Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #1

Why no published weights?

Hi. My first post!
I've been doing some pretty hard looking for a future Class A (gas) and so far have noticed that the only manufacturer that publishes an "unloaded vehicle weight" seems to be Newmar. Perhaps others do and I just haven't seen them yet but certainly the standard is to keep this information under wraps.

Any idea why? My suspicion is of course that if they were proud of it they would let us know.

It doesn't instil a lot of confidence when what should be a critical piece of information is withheld. Or maybe I'm over reacting.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
rv.org publishes the GVWR and payloads for all coach models they rank.
You will soon have a number of folks singing the praises of various coaches for various reasons. What you have to do is arm yourself with knowledge about coaches and what will fit your need not those of us who give you the advice on what to buy.
Here's a great starting place to arm yourself. rv.org pay what they're asking, it will be the best money you spend on your coach. Read all the material then look at their ratings for various coaches (I have found it to be right on the money) Decided what coaches will work for you. Then go to oodle.com, it searches all over the web, plug in what you want. It will even email you daily updates if you check that box. Beware of deals that sound too good to be true, they are not. Plan on doing some traveling to look at coaches, and take your time to buy one that is right for you.
Good Luck, happy hunting, and have fun

rv.org publishes the GVWR and payloads for all coach models they rank.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Pumper. I actually have a Class A now and am looking at upgrading. The next one I hope to keep for several years so am trying to do lots of research.
I've looked at the rv.org and thought that it might be worthwhile however in searching this and other forums it seems there are more people feeling its a waste of money versus those singing its praise.
Still, I'm of the mindset that one can never have too much information. That said, I know that with motor homes one can research themselves right out of buying one!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Newmar is one of or the only manufacturer that weighs each MH as it comes off the line and prints that info on a sticker provided with each MH.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Newmar is one of or the only manufacturer that weighs each MH as it comes off the line and prints that info on a sticker provided with each MH.
I think this is important information. One more big check mark beside Newmar!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Just email the manufacture or have your dealer contact them and ask for the weight of the coach your interested in with the options you want, have yet to find one that wouldn't do this.

They may be hesitant to publish weight's cause of all the options that could be added and how confusing it then gets.

Be prepared to be surprised with how little CCC you may have with a 40' DP without a tag axle.

When we we're looking at a 40' Winnebago 40CD back in late 2010, optioned out the way we wanted we we're down to 1700lbs of CCC, which may be why they only make 42' Tags in the Tour line now.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
you're overreacting. Well unless of course weight is the only thing you are interested in? If you plan on hauling lots of weight... a gasser might not be the ideal platform.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting! My Georgie Boy manuals came with individual wheel weights on a weigh slip. I thought all manufacturer's did that.
(Georgie Boy no longer exists)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

IMO, you're not over reacting at all and are focused on a very critical piece of information when it comes to determining if a particular coach is going to meet your needs. As you've probably figured out, GVWR is nice but it's the CCC that we really use and many rigs come off the line with not very much of it.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't think that is true nowadays, since the federally required OCCC weight label specifies the actual carrying capacity of the coach and is required by law to be accurate for that specific coach. Can't do that without knowing the exact weight of the coach as it leaves the factory. The actual UVW is also shown on the federal weight & tire certification label on the wall by the driver seat.

I think the manufacturers stopped showing UVW in their brochures and websites because there can be a lot of weight variation as the coach is configured with options and also for differing floor plans. Any number they picked for a the UVW of a given model would at best be an average or typical weight, but couldn't possibly be accurate for each and every coach of that model they built. These days they can get in trouble if they state one UVW in their advertising, yet deliver the coach with a federal label that says something else. So they stopped providing it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
you're overreacting. Well unless of course weight is the only thing you are interested in? If you plan on hauling lots of weight... a gasser might not be the ideal platform.
+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm more familiar with the Winnebago line, and if you search on the year and model number and include the word "specifications" you should see all the weights, front and rear axle and GCW. Works for me.

Edited: Curious, so I just picked Fleetwood Bounder Gas, and went to their site. Their brochure has the weights for each axle and GCWR.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Curious, so I just picked Fleetwood Bounder Gas, and went to their site. Their brochure has the weights for each axle and GCWR.
Wayne, it is actual weights I'm after not permissible weights.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Obviously weight is not the only thing I'm interested in. But I think understanding whether or not you are close to (or exceeding) the maximum load recommended by the chassis manufacturer is worth knowing.