Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #15

Having driven tractor trailers and now my MH the extra power is nice when passing during an approaching hill. Being able to maintain speed on an incline is nice. I'm sure you have all been behind a semi that was overtaking another vehicle by 5 or 10mph only to enter an uphill grade and end up running along side the other vehicle until reaching the top of the incline. Aggregates other drivers who don't realize you have it mashed to the floor but still can't pass. Being able to set your cc and maintain the same speed makes for a more enjoyable driving experience for everyone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #16
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I am about to pick up our new to us 2000 Monaco Dynasty 36' coach. It has an 8.3 ltr ISC Cummins Turbo Diesel with 350 hp and 1050 lbs torque at 1450 rpm. I'd like to think that without a heavy foot, it should easily propel this coach down the road with minimal effort resulting in reasonable fuel savings by not having to put my foot through the floor to get going or climbing hills. I will likely be towing our new Ford F150 4x4 and it should do this this effortlessly.
I come from owning 2 gasser RVs and am tired of screaming engines and being passed and harassed up an ant hill.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
You have hit the nail on the head (I love woodworking tools as well)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did the mods on my coach for two reasons. One: I wanted better millage. Two: We were going out west and I wanted to be able to pull the mountain passes without any problems. We went out first in 2007. We were in a 35 ft. Pace Arrow with a V10. It was completely stock. We drove 5400 miles and averaged 7.84 miles per gallon. I modified my coach before the trip in 2008. In 2008 on the same trip as 2007 I averaged 8.33 miles per gallon. In 2009 I averaged 8.32
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Being raised in a farming community I learned early on that the more horses we have and the harder we work them the more they eat. It is hard for me to get excited with the idea that increasing HP will yield more mileage. I believe we end up using the increased HP to our driving advantage and either a decrease in MPG or no gain. IMHO

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Being raised in a farming community I learned early on that the more horses we have and the harder we work them the more they eat. It is hard for me to get excited with the idea that increasing HP will yield more mileage. I believe we end up using the increased HP to our driving advantage and either a decrease in MPG or no gain. IMHO

Don
In some cases more HP will give you better mpg. If you have an under powered engine that requires it to be at full throttle to propel the same mass that a larger engine can propel at half throttle it will consume less fuel.
Which is why all the little 4cyl engines in cars are going to turbo. They only need 50HP on flat cruising but need more HP to accelerate and pass and climb. The turbo allows for a smaller engine but increase the HP when needed. Also why the big dp are turbo too. But when too small the engine works too hard to be as effecient as a slightly bigger motor. Hope that makes sense.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #21

I have spent most of my life dealing with under powered aircraft and cars. I got good at dealing with those shortcomings. Now my DP is next. Also need more woodworking tools. Maybe some that fit in the DP!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
I have spent most of my life dealing with under powered aircraft and cars. I got good at dealing with those shortcomings. Now my DP is next. Also need more woodworking tools. Maybe some that fit in the DP!
You are a better man than me. That causes me stress.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I am about to pick up our new to us 2000 Monaco Dynasty 36' coach. It has an 8.3 ltr ISC Cummins Turbo Diesel with 350 hp and 1050 lbs torque at 1450 rpm. I'd like to think that without a heavy foot, it should easily propel this coach down the road with minimal effort resulting in reasonable fuel savings by not having to put my foot through the floor to get going or climbing hills. I will likely be towing our new Ford F150 4x4 and it should do this this effortlessly.
I come from owning 2 gasser RVs and am tired of screaming engines and being passed and harassed up an ant hill.
You are going to be in for a surprise I see.
A diesel is most efficient when pulling a grade at full fuel in a gear that
keeps RPM between 1800 and 2000.
The difference between a gas engine and a diesel is much like a sprinter
and a weight lifter on a track. The sprinter is fast off the line and down
the track but put some weight on them and they have to work hard to
try to over come this weight.
A weight lifter on the other hand takes time to get up to speed but can
maintain that speed over a longer distance, add weight not much difference in performance.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
In some cases more HP will give you better mpg. If you have an under powered engine that requires it to be at full throttle to propel the same mass that a larger engine can propel at half throttle it will consume less fuel.
Which is why all the little 4cyl engines in cars are going to turbo. They only need 50HP on flat cruising but need more HP to accelerate and pass and climb. The turbo allows for a smaller engine but increase the HP when needed. Also why the big dp are turbo too. But when too small the engine works too hard to be as effecient as a slightly bigger motor. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks Rob for your explanation and it makes sense to me. My present motor home is my fifth. I started with a 454 Chev, 8.1 Chev, and now my ISL Cummins. I have never been able to get better than 6.5 - 7.5 MPG pulling a toad. I do realize my Horizon weighs more that my previous motor Homes but diesel fuel has more BTU per gallon than gas also.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #25
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I am happy with mine, and cannot envision any gain that would be worth the effort, time, or $ to save a tad bit of time to get up a grade or have a slighly shorter elapsed time to get to cruising speed. It surely cannot add up to many minutes a day. Nor can any possible MPG gains pay off before the rig is traded.

Dave
For the same reason you can get a little green car driven by a hamster or a M-5 BMW. Different strokes and all that. Personally I like the power of being able to accelerate while heading up Monteagle, Tennessee or WolfCreek, Colorado. Sometimes it isn't just about dollars.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I am intrigued. It is a wonderment for me.

There are many threads about a need for more power.
More torque.
How to, or can I, or has anybody done this chip or that exhause pipe, etc.

Why?

I am happy with mine, and cannot envision any gain that would be worth the effort, time, or $ to save a tad bit of time to get up a grade or have a slighly shorter elapsed time to get to cruising speed. It surely cannot add up to many minutes a day. Nor can any possible MPG gains pay off before the rig is traded.

Are folks in that much of a hurry?

Is it a carry-over from motor-head days gone by?

Should MH vendors offer power options?

Do vendors have stock in after-market companies?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Dave
Hello Dave, since I am in the Power adder business I can offer some reasoning.

When a vehicle is underpowered for the weight and roads traveled it can be Frustrating and sometimes dangerous.

The factories will only give you the bare minimum to meet the market demands to maintain integrity to get you past the warranty period.

The Aftermarket steps in with Parts to address the Weaknesses built in to Vehicles.

Many times there are benefits of Better fuel economy and safer travel, and an overall more enjoyable travel experience.

This can significantly reduce Stress while Driving so it can be a Win Win.

Also when an Transmission has to constantly shift down and up and down and up too man times it just creates heat wear on the trans.

Having more power allows you to stay in OD Longer on Grades.

I think people realize that they will never go racing with a MH but More consistent road speeds, and the above mentioned amenities are Nice.

Ted.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #27

I drive a Prius as my commute car and I have a 70 GTO Judge with a 455 and a 4 speed in the garage for fun. That said I am a power hog. I always want more.
In the commute car I'm looking for 3 things only. Safety, reliability, and easy on gas. The Prius provides that. In the GTO I'm looking of any number of things but they never are reliability, or easy on gas. They are primarily, a blast to drive, blow away almost anything on the road, a defining retro look and color,( huger orange) thumbs up from many other drivers, and simply because I have something very few others have or are willing to want. You hear it before you see it and power is addictive beyond any drug. I also love to work on it. It took 12 years of my life to restore, and I know every inch of it. I love my GTO. I never commute in it. I also have a 6.7 liter Dodge Cummins diesel 4x4 to tow my 40 foot 5er. I bought it because it offers the best mileage, a great reliable motor, a highly competent tow vehicle, and because it's comfortable, but even at 350 horsepower and 780 ft lbs of torque I would like more. It's just my nature.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 03-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Why do people buy Hemi Cudas?

Why do others buy Prius's?

Answer....Because
Would not have a Hemi Cuda. Too slow and un-exciting. I'll keep my Ford. Ford GT.

50 years as America's Supercar.