Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
Thor Owners Club
Just browsed a website showing these rigs off. They look solid. I think in a collision they would do pretty well. The also seem to have a following out there. I would be there will be more older rigs out there with some value then a fiberglass MH.

Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
National RV Owners Club
While we may know something more, there is a hint of self-congratulatory smugness here that I think sort of rubs the wrong way. A Wanderlodge may well be better in a roll over but they are also out of business. It isn't really news that they were well built but you can make similar claims for many different brands including Newell, ForeTravel, Prevost and so on. For those lucky enough to own one and be able to afford one, well done. Looking at the misfortune of someone else and then saying that is why I own item B is kind of like saying "I told you so". I don't think that was the intention but that is the way it plays at least to me. If the OP had a least included some well wishes for those involved, it would have felt better I think. Safety is an issue that is important to all of us and it would be a mistake for anyone to be complacent on the issue by virtue of the make of RV they happen to own. No one is immune and no matter how safe any RV is supposed to be, they could be improved.

1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Let's get away from discussing each other and stay on topic.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #18
The rig that crashed only looks to have rolled a bit more than 90 degrees. Had it rolled more than 270 degrees or more down a steep hill/grade, be it any make or model, I can only see parts and pieces, or fully collapsed living areas at the end of that trip.

Lord, I don't think my HR would have done as well. Who knows.

I would only wish to survive such an event along with anyone else on board...
1999 HR Endeavor 37WDS
Handicapped Lift Equiped
Bad Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
That's scary no matter what you are driving! Main thing is they survived it!
CAT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #20
Country Coach Owners Club
Here's another thought. As the coach rolled and things started to "fail" each failure absorbed more energy till eventually it stopped. If had had a more ridge shell it might have kept rolling causing more damage to those in the container. If you look at the design of modern autos you will find that they have large sacrificial zones (crumple zones) that absorb a tremendous amount of the forces generated in an accident. While the back side of the MH was pretty much toast the passenger compartment was relatively intact. If the MH is properly designed it will have a pretty stout support system around the front passenger compartment, that combined with seat belts share a large part responsibility for the survivable nature of the wreck. Besides if you roll any motor home it's pretty much toast and only good for salvage. So let's be careful out there and park it when it's slick.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #21
On another forum Mr. Hipster said the motorhome that crashed was PURE JUNK.
st687, 97 Foretravel U270
08 Saturn Vue
University of Parris Island class of 66
st687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #22
there are that kind out there.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
As "pumper9x9" stated, newer vehicles are designed to absorb impacts, especially the newer RV's that design a safety cage around the driver and passenger. The older ones that seem more solid, also come to an immediate stop when they impact and send the passengers through the windshield.

There are safety features on that Phaeton that weren't even imagined when that 1983 school bus was built. The RV industry is bouncing back...not because people are buying 1983 school buses, because people are buying new modern rigs that are fun/easy to drive, more comfortable, fuel efficient and more powerful!
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by st687 View Post
On another forum Mr. Hipster said the motorhome that crashed was PURE JUNK.
Well, it certainly is now. I hope those people are OK; that accident looked horrible.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:19 AM   #25
You guys got to be kidding! There is nothing safe about driving these rigs down the road at 60-70 mph! Have any of you ever seem one built, the walls are made paper thin out of aluminium, wood and Filon in one piece front to back with fibre glass caps on the ends, standing 12' or better it's like driving a cereal box down the road. Sure they have added safety and avoidance equipment over the years but it doesn't make much difference in a head on or roll over! They don't break up to absorb energy they break up because thee is no integrity to the structor of them otherwise they would have a roll cage or something inside to stop them from completely being destroyed!

As for the OP statement about that's why he has a WL is no different then saying after hearing about a 100 car pile up on the highway during a snow storm " that's why I don't drive in bad weather" or "why I don't live in tornado alley" or " why I don't drive a smart car or motorcycle".

[moderator edit]
CAT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:34 AM   #26
I had an old Wonderlodge and compare it to an Brinks armored truck. I spoke to an older gentlemen who traveled to Alaska with his more times then he could remember. Point being he ran off the road once and it rolled onto its side. I asked him how much damage did it do? He said they proped him back up on the wheels and he continued onto Alaska with just a mirror broken off. Thats what a Wonderlodge is.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #27
That's what I'm talking about^^^.
Mr. Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #28
I don't know Hipster. Don't know his motives. But Wanderlodges are indeed tanks. Structurally at least as good as Prevost and maybe better. Ever notice that (without naming names) a few very high dollar mfgrs resisted slides and that huge one-piece windshield? Well, there was a reason for that - structural integrity.

2003 Country Coach Magna Haven #6190 Cat C-12
airduds is offline   Reply With Quote