Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #1

Why I don't like to buy used..right or wrong???

I had this discussion many times around the camp fire..

lets say you find a clean used coach....1-2-3-years old...

first thing you do is have it serviced..100 miles later it blows up ..

29,000 miles....still under warranty....warranty void because no service record...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #2

So don't buy a used MH if the seller cannot provide a service record.

AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There is always a risk buying used. Always.
There is always a risk buying new. Always.
Both can have issues.

The risk buying used is you have to pay for repairs. The hope is you saved more than those repairs cost.
In your example the motor blew up.
If you bought it used and saved $100,000 your still money ahead.
If you bought it new it's still blown, but they will fix it.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #4

The warranty isn't void without a service record. Now, if the manufacturer claims the failure is because of a lack of service, a service history is useful. Within the warranty period there's not a lot of service required. Oil and filters are about the most you need to do for the most part.

So before buying require an oil analysis if you are deeply concerned that the engine's already be run out of oil, or that it never got changed until right before selling it.

Most 3 year old coaches have nowhere near 29,000 miles on them.

And the good news is, what you'd save on a 3 year old coach will pay for the engine anyway, so you are still ahead a little in the worst case.

I'd be way more worried about a loose air filter straight from new that dusts the engine inside that first year of ownership (how many people check that their inlet system is sealed properly?) and that you'd never be able to prove the filter didn't come loose from your use of the coach, so you'd have paid for a new coach, taken the giant depreciation hit, AND have to replace an engine.

Steve
Old 03-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We bought one of those slightly used moho's, and that was over 10 years ago. Still have not blown the engine. Matter of fact, besides all of the normal maintenance stuff, we have only repaired stuff that we broke.

With that being said, I read one of your posts that intrigued me. You mentioned how many moho's you have bought and sold recently, and I was amazed. If I had half of your money, I would keep buying moho's until I found the perfect one!

We have purchased a brand new 5th wheel in the past, and had no problems with it. The only other moho we purchased branny new was a Thor class-C that was never right, always needing small things fixed, the kind of stuff that drove me crazy!

I would love to buy a brand new DP loaded to the gills with every bell and whistle, but I just cannot justify the expense. Soon, but not yet.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
The warranty isn't void without a service record. Now, if the manufacturer claims the failure is because of a lack of service, a service history is useful. Within the warranty period there's not a lot of service required. Oil and filters are about the most you need to do for the most part.

So before buying require an oil analysis if you are deeply concerned that the engine's already be run out of oil, or that it never got changed until right before selling it.

Most 3 year old coaches have nowhere near 29,000 miles on them.

And the good news is, what you'd save on a 3 year old coach will pay for the engine anyway, so you are still ahead a little in the worst case.

I'd be way more worried about a loose air filter straight from new that dusts the engine inside that first year of ownership (how many people check that their inlet system is sealed properly?) and that you'd never be able to prove the filter didn't come loose from your use of the coach, so you'd have paid for a new coach, taken the giant depreciation hit, AND have to replace an engine.

Steve
I used to run them to the high 20s each year.. then dump them
always had the oil changed at a fast type lube where it was recorded...
Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am used buyer. I can't afford the new coach depreciation. Buy a coach for $300,000, drive it out of the dealers and now it is a used coach worth $200,000.That is a BIG hit.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
We bought one of those slightly used moho's, and that was over 10 years ago. Still have not blown the engine. Matter of fact, besides all of the normal maintenance stuff, we have only repaired stuff that we broke.

With that being said, I read one of your posts that intrigued me. You mentioned how many moho's you have bought and sold recently, and I was amazed. If I had half of your money, I would keep buying moho's until I found the perfect one!

We have purchased a brand new 5th wheel in the past, and had no problems with it. The only other moho we purchased branny new was a Thor class-C that was never right, always needing small things fixed, the kind of stuff that drove me crazy!

I would love to buy a brand new DP loaded to the gills with every bell and whistle, but I just cannot justify the expense. Soon, but not yet.

Bruce
well lets further intrigue you with the rest of the story...

we owned a custom vacation home in havasu.. got tired of going there all the time

we had a 2013 winnabago....26'r... told my wife I would buy her a bigger motorhome (I'm happy with a van with a bed in it)

so we traded in the 26'r and bought the FR3... drove it 60 miles and the front bearing went and almost lost the wheel...after 30 days and no repair...mike thompsons took it back and gave us the winnabago.. tribute...went 160 miles and the wheel bearing started to go...

got it fixed.... decided we didn't trust ford and traded it in on a used 05 journey. 350hp ..

the coach was 34' but was just long enough that we couldn't close or gate..(needs to be closed to keep the dog in)

so we called conejo rv and traded back... cost a few bucks.. but less than what it would have cost to reat it for a week..

now we have the tribute back...

wheel bearings go again...

that's it...done with ford and traded in on the 33d excursion...

after being a gas coach owner, drove F.E.dragsters, so motor noise doesn't bother me.

but getting used to how to drive a DP was my hold back..

so I would have already got rid of it...

now , glad I kept it... just drives different... works great... really

so there you go
Old 03-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
I am used buyer. I can't afford the new coach depreciation. Buy a coach for $300,000, drive it out of the dealers and now it is a used coach worth $200,000.That is a BIG hit.
I bought mine new for 135k and they gave me 75 k trade for the winnabago...no baller here
Old 03-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post
So don't buy a used MH if the seller cannot provide a service record.
noted....
also

make sure that his name is on the title if you are gonnna believe a word he says...
Old 03-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All I can say is, WOW, I have been very lucky.

Keep us posted on your next few moho's, I am learning a lot from your adventures. Hearing you talk about your drag racing days makes sense now!

BTW, nice boat, too.

Bruce
Old 03-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
I have bought 7 Rv's all brand new. From truck camper to diesel pushers. I don't want anything someone else farted in the seat!

Ps: I apply this to cars also
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
I have bought 7 Rv's all brand new. From truck camper to diesel pushers. I don't want anything someone else farted in the seat!
Then you better never let me drive your moho. . . . .

Or your cars. . .

Bruce
Old 03-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Then you better never let me drive your moho. . . . .

Or your cars. . .

Bruce
I don't intend too!

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote