation tables suggest an 8 year old RV's annual depreciation has slowed to about 3%, not the 10% you factor. Also, the $18,000 spent on upgrades was just that - upgrades, not items to equalize the considered assets.

If you look at my mod list, many of the items were things any first-time RVer would need anyway. I'll admit that some things might not have been necessary with a newer RV, such as the 47" TV to replace a very old 27". And while the 2014 did come with an inverter and the 2007 did not, my 2007 now has a 2800W unit vs the 1800W one included in the 2014 - so I may or may not have done that upgrade.

Things like the Trav'ler dish and DirecTV receivers would be purchased regardless of the RV selected. Neither unit was originally equipped with solar panels or air springs, so those were also mods that were going to be done regardless.

Additionally, the mods shouldn't be worked into a "depreciation" calculation since it's not an uncontrolled loss of value (asset leakage) but rather voluntarily spent money (exchanged for a product or service).

So to adjust your numbers. $60,000 on the purchase of the 2007 (not $65,000) x 3% is $1,800 for depreciation. And I'll consider a quarter of the mods (using my own fuzzy logic) to be spent toward "equalization", so $4,500. That's a total of $6,300, therefore, 6300/60000=10.5%.

That figure is much better than yours and overall not bad I think. Certainly acceptable to me.

Anthony
We could discuss a number of points but the results would not matter. You have a mighty fine unit that you will enjoy regardless of how the numbers are manipulated. The unit fits your needs and is within your comfort level of expenditure.

We will not know what depreciation you (or any of us) will experience until we are done with the unit and have successfully sold it. Depreciation like MSRP is an elusive number that can be used for approximation only.

In the interim I hope you have great travels and experiences.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I had this discussion many times around the camp fire..

lets say you find a clean used coach....1-2-3-years old...

first thing you do is have it serviced..100 miles later it blows up ..

29,000 miles....still under warranty....warranty void because no service record...
so getting back to the thread.....

has anyone ever had this happen???
Old 03-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We will not know what depreciation you (or any of us) will experience until we are done with the unit and have successfully sold it. Depreciation like MSRP is an elusive number that can be used for approximation only.
This is why I posted my coaches book "value", it completely debunks the 30% depreciation that keeps getting posted. People keep stating it, but refuse to acknowledge the real life numbers.

anthonynalli did just like us, we set our numbers and found what would give us the most for those numbers. Us it turned out new, them it turned out used. We're both happy with what we got.

Anythings true value only becomes known at the time it sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
so getting back to the thread.....

has anyone ever had this happen???

Right now the big thread involving this is by MrD: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/upda...me-239649.html
Old 03-31-2015, 09:45 AM   #80

I don't care what its worth or cost'..
I looking for a 20'r to drive around town that pops out to a 40'r on the freeway..and extends to 65'r when I park it

there is no comparing old to new...

motorhomes are simple...more money buys newer and more
Old 03-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #81

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
two reasons to buy an RV... cause you want to, and cause you can
Exactly, And if you want to buy new, go for it, if you don't, that's OK also.

But I believe people are explaining their logic behind their decisions, and all the logic is sound, and its their logic.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:07 PM   #82

you just cannot fined new for $5000 and under.... I have looked...
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #83

I think more people should buy new, but should pay cash or take out short term loans only. One of the biggest issues we had when looking at 10 year old coaches was that people were often 10-20 thousand dollars upside down on them (yes, indeed, even after 10 years of payments!).

Steve
Old 03-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I think more people should buy new, but should pay cash or take out short term loans only. One of the biggest issues we had when looking at 10 year old coaches was that people were often 10-20 thousand dollars upside down on them (yes, indeed, even after 10 years of payments!).

Steve
Sounds a lot like renting.