Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

Question Why not more mid-door MHs?

Why do most MHs have a front door instead of a mid-door?
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #2

This front door configuration is common on diesels. The chassis design of diesels puts the front axle back several feet from the front of the coach. That, along with the fact that there is no engine "doghouse" in the way up front makes a front door pretty attractive. It also maximizes wall space in the coach. A mid door is very convenient but occupies some valuable real estate when every foot is used for something.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most new gas MH have the door right behind the passenger seat.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #4

It's very simple; When buyers had a choice, they wanted the front door. My year coach was available as a front or mid door, yet I have only seen one example of a mid door. All the other coaches in that year group were front door versions.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
This front door configuration is common on diesels. The chassis design of diesels puts the front axle back several feet from the front of the coach. That, along with the fact that there is no engine "doghouse" in the way up front makes a front door pretty attractive. It also maximizes wall space in the coach. A mid door is very convenient but occupies some valuable real estate when every foot is used for something.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
I think that pretty much nails it. The front entry affects usable space very little, so it ends up being the normal choice. There are a few situations where people like mid entry, but that tends to not be the norm. If it were not for the doghouse, most gassers would probably have the door up front.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
I prefer a lot more walking in my mh in the kitchen area where you usually drop your groceries instead of walking across the living room area !
I wish I could find a 3-5 year old mid door dp, I'd buy it now replacing my alcoolique gasser !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #7

I really think you wont find a mid entry DP only few yrs old.. although the old ones did. Like the '90's as our '97 London Aire is mid entry with driver entry door. and that usable space people talk about is used in the front for a recliner instead of kitchen ....again I guess we don't have the full flat windshield as ours is sloped for better wind resistance.. I really think that's why we get 9.5 to 10 mpg consistently...
Old 07-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I like the placement of the door on my 2003 Itasca Sun-cruiser. You enter behind the recliner, but with the kitchen counter on the left as you enter!
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
I like the placement of the door on my 2003 Itasca Sun-cruiser. You enter behind the recliner, but with the kitchen counter on the left as you enter!
If your sun-cruise had a entry door infront of the passenger seat, you would come up the steps and run directly into the engine cover. Right?

L.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes
Old 07-13-2015, 05:07 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Better use of space. The mid door takes up one storage bay door. But we do prefer a mid entry, just couldn't find one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436829458.994220.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	100044
Here is the layout for mine.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #13

As others have said, front entry utilizes space that is otherwise "dead" once you get somewhere. It looks like the "front kitchen" models address the folks that don't want to have to walk through the living room.

To be honest, the front area becomes out "mud room" when stopped. Leashes are there, and we cut an all-season/all-weather rug to fit the front area to trap snow/sand/mud before we enter the rest of the coach.

But as others have said...it gets harder to find mid-entries the newer you go...for whatever reason, the market/sales don't seem to support them.

Steve
Old 07-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReeder View Post
Attachment 100044
Here is the layout for mine.
Why don't you put details or your coach in your signature ?
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door