Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #29
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've got two gray and two black tanks.

Like my old girlfriend used to say "The more the merrier!!"

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #30
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I've got two gray and two black tanks.

Like my old girlfriend used to say "The more the merrier!!"
What would be cool is if those were stacked grey over black and the grey tanks flushed through the blacks when dumping

Hmmm.. I can make fiberglass fuel tanks, this shouldnt be too hard...

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #31
Monaco Owners Club
Growing up, our early '70s camper had one tank. Guess who was responsible for managing it? It always leaked too. I'm happy we have two tanks now.
Kevin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #32
Originally Posted by Kevin123 View Post
Growing up, our early '70s camper had one tank. Guess who was responsible for managing it? It always leaked too. I'm happy we have two tanks now.

Your correct. I Just remember that now! Shoot it was a 60's Terry travel trailer Mom/Dad owned. Just one sewage tank and the fresh water tank was a aluminum air pressurized system. I wonder when they started to separate the gray and black waters?

When I used to dump while traveling, I installed a gate valve after the gray and black valves. I would close that valve, and open the gray, then the black valve. The gray being the fuller tank would drain into the black, back filling and stirring everything up in that tank then I would close off the gray, open the gate valve just before the hose and the black tank would drain with great gusto! Then follow it up with the gray tank.

I always thought the gray water tank smelled worse than the black tank. Maybe it is just my sh.... stuff smells better than everyone else's? Oh no, my better half looking over my shoulder reading this just said "Pete your sure full of shi.... stuff you know that". What do woman know, right?
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #33
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Though you believed you were doing the customer a favor, there's a real problem with your method.

The solid organics from toilet and kitchen waste eventually become "bacteria poop", and fall to the bottom of a septic tank. It is much like carbon black at the end of several "layers" of bacteria "digesting" it all.

The body oils from showering, and vegetable and animal fats from dish washing, need to be also separated from the "clear effluent" that is sent to the leech lines. It is what develops into the "scum mat" that floats at the top of the septic tank.

The septic tank acts as a "filter" to remove solids from clear effluent. Both the carbon and the scum need to be professionally pumped out and taken to a real waste treatment plant every few years, frequency depending on usage. It's like cleaning the "filter".

With your way, the greases will "clog" the soil, resulting in premature septic system failure.

An exception to this might be the laundry water, laden with light soils, greases, and detergents. A small, separate seepage pit filled with crushed rock will save the leech lines from some effluent disposal, increasing their effective "life". The location would need to be changed periodically, too.

Health authorities DO frown on this, however, and will insist that it ALL go through the septic tank.

I realize this has nothing to do with our holding tank discussion, and apologize for going off-topic.

In Texas, in some areas you are allowed to turn your grey water into a lawn sprinkler system. It is also because the clay soil can't absorb the water during the cycles of heavy rain (we do get it there, some years ), so it kind of solves two issues...too much rain and to little rain. I know several folks in McKinney who had this set up.

Pawnotes aka Dave and Carla
Jack n Kelly the ESS fur kids
00 Monaco Diplomat 38A
pawnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #34
This is a story from 2005.

A driver for the Dave Matthews Band admitted Wednesday that he emptied his bus' septic tank over the Chicago River last summer, drenching passengers on an architectural boat tour with 800 pounds of human waste.

Stefan Wohl, 42, was sentenced to 18 months of probation, 150 hours of community service and a $10,000 fine after pleading guilty to misdemeanor charges of reckless conduct and water pollution.

Wohl's guilty plea was the first time that the bus driver for the popular rock band publicly acknowledged discharging the waste. He initially denied the charge when interviewed by police, prosecutors said.

In a court hearing Wednesday morning, Wohl admitted that on the afternoon of Aug. 8, he discharged the septic tank while the bus crossed the grated Kinzie Street Bridge downtown, endangering about 100 sightseers riding the open-deck tourist boat passing under the bridge.

Full story here, Matthews Band bus driver pleads guilty to dumping waste in river - chicagotribune.com
1990 34' Hawkins Motor Coach, Oshkosh/460 Ford EFI. '97 Subaru Impreza 5 speed towd, NorthEast Alabama.
Manuel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #35
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some RV's have THREE tanks.

Wash is gray water WITHOUT the kitchen sink

Depending on where you happen to be parking

Dumping black on the ground is, far as I know Universally ILLEGAL, all locations. Please put it into the proper hole in the ground.

SOME places do allow the dumping of GRAY water.

Even more allow the dumping of WASH water

(Some places it all has to go into the hole, not on the ground).

And that is why the division.

In addition, I have been in parks that have gray water dump stations, These are not black water type holes but more like a storm drain that goes to a pit, rather than to a lake.

So the reason you have different tanks is ... There are different laws regarding the dumping of the contents of those tanks, Laws which (Except for black) vary from location to location.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote