Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #15
If it were mine & I thought it a problem, I would go to Costco/Sams/grocery store and buy 4 big jugs of vinegar. Pour that down the drain and maybe add one or two gallons of water-and just forget it. It will slosh down the road while taking any mineral deposits off the walls too. When it gets full just dump normally and forget about it. But it isn't mine so good luck. I don't like to let a quantity of bleach sit on my seals long. Last winter I ran pure vinegar into water heater and all lines. Let it set for 18 hours and flushed. You would not believe what came out.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT

2012 Nu Wa 363RSBDA
2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Duoglide1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:59 AM   #16
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I read somewhere on this forum that it's recommended to pour a quart of Pine-Sol in your tank with several gallons of water and drive for a while to sanitize and clean your grey and black tanks.
I plan on doing this as I leave out on my next trip.
I had read that the pine oil in Pine Sol was bad for the valve seals. I've avoided putting it in my tank even when using small amounts to mop the floor. I was considering using some liquid dish washer detergent to clean the gray tank but have not done so yet...

Chris and Jenny
Pottsboro, TX
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J
Miller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #17
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I let my motor home sit for five months after full timing in it for 11 years, crud on the walls dried and flaked off. When I used and dumped it the first time there were enough whitish flakes to clog the 5/8 hose I was using to dump the gray water into a stone filled sump on my property. Maybe something like that happened to your tank?
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Dawn. Add a cup to both black and grey after dumping, with a few gal of water and let the ride home wash the tanks and sensors clean.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #19
Thanks SO much everyone! I am now relaxed and might just be able to get fully packed by Monday still without needing to spend more hours on the gray tank...I think I will do the flush thing a few more times and just before we leave put some of my Wife's concoction she uses for the toilet and put a little down each drain, then some clear water to flush the traps. I know it includes some brand of dish soap, something by Calgon.. We are going to a place where I cant dump for a week so I will only put in a minimum amount. You know what? I may just drain it dry and do that when we leave for the next stop where there will be dumps.

Thanks again!!
Curt & Susan 2009 38' Newmar Grand Star 3752
Front Engine Diesel - Freightliner Chassis Cummins/Allison
Toad: Honda Element ("LIL HUM"), Ready Brute tow bar/braking, Protect-a-Tow
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #20
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
I use Dawn. Add a cup to both black and grey after dumping, with a few gal of water and let the ride home wash the tanks and sensors clean.
This works, and to the above mention to Pine-Sol bad for the seals, all I can say is from my experience using it in my tanks for years, I've never had a seal problem.

I do like the liquid dish washing detergent better, and I think it does a better job in helping keep the walls and sensors clean. (No specific brand)

Dan & Loretta, US Army Retired Aero Scout Pilot
2012 Fleetwood Providence 42P Class A/DP
Spartan Chassis, 8.9L Cummins 450HP
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #21
Try changing your diet. Oops, you said it was your GRAY water.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #22
Commercial Member
The colored flakes in both black & grey tanks is calcium. Pinsole & Calgon bath beads will help remove the calcium that comes from Hard Water. Happy Camping
06 HR Navigator 45'PBQ Detroit 60 / 2011 Ford Edge
USAF 72-82 A1E/A1H(SkyRaider) DW Retired Nurse
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by MoonchaserTX View Post
So, two things: 1) determine cause, and 2) clean tank

2) clean tank
So, when I flush the tank the water is still gray, and the "debris count" is going down so that's good. I sure wish I had a removable access port in the gray tank so I could hose it out...I can see one end of the tank from the drivers side..another day for that one. How does this sound? 1) Let the gray tank completely drain out now, 2) just before we leave Monday, pour in the kitchen sink, or the shower, a cup of bleach diluted in a couple gallons of water 3) leave for our trip, first stop is about 300 miles, that should cause some good sloshing of that 2 gallons of bleach water, 4) use the sinks normally that day then 5) drain the bleach water out and see what I have, but it should be OK by then I'm hoping?
I would add a couple more cups of bleach and at least 10 gallons of water. A 1/2 cup of Pinesol won't hurt either. Drive your 300 miles and dump your tanks when you get there and again before leaving next day. Then add a couple of gallons of water for your next drive. Always drive with a few gallons of water which will help keep the tank clean
Trap, Jan and the Pup
2013 Monaco Diplomat 43dft
2010 Black Jeep Liberty
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #24
I have to admit, with all the RVs I've had over the years, I've never for a moment worried about what the contents of my holding tanks looked like. My son borrowed my RV and returned it with the grey tank missing - now that was a concern .
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I read somewhere on this forum that it's recommended to pour a quart of Pine-Sol in your tank with several gallons of water and drive for a while to sanitize and clean your grey and black tanks.
I plan on doing this as I leave out on my next trip.
I had read that too. We are pulling out this afternoon. Just poured pine-sol down the drain and in down the toilet. Also added a cup of calgon. And a couple gallons of water. Gonna let it slosh around.
Tom and Barbara in Delaware, USAF Retired Aircraft Crew Chief
2001 Monaco Dynasty Regent DSO FD - 40 ft DP with Tag Axle - Towing a 2003 Jeep Wrangler

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we put our coach away last fall I flushed our black tank like I always have. This spring on our first campout I was getting erratic tank readings on our tank levels. I knew the tank was 1/4 or less but it would change from 2/3 to full and back to 1/3 just sitting. I called Winnebago help and they suggested that possible the outside surface senders had become detached some how.

When I left the campground I filled the black water tank about 1/2 full of water and added about 1/2 cup of Dawn Oxy soap. I also left the gray water about 1/2 and added soap to that as well. Driving to the next stop thoroughly flushed both tanks. When I arrived at the next stop I drained and flushed both tanks. You can't imagine the crud that drained out of the tanks. My tank level gauges work like they did when it was new. Perhaps if you tried that with your grey tank along with the bleach it may help with your problem. Just my thoughts. Good luck;

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote