Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #29

For us, it would be about the DW not having to get up whenever I exit and enter the cabin. She isn't a kid anymore, and getting up becomes a chore that could be eliminated with a ME coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #30
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
Why don't you put details or your coach in your signature ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
Why?
It can help those responding to your questions give a better, more focused response. Not all questions or answers are type or model dependent, but many are.

As for "why front door", I agree that the biggest factor is maximizing usable space. Just using our coach as example, all else being the same, we'd end up with a "dead wall" in front of the passenger chair and would have to give up either a sofa or half our kitchen to fit in a mid-door. The chassis configuration in most gassers also dictates a mid-door configuration. A front entry door/steps would interfere with the drivetrain and/or the steer axle and tire.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #31
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
We absolutely love our mid entry door in our Beaver!

- DW sits right across from me
- DW has full unobstructed view without door and screen right there
- DW doesn't have to retract her chair and step cover on my exit
- Direct access to kitchen and bathroom right onto ceramic tile
- Quick access to kitchen to make a cocktail
- Quick access to bathroom because of cocktails
- No stepping over fold out bed or sleeping peeps when I'm up at 5AM
- Door exits under main awning. No added awning required

With our 40' DP we see no discernible loss of real estate and only see pluses to our mid entry door. One of the main reasons I bought the Beaver!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436879795.435699.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	100111

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436879851.085187.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	100112

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436879932.829557.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	100113

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436879983.225539.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	100114

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436880146.531356.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	100115
Old 07-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
We absolutely love our mid entry door in our Beaver!

- DW sits right across from me
- DW has full unobstructed view without door and screen right there
- DW doesn't have to retract her chair and step cover on my exit
- Direct access to kitchen and bathroom right onto ceramic tile
- Quick access to kitchen to make a cocktail
- Quick access to bathroom because of cocktails
- No stepping over fold out bed or sleeping peeps when I'm up at 5AM
- Door exits under main awning. No added awning required

With our 40' DP we see no discernible loss of real estate and only see pluses to our mid entry door. One of the main reasons I bought the Beaver!

Attachment 100111

Attachment 100112

Attachment 100113

Attachment 100114

Attachment 100115
Strangely ours is very similar....

NOT offering the option simplifies manufacturing. Having it up front makes it look like a "Bus", so the marketing guys love it. It really is personal choice as the space can be as efficient as the manufacturer is creative. We love ours!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #33

Les nailed it--of course it is personal choice and to each their own. Yes-- there is some loss of useable floor space and storage but the convenience of leaving/entering thru your kitchen area verses disrupting your spouse's "nest" ever time you stop is priceless. Frankly, the little awnings that people have over their front doors cracks me up. Anyway, cant help but believe its a perception thing--if you have a front door--it must be a "bus/coach," if you have a mid-door, its just a motor home??????? No analysis please--just saying.....smile
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #34

We just bought a 36' Class A Gasser with a mid-door. Winnebago Vista 36Y. Pleased all around with the overall quality.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
For us, it would be about the DW not having to get up whenever I exit and enter the cabin. She isn't a kid anymore, and getting up becomes a chore that could be eliminated with a ME coach.
No need for the wife to get up when I exit and enter the coach.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #36

....besides the large window that opens at my spouse's wish...the #1 reason I dont like a front door is------wind noise while driving!!!!!!!!
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #37

My front entry must be different than everyone elses. My wife pushes her seat back a bit(and leaves it there), and never has to use the step cover. I can pass without her having to get up. The door has no wind noise.

If you like the mid door, that's great! But the statement that it doesn't consume any usable space is kind of absurd. But you may not miss that space, which is great. We have a full size table (three of us always eat there) and an additional chair behind the passenger chair. Not everyone needs/wants that. That's cool!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #38

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
My front entry must be different than everyone elses. My wife pushes her seat back a bit(and leaves it there), and never has to use the step cover. I can pass without her having to get up. The door has no wind noise.

If you like the mid door, that's great! But the statement that it doesn't consume any usable space is kind of absurd. But you may not miss that space, which is great. We have a full size table (three of us always eat there) and an additional chair behind the passenger chair. Not everyone needs/wants that. That's cool!
My guest is that you don't have a front computer drawer where your wife can follow the ongoing trip; I guess that you do have an excellent co-pilot sitting 3 feet behind you...
Do you use walkie talkie to talk to one another ?
Old 07-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #39

Computer? Man we are enjoying the road! I never really noticed her being behind me
Old 07-17-2015, 08:53 PM   #40

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
Computer? Man we are enjoying the road! I never really noticed her being behind me

If your wife never uses the step cover, it means that she is sitting behind the front door entrance, so somewhere behind your vision !

I guess you don't use a computer while travelling.
Our computer is used to find ongoing infos on our upcoming destination, like "how many milles for the next rest area, the next Wall Mart, or the next truck stop or this type of restaurant to have a descent meal".
It keeps the wife busy instead of knitting or crosswording or reading...
She, just as I do, focuses on the road and whenever I need an information, she finds it quickly as we roll down the road.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
If your wife never uses the step cover, it means that she is sitting behind the front door entrance, so somewhere behind your vision !

I guess you don't use a computer while travelling.
Our computer is used to find ongoing infos on our upcoming destination, like "how many milles for the next rest area, the next Wall Mart, or the next truck stop or this type of restaurant to have a descent meal".
It keeps the wife busy instead of knitting or crosswording or reading...
She, just as I do, focuses on the road and whenever I need an information, she finds it quickly as we roll down the road.
She sits just a little further back than I do. Maybe 6". She can put her feet to the left of the steps which is stretched out forward. Bring feet toward chair, and people can pass easily. Other coaches must have bigger stair openings or something. I sit fairly far back anyhow at 6'4". I don't need to look at her while I am driving.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #42

To be clear: I never said it was wrong to have a mid door. All I stated is that the reason pushers generally put them up front is because they can, and it takes up less space. It doesn't have to mean that it is better somehow.

Tags
door