Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why is it so hard to find quality diesel fuel?

As I travel the Eastern half of this country - I am amazed at the wide disparity in diesel fuels. For example: you can fuel up at a Pilot Truck Stop and maybe think you get a decent MPG and performance. However, in no way whatsoever, should you necessarily expect the same results when you next fuel up at a different Pilot station. And Cetane Ratings -Ha, I can't remember the last time I saw a Cetane rating on a pump. The fact that it could be anywhere from 40 to 55 seems like something that is important to knowing the quality of the fuel you are buying. My question to the forum: does anyone know of a brand (Shell, Marathon, Love's Truck stop, Pillot/Flying J, etc) that consistently provides a higher quality and/or Cetane of diesel fuel. The government (such as it is) requires stations to publish and adhere to Octane standards, yet, there seems to be no such requirement for Diesel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #2

There are just so many refineries and the only thing that makes gasoline, and I assume diesel, different from one brand to the other is the additives that they put in. I worked for a Phillips distributor and they got all of their gasoline in thru Diamond Shamrock pipe lines. We sold gasoline and diesel to 5 major brands (Exxon, Conoco Standard etc, and it was all the same generic gasoline, sans the additives. Texaco would bring over their own truck and deliver diesel to their stations.

ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #3

FWIW Diesel blends also vary with the part of the country and time of year. It has to be something that can flow at the normal low temperatures. Add to that any mandated bio mix.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Over the past three years I've bought about 70% of my fuel at chain truck stops- P/FJ, Loves, TA- and the balance at independents or regular gas stations. Through it all I have pretty consistently averaged right around 7.4 mpg. On those tanks where the mpg was noticeably lower, I could always link the fuel use to conditions- most often terrain or wind. On one occasion I got fuel that clogged my fuel filter, but that was at a FJ- in Lodi, ironically- not at a no-name.

So..... if there is a great variation in rating or fuel quality, it would seem I haven't run into it.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with ecurb74. It is true that a 'tank farm' delivers the same gas to everyone - the difference in brands is the additives that are put in the truck as it is loaded. That is why some gasoline's are called "Tier 1". I would think that companies do the same with Diesel. So I guess the question is: what brands consistently put more additives in their fuel to boost Cetane and injector cleaners. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

Tjere are 142 refineries in the US + or - 10 or so I may have missed. As other members have pointed out geographic and seasonal differences to the blends give you variety, however, no much of it. Aggregators who purchased the finished products mix the different products together and then the end distributors polish it off to make it their own blend.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any fuel supplier selling motor fuel to the federal government or state governments must meet minimum specifications. At least that is the way it is in WI. WI Dept. of Agriculture & Consumer Protection have a staff of fuel inspectors taking fuel samples from all fuel retailers in our state. Those samples are taken back to a lab and checked to make sure they meet state standards. If they don't the state shuts down the pumps that don't meet those standards until the retailer can prove with new sampling that it does. I assume most states do something similar.

That being said most of my traveling has been east of the Mississippi River. I average about 7 MPG on diesel towing my toad. Sometimes it is more and other times it is less. The differences can be traced to wind, speed, and driving conditions.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Over the past three years I've bought about 70% of my fuel at chain truck stops- P/FJ, Loves, TA- and the balance at independents or regular gas stations. Through it all I have pretty consistently averaged right around 7.4 mpg. On those tanks where the mpg was noticeably lower, I could always link the fuel use to conditions- most often terrain or wind. On one occasion I got fuel that clogged my fuel filter, but that was at a FJ- in Lodi, ironically- not at a no-name.

So..... if there is a great variation in rating or fuel quality, it would seem I haven't run into it.
Most likely caused by the cleaning effect on your system, by running B20 blend of fuel through an older system.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
As I travel the Eastern half of this country - I am amazed at the wide disparity in diesel fuels. For example: you can fuel up at a Pilot Truck Stop and maybe think you get a decent MPG and performance. However, in no way whatsoever, should you necessarily expect the same results when you next fuel up at a different Pilot station. And Cetane Ratings -Ha, I can't remember the last time I saw a Cetane rating on a pump. The fact that it could be anywhere from 40 to 55 seems like something that is important to knowing the quality of the fuel you are buying. My question to the forum: does anyone know of a brand (Shell, Marathon, Love's Truck stop, Pillot/Flying J, etc) that consistently provides a higher quality and/or Cetane of diesel fuel. The government (such as it is) requires stations to publish and adhere to Octane standards, yet, there seems to be no such requirement for Diesel.
bobkatgifts
I simply fill my tank with whatever diesel fuel is available and drive ....
(have for 14 years).
IMO there is no reason to worry about things you can do nothing about.
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles, (113k mine)
Old 04-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
bobkatgifts
I simply fill my tank with whatever diesel fuel is available and drive ....
(have for 14 years).
IMO there is no reason to worry about things you can do nothing about.
Mel
'96 Safari, 140k miles, (113k mine)
That makes two of us.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #11

Wow,
Never even gave or give much thought to the "Cetane" rating or, any other factors of Diesel fuel. When we need it, we find a place and buy it. Sometimes it's (the purchase of it) driven by cost and sometimes it's by access to the pumps and negotiation of the area due to the length of our rig. So far, in the 4 years and 60,000 miles we've owned this CAT C-7 330HP coach, it's not hiccupped once due to poor fuel or, fuel related problems.

I suppose I'm trusting all the stations/diesel fuel stops too much I guess. I do change the one and only fuel filter we have on a much sooner frequency than is what's called for mainly because we don't put the miles on it that dictates the time frame for the maintenance of it. So, maybe that's my saving grace.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't worry about the diesel, except I try to never buy from a small convenience store. I'm concerned they don't sell enough diesel and the tanks may get contaminated.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I don't worry about the diesel, except I try to never buy from a small convenience store. I'm concerned they don't sell enough diesel and the tanks may get contaminated.
And that Sir is "the rest of the story".
There is a nearby convenience store that sells diesel fuel, not much traffic at this pump. Their price is about 10 cents less than Murphys a block away. I filled up my dually there one time, two fuel filters later, and a new tank of diesel corrected the problem_I thought. About a month later I had to have the injectors replaced in my LB7 Duramax. I don't know for sure it was the bad fuel or just the faulty injectors GM used at assembly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #14

As a independent fuel station owner....a few comments. As I know it...very few of the big brands hang their hats on diesel fuel. All of the contracts I have looked at are gasoline specific. The ones I have seen do not involve branding of the diesel - nor do they talk about diesel fuel additives. Gasoline - yes - diesel no. Some even allow you to buy diesel from other jobbers. I do not even buy the BIG BRAND gasoline additive story.....as the minimal cost for the additive versus how much more is charged for their fuel makes no sense. (One example) It costs them .003 cents per gallon for the additive but they try charging 10 cents more a gallon for their fuel....I can't imagine how effective a .003 cents additive is to improving their fuel. My opinion - its all a marketing gimmick. On the side of small independents.....some times they may turn more diesel than the corporate guys. The local construction businesses usually use most of the local diesel...and my guess the locals support the locals. In my case - I move a lot of diesel because of my independent status and the relations with the local businesses....stop at my local station and you get great fuel as I turn over my tanks at least once a week. I had a guy with a new pick up stop one day - his first diesel. He asked me how "fresh" my fuel is...I pointed at my full diesel island and said that company alone has 5 tractors that fuel here daily. No problem here.

DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, quality