Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #1

Why more power?

I am intrigued. It is a wonderment for me.

There are many threads about a need for more power.
More torque.
How to, or can I, or has anybody done this chip or that exhause pipe, etc.

Why?

I am happy with mine, and cannot envision any gain that would be worth the effort, time, or $ to save a tad bit of time to get up a grade or have a slighly shorter elapsed time to get to cruising speed. It surely cannot add up to many minutes a day. Nor can any possible MPG gains pay off before the rig is traded.

Are folks in that much of a hurry?

Is it a carry-over from motor-head days gone by?

Should MH vendors offer power options?

Do vendors have stock in after-market companies?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Dave
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #2

I think it's a gear head thing as there is no replacement for displacement. With that said I am happy with my 02 caterpillar 3126E. Its fun to make anything more efficient or more powerful or better to get the job done. Human nature. My .02 cents. Good idea for a thread. My compliments! !
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not after more power...but I would like to increase my MPG if it makes financial sense. If I could improve by one MPG for less than $1,000.00 investment, It would be well worth the money. Of course if you're satisfied with what you've got, go ahead and enjoy yourself...everybody to his own thing.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with you Dave.

We've done a lot of traveling and I don't think a power increase would change my enjoyment level one iota.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Because I can.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
While I'm very happy with our coach, my biggest fear is waking up one day and not being able to think of something else I can do to it to make it better. That includes how it lives and how it runs and drives. I have a full page, single spaced, of modifications since 2004 and see no end in sight. I don't think my wife totally understands this either, but she just shrugs and barely even rolls her eyes anymore at my hair-brained schemes.

Glad you're satisfied,
Dave
Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
N-e-e-d m-o-r-e p-o-w-e-r !!! GRRR!!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #8

I'm sure that some of this is the gearhead, Tim Allen, in men in general!

For me it is not about MPG, it about safety. Again for my coach, just an extra 30-50HP, and say 1275-1325TQ, would give me the added power I'd like. It would come in handy while coming up to speed in traffic. It would help regain speed when lost while in slower traffic on hill climbing.

Not trying to win races, not trying to go 5 mph while climbing mountain grades.

And, you know we're helping the economy - one coach enhancement at a time!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mo power

Why do people buy Hemi Cudas?

Why do others buy Prius's?

Answer....Because
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davel View Post
While I'm very happy with our coach, my biggest fear is waking up one day and not being able to think of something else I can do to it to make it better. That includes how it lives and how it runs and drives. I have a full page, single spaced, of modifications since 2004 and see no end in sight. I don't think my wife totally understands this either, but she just shrugs and barely even rolls her eyes anymore at my hair-brained schemes.

Glad you're satisfied,
Dave
Same as you..................
Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have owned a MH that was underpowered and my present MH that has plenty of power for it's size. The underpowered one could get very scary. You were always driving with your face in the rear view mirror in the mountains and over to the side so as not to impede approaching traffic from behind.
Having the power to keep up with traffic in all situations makes for a very relaxing ride.
I guess if I lived and traveled in Kansas, power would be a non issue !!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #12

The definition of a motor is this; a mechanical device which doesn't produce enough power.

Therefore, someone finds a way to get more power. This is true for any displacement or application!
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
My rig is the first CLass A I have owned and I love it. We took a good test drive and challenged it on some hills and valleys. I did well. Of course, looking back, I suspect it was pretty much destined to do well due to my lack of experience. Since taking possession, I still love it!

I have noted a few areas where safety is compromised in its performance. I have noted several very tense situations entering an Interstate where the power "failed" to produce results in relatively flat situations. I have worked with the dealer and Ford to diagnose the situation and have received the same answer, "Yes, we experienced the problem but the computer shows nothing wrong. Bring it back if it does it again." That is why I am looking for improved performance and I will research all methods available.

As one person noted about fuel performance, at 6.1MPG, it would not take much increase to pay for a $1,000 investment IF it works. I am taking at 7,500 trip this summer. That is 1,230 gallons at my current rate. At 7.5MPG it would be an approximate $950 savings in three months depending upon the cost of gas. Not a bad start on paying back the investment.

I am glad you are satisfied. I love my Tiffin and am glad I bought it. I do have areas to work on and hope I continue to enjoy it and keep working to make it even more enjoyable.
jubilee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I marvel at folks who can a do this stuff and/or enjoy having it done, it is not for me. I'm chicken.

Some blow the MH engine up in the attempt and have fun trying, but it is not for me to wonder why. Maybe they can afford it, I can't.

Because when it comes to woodworking tools money is no object, I want another, got to have just one more, a little sharper, or the one with a little more power.

Why my wife needs another sewing machine, now that is the real question? Or why my neighbor needs more gardening tools, or a better saddle for his horse, or the other guy wants a bigger TV?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote