Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Why I have a Steer Safe on My Motor Home

Here is a news report and Just another reason I installed a Steer Safe on my motor home. A Steer Safe or another type of steering control could have prevented this.
Mel_B

Florida man dies after motorhome tire blows, veers off I-95

A Florida man was killed on Interstate 95 on Saturday afternoon, after his motorhome ran off the roadway and struck several trees, according to the South Carolina Highway Patrol.

The Man from Port St. Lucie, Florida, died on the scene, according to Clarendon County Deputy Coroner Bucky Mock. The cause of death is pending, and an autopsy is scheduled for Monday morning, Mock said.

The Man was traveling north on I-95, near the 105 mile marker, when the left front tire of his 2002 Holiday Rambler Motorhome blew out, causing the vehicle to run off the roadway and into several trees, according to South Carolina Highway Patrol Lance Corporal Matt Southern.

The incident occurred at 4:51 p.m.

The driver was wearing a seat belt and was entrapped in the vehicle, Southern said.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #2

Do you know that the wrecked MH didn't have a Steer Safe ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Do you know that the wrecked MH didn't have a Steer Safe ?
No I don't know, But I am willing to bet he did not have one or any other device to keep control when or if you have a blow out. I have had a Front tire blow out at 65 MPH and was lucky. I have friends that were not so lucky and suffered injuries and damage to their motor home. It could have been prevented if they would have had something like a steer safe.
Mel
Old 07-25-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Agree a steering stabilizer provides help in case of a steer tire blow out but do not rely on it completely, the driver must know how to react blow out as well. Proper reaction by the driver combined with the stabilizing force of the steering stabilizer provides the greatest option for a controlled stop.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think you're making a pretty broad statement for a product that is more of a feel good item then the life saver some think. Folks......it's a shock absorber or a set of springs, depending on brand, that adds some resistance to the steering, but won't stop the steering from jerking right or left in a blowout or sudden drop off of a low shoulder.

Buy a steering product to eliminate wind push, wandering or a even a loose front end, but don't bank on it saving your life in a blowout. Be realistic and practice in your mind what you would do in a blowout. Expecting a product to save your life in a blowout is probably more dangerous than the blowout itself.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
It is a safe option that any class A and pusher should have installed.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
At least, with a SAFE-T-PLUS you won't break a finger or a wrist when you do get a front tir blowout !

BTW... did you ever get a front tire blowout ?
I did and thanks to that SAFE-T-PLUS, I managed to bring the mh on the side curb.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think you're making a pretty broad statement for a product that is more of a feel good item then the life saver some think. Folks......it's a shock absorber or a set of springs, depending on brand, that adds some resistance to the steering, but won't stop the steering from jerking right or left in a blowout or sudden drop off of a low shoulder.

Buy a steering product to eliminate wind push, wandering or a even a loose front end, but don't bank on it saving your life in a blowout. Be realistic and practice in your mind what you would do in a blowout. Expecting a product to save your life in a blowout is probably more dangerous than the blowout itself.
A blow out causes the wheel to jerk out of most peoples hands. As the vehicle lurches to one side, drivers typically step on the brakes and over compensate.

A steer safe reduces the jerk substantially, giving the driver time to react and bring the vehicle to a safe stop. The spring re-centers the wheel but what is more important is the shock absorber. The faster the jerk, the more it will damp it.

I think it is an absolute must.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have a steering stabilizer on my coach and I do believe it gives me an advantage.

The point of my post was the steering stabilizer regardless of the brand is an assistive device. By itself it will not save me. It will be my ability or my lack of ability that will in the end determine whether I end on the side of the road safely or in a ditch somewhere.

Do not rely solely on the device. Learn how to react properly to a steer tire blow out and let the stabilizer assist you in controlling your vehicle to safe outcome.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This will aggravate some, but this subject always makes me wonder how so many people know that the steering stabilizer they installed saved them. What evidence does anyone have that their coach would have acted any differently with or without a stabilizer.

EVERY blowout is different. Some are on a curve, some leave you no room to maneuver, some drive perfectly straight, some pull hard, some pull slightly, but enough to drop you off a low shoulder, some blow at 20mph and some blow at 65mph, some blow in wet weather. So please expound on how you knew a steering device saved your life!

Personally, I think people believe these are life savers because of what they paid for them. I installed a Safety Plus on my Diplomat and hated how it drove. It required more driver input and made the drive more stressful at the end of the day. I sold it right away and went with a TruCenter, not for some hope of life saving steering, but for the road crown and wind adjustments you could make.

I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time and I know there is no data out there on blowouts, with and without stabilizers, but I think some are being unrealistic on what these devices do.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:59 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Rvers seem to thing that throwing money at a problem will make it go away. I agree that no two blowouts are the same. I believe that understanding a blowout and how to "drive thru it" is more important.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you don't need one on your car, why do you need it on a M/H? That is why you have power steering.
I have had many front tire blow outs on large trucks, and like said above no two are the same. I can't say that it ever jerked the wheel out of my hands!

If it makes you feel better by all means install one.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:54 AM   #13

I think you could weld the steering straight and if a front tire blows, your turning in that direction.

When a front corner drops, you need to correct for it. If you don't react, your off course.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know the amount of testing necessary to advertise that a product will do what it says they will do. Since I have seen all kinds of items purporting to do this or that and I know they are snake oil my educated guess is almost none.

We have Steer Safe and have had it on two coaches. I wanted better center steering and control in a blow out. I hope I don't need the second part.

What was mentioned was driver abilities. Unless one experiences a sudden gust of wind or tire failure we can't know how we would react. Based on a few scary incidences and as many miles as I have driven both RV's and school buses on all kinds of roads I feel comfortable that I will react in an appropriate manner.

Less than 18 months ago we had what I referred to as, "The Perfect Storm." A gust of wind came from nowhere while surrounded by semi's and other vehicles. It was very quick, severe and with no warning. The steering wheel jerked violently. My reaction time was excellent and was correct. I kept the MH in control with reaction but did not over react.

I'm not expecting any added MOD or steering control device to do my job of properly and safely driving us and the MH. If the added item(s) reduce the severity of a blow out and or wind gusts then it was worth the $$$$. That's all I'm expecting.

I have worked on and been in and around mechanical and electrical equipment very large and small in steel mills around aircraft, radars, welders, lifts, cranes, boats, barges and all kinds of vehicles most of my life. Many, many times I was able to avoid serious accidents relying on those experiences, reaction time, alertness and common sense.

All I'm saying is that I have been tested many, many times under all kinds of circumstances on a variety of dangerous equipment with no serious adverse results. Had I been setting behind a desk or in a board room making corporate decisions I don't believe I'd feel as comfortable behind the wheel of a MH. Those life experiences are invaluable and I'll rely on them to help if or when needed in the future.

TeJay