Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why isn't engine battery a Deep Cycle type?

This may be kind of a dumb question, but I have been wondering why I could not use a Deep Cycle battery for the engine battery. I just replaced my House batteries because I had one DS battery that had a bad cell the other DS battery is perfect.
Is there a problem installing that DS for the engine battery. It seems it would last longer during long sitting times. I have a "Batteryminder" in use during storage times.

I have not done the change yet without some responses.

Thanks

Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
To oversimplify:

Deep cycle batteries are designed to provide a little current for a long time.

Starting batteries are designed to provide tremendous amounts of current for a very brief time.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rusty thanks for the response. I still wonder why the engine battery on the RV is any different in usage than that of a Inboard/outboard Boat. I have had a few of these and they all came with Marine DS batteries. The battery I took out of the RV was a Marine/RV Deep Cycle.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As another poster said. Deep cycle batteries are designed to discharge over 20 or more hours. a nice slow, steady flow of current. To do this they have thick, solid plates.

Starting batteries are designed to be "Flash in the pan" they can deliver almost as much power. but they normally do it in less than a minute. perhaps 3 minutes total cranking time and .. That's all she wrote.

So if you have a 100 AH battery (That would be what a Group 27) A deep cycle could deliver 5 amps for 20 hours

A starting battery 500 amps for 20 seconds (or less)

In reality, both you should go half-zies on the power drain

Starters, as I recall, are usualy in the 100 - 250 amp range

(But that said.. I"ve not measured one recently)
Old 04-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Starting a large block V-8 requires a lot of amps for a short period of time. My diesel truck has two batteries in parallel to start the high compression diesel.

Starting a marine OB does not require the power that is required for a big V-8. Ones that are used fro trolling motors are deep cycle to provide a lower current over a longer period of time.

Ken
Old 04-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ken, Thanks for the Information.
I am still confused as to why a Marine/RV Deep Cycle battery with a rating of 405 CCA and 505 MCA is not suffucient to start the 8.1 on occasion.

The boat I had had a large V8 (not an 8.1 by no means) and the Marine/RV Deep Cycle battery handled it just fine for years.

I probably will not change it out now after hearing from everyone. I just hate having to waste a good Deep Cycle Battery.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
My truck (see signature) uses 2 each group 27 batteries connected in parallel. Each battery is rated 750 cca.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:08 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
For a battery that is like a combination of a starting and deep cycle, use a GEL Cell battery... Super starting power, withstands deeper draining, plus fast recovery. Not cheap but worth it..
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnpe View Post
I am still confused as to why a Marine/RV Deep Cycle battery with a rating of 405 CCA and 505 MCA is not suffucient to start the 8.1 on occasion.

The boat I had had a large V8 (not an 8.1 by no means) and the Marine/RV Deep Cycle battery handled it just fine for years.

I probably will not change it out now after hearing from everyone. I just hate having to waste a good Deep Cycle Battery.
MARINE DS batteries are not actually full deep cycle batteries. they are a combination type of battery. your 8.1 will probably start just fine on your good marine battery. if you have problems you can use the boost switch which parallels your house batteries and your starting battery to get the engine started. if you do not have the boost switch, get a good set of jumper cables.
i would definitely use the battery you have.
when you do replace the starting battery, look for a good AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. lifeline, sears, optima and other manufacturers make good ones. they are less problematic than gel cells and cost less and will last just as long.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnpe View Post
A deep cycle battery can be used to start an 8.1 on occasion. Most motorhomes have an emergency start switch for use in case the starting battery goes dead. This switch connects the deep cycle house battery(ies) to the starting circuit and uses the house battery(ies) to start the engine.

A problem may arise if the temperature is very cold (the heavy plates in a deep cycle battery will not be able to produce enough power fast enough in cold weather) or if the house battery isn't fully charged, but most of the time it will work.

Also, as has been stated, a marine battery is more of a combination battery, so it will have an even better chance of cranking an 8.1 than a battery that is strictly designed as deep cycle.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
CD

Dunnpe
Any question you would like the answer to is NOT a dumb question. As has been said above, a Marine/RV DS is a compromise battery. They are not the best choice for either job. A true deep cycle may not even crank the engine over especially when engine is cold and weather is cold.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #12

Why can't you find a place for it and wire it in paralle and use house 3 batteries?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
CD

I think the answer to that is that one weeker battery will drag down all the others. Someone have a better explanation?

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A non-matching battery in parallel will let the weaker on drag down the stronger battery. The stronger battery actually will try to charge the weaker one and results in a loss of total power. If you want to parallel non-matching batteries, you should have them separated by a isolator switch to prevent this drain on the stronger battery.

The marine battery is not a true deep cycle battery and is a compromise. It can be used to start a larger engine with a high amp draw, but will not last as well in that application as a battery designed for higher amp draws on a frequent basis. Typically a boat engine is not started as often as a typical car or truck.

Ken