Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winnebago previously had a detailed sheet with all the actual weight specs in one of the cabinets. recently while looking at new units they do not do that anymore, they now post this.

majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As already said, CCC is required for all MH. HOWEVER...that doesn't mean you will get specific axle or even corner weights.

I have a big gasser...1603 CCC. This summer we had it loaded rather lightly for part time. With full fuel, water and propane I only have 275# that I can add to the rear axle and 375# available on the front. I have my front basement areas loaded with as much as I can and as far forward as possible so if I add any significant weight anywhere in it will affect the rear axle more than the front.

So, Newmar's UVW is nice to know but that is a stock coach without any options. Using data I have gleaned from anecdotal commentary I can see that there could be anywhere from 2000-2500# of options on a typical DS or MA coach. In my search I have a spreadsheet that uses the UVW to calculate a CCC based on 2500# of options. In some cases that results in a very scary number (even a NEGATIVE number) which occurs mostly in the 40' models with 4 slides.

The bottom line is that I will have any coach weighed before I buy it so that I can find out how the CCC is distributed unless the coach comes with actual axle weight. If I see the axle weights are on the high side I will get it weighed to make sure corner weights are balanced/manageable. Now, if I am fortunate enough to afford a tag axle model, I will be much less worried about this whole issue.

So...

To the statement of Route 66 that Newmar is the only coach manufacturer that weighs each vehicle, I'm not sure that is absolutely true. It is certainly possible that some manufacturers have a calculated weight but I don't know that for a fact either. Best practice...get it weighed!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #17

Published weights have been available to me on all the mfg sites

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
Obviously weight is not the only thing I'm interested in. But I think understanding whether or not you are close to (or exceeding) the maximum load recommended by the chassis manufacturer is worth knowing.
For all the vehicles Ive ever purchased... I always gotten a real world curb weight from a local scale.
Im always amazed at how inaccurate manufacturers "listed" weights are.

Unless you are hauling around a trailer full of product to trade shows... its pretty hard to get over loaded in a modern class A.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd
Unless you are hauling around a trailer full of product to trade shows... its pretty hard to get over loaded in a modern class A.
This should generate some good discussion.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
...Unless you are hauling around a trailer full of product to trade shows... its pretty hard to get over loaded in a modern class A.
Define Modern. LOL

I think the tricky part is that some may have a "reasonable" total CCC but how well is it balanced? How easy is it to move things around to balance it out? That is part of my issue for my gasser. I don't think larger gassers are as forgiving.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss

Define Modern. LOL

That is part of my issue for my gasser. I don't think larger gassers are as forgiving.
Sky_Boss - same exact edit with 1 minute separation. Stack em - turn em and clear em.

When I was doing my research a while back I found what you say to be true. Can't recall the max weight gas chassis - 22.5 k or there about's (guessing) but there is a max and it gets all kinds of lengths, options and floor plans built on on it. Every time they got longer and more features capacity went down. This is what put me in a DP.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Sky_Boss - same exact edit with 1 minute separation. Stack em - turn em and clear em.

When I was doing my research a while back I found what you say to be true. Can't recall the max weight gas chassis - 22.5 k or there about's (guessing) but there is a max and it gets all kinds of lengths, options and floor plans built on on it. Every time they got longer and more features capacity went down. This is what put me in a DP.
LOL Only 1 minute? Caution wake turbulence!

Mine is 24K# but nearly 39' long. Me, wife, 2 90# GSDs, dog food for them, food for us, tools, air compressor, and all the other normal stuff doesn't leave me much working weight. I actually have more storage area than I can use. As a pilot I am weight and balance conscious. I too regularly get on my soap box about this subject.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Define Modern. LOL

I think the tricky part is that some may have a "reasonable" total CCC but how well is it balanced? How easy is it to move things around to balance it out? That is part of my issue for my gasser. I don't think larger gassers are as forgiving.
Any of the gassers on 22.5 or larger wheels?

My rig doesnt have pass through storage and the compartments might hold a couple hundred lbs at best. If you include all the linens/kitchen supplies... maybe 350lbs at the most. (very generous)

With a full tank of water, propane, and fuel... plus my standard cargo... I still have ~1100lbs of capacity.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss

LOL Only 1 minute? Caution wake turbulence!
Mine is 24K# but nearly 39' long.
Maybe you could have a heavy wake turbulence bumper sticker made for the Winnie.

I'll bet if you go back to the brochures you'd find the same chassis / power being used on models from maybe 34' up to the longest they made (which may be what you have).

Dad always told me to buy the small house in the neighborhood up from the big house in the neighborhood I could afford. Unfortunately with Motorhomes we can get priced out of the market pretty quickly and have to make tradeoffs. My intent is to begin full time Jan 1 2014 so capacity was a priority.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Any of the gassers on 22.5 or larger wheels?

My rig doesnt have pass through storage and the compartments might hold a couple hundred lbs at best. If you include all the linens/kitchen supplies... maybe 350lbs at the most. (very generous)

With a full tank of water, propane, and fuel... plus my standard cargo... I still have ~1100lbs of capacity.
I have the 235/80R/22.5 wheels. I'm on the W24 chassis and we might have had an honest 1500# CCC after adding 2 pax and 2 dogs and that seem like a fair amount. Our biggest problem is that a lot of the weight is just too far aft. We did add at least 35-50# when we converted to the Amish Cooling Unit but that is well worth the penalty. I wish I had had it weighed before we bought it to verify the CCC that was listed. I just wonder if it was accurate?

Keep in mind the CCC includes 2 154# people and I am certainly not 154# LOL Add 160# of dogs and before we add anything our CCC is down to 1300# which is more aft than front. Like I said, my problem is the location of the weight. Sigh LOL
Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Newmar is one of or the only manufacturer that weighs each MH as it comes off the line and prints that info on a sticker provided with each MH.
When did they start doing that? I ask because they didn't publish the actual weights and refused to give them to me on our 2002 when I inquired about it in 2003. I did finally get them through an accident made by one of their support people.

The advertised NCC was 5,300#'s but the actual CCC was 663#'s as all of that was on the rear axle and the front was overweight by 50#'s if I filled the fuel and propane tanks BEFORE we ever loaded it or got onboard.

Fixed by putting a new 14,600# axle under it to replace the 12,000# one. Did have to go up in front tire size to use that new capacity though. But one good thing is that Spartan looked the rig over and said there was no reason to derate the rear axle to 19,000#'s as Newmar did, it's a 20,000# axle/frame etc. So between it all I gained 3,600#'s of CCC.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have tried everything I know to find out the weight, so I guess I will just go to the scales and weigh it. I just will wait until I am going out for a weekend trip, then get it weighed. You would think there would be some resource with the information.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #28
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I think it was not too long after the early 2000's. Back then there were front axle weight issues and there was a campaign to replace the front tires with a larger size. I believe that led to the current weighing as the MH leaves the line and an accurate weight posted on the sticker.

The CCC that Newmar provides is relatively accurate, as mine was. I had over 5,000# of CCC.

Some manufactures state a CCC based on a base model with no options, therefore that actual CCC is much less than stated.

Newmar weighs each wheel, but the sticker only states total weight. The factory reps can provide the individual wheel weights as they did for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
When did they start doing that? I ask because they didn't publish the actual weights and refused to give them to me on our 2002 when I inquired about it in 2003. I did finally get them through an accident made by one of their support people.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote